To Our Drum Corps Brethren On The Gulf Coast

Thanks for the well wishes. I think most of us are as ready as we can be. They have been evacuating the south side most of the day and traffic is a mess....though not as bad as it was when Rita came in 3 years ago. The equipment is stored as well as it can be and hopefully we wont have any issues to deal with on that front once this is over. I have a few more things to do around the house tomorrow to batten down the hatches and prepare to ride this out. Maybe one more trip to the liquor store tomorrow for last minute supplies.....anyone know where you can get a battery powered blender? :tongue:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.............Stay safe, GCS!

Rumor has it we may get a piece of this thing too in the DFW area............but you'll probably get the brunt of it. I hope everyone comes through safely.

Rumor has it that it's gonna cause localized tornados around here. Normally the big ones fork right once they hit land, and we stay dry for weeks. But not always the case. And it's been a while since we've had a significant storm here. As opposed to last year(2007) where it rained almost every day for three months straight.

I feel for Houston though. Low areas (coast lines) are a bit more prone to flooding. And it looks like this one has some girth to it. As I try to access sub pages on weather.com with details / content and they're all media pages. Which takes over an hour to load over dialup. Sure hope it's nothing important.

Predictions along the coastal communities and in Galveston are for a 20 ft storm surge and winds at around 120mph. Its not going to be fun for any of those folks down south that decided to ride it out. The north and northwest communities where I and quite a few of the GCS members reside are predicted to have 60-70 mph winds and about 8 inches of rain. Its going to make tonight interesting for sure.

Hey Guys we are all thinking of you... Stay Safe...

Good Luck to our friends that are going to be coming eye-to-eye ... (I know, terrible hurricane pun) ... with the storm. I've been through a few when I lived in Florida - and DO NOT miss it a bit.

We'll keep ya'll in our prayers.

-john

Much love from the Govies!

Maybe you guys can move about 150 miles up from the storm track and hold a DCA championship in memory of Ernesto. :tongue:

Keep your heads down! :ph34r: and see you back in Manassas in 2009 :ph34r:

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

best of wishes to every one else.

I actually headed to Houston from Port Arthur as opposed to heading north or into Louisiana. I am more worried about my families house than anything from the storm surge. I think South East Texas, is sadly going to get it much worse than most other places.

predicted storm surge. watching the graphic takes a minute because it is over today and tomorrow. There is a clock in military time on it.

ftp://ftp.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov/surge/Latest/i46_bp3.gif

as the crow flies were a little over two miles from that lake. (I'm not sure why the image is so small)

ddd.jpg

that x type thing is roughly where my families house is. hopefully the surge isn't as high as they predict. We shall see.

Edited by Trey_b