Meehaphone Sighting!

Scooter Pirtle

Hello:

Geeky, I know, but a recent visit to Marian College in Indianapolis with Angel Velez, their Director of Bands, resulted in an encounter with a unique drum corps relic (apologies for the bad iPhone pic):

meehaphonemariancollege.jpg

It's one of the original Meehaphones used by the Blue Devils from '97 through '91. I didn't grab the serial number, but I will on a return visit.

Marian College is developing its music program and they are also adding a drum and bugle corps to their music department. Marian College actually utilized a drum and bugle corps in the 1960s called the "Blue Knights" that represented the college admirably.

If they have a Meehaphone on display in their lobby, they've definitely got some good drum corps karma going!!

Ironically, they also hosted the Blue Devils' A and B Corps this summer. I wonder if they left the Meehaphone behind?

BTW, legend has it that the fleet of Meehaphones was lost in shipment after the Blue Devis sold them in the early 1990s. Has anyone else encountered one of these benevolent critters in the wild lately?

Also, I wonder what the three letter engraving below the Kanstul crest on this instrument stands for. It's "MFL."

Hmmmm.

If anyone is interested, I think there is a Meehaphone in the Renegades Corps Hall. I'll haul it out and put it on eBay, if it still around. We may have given it to Frank Dorittie for his collection.

If anyone is interested, I think there is a Meehaphone in the Renegades Corps Hall. I'll haul it out and put it on eBay, if it still around. We may have given it to Frank Dorittie for his collection.

I, for one, am interested!!

Do you still have any of the Warburton mouthpieces that were created for these monsters?

I will only talk to you about this if you show up for the next Mellocast.

:tongue:

The horn I have access to does not have a mouthpiece.

I will only talk to you about this if you show up for the next Mellocast.

:tongue:

The horn I have access to does not have a mouthpiece.

And, the horn you have access to is lacking a first valve LOL

(GOOD LUCK finding a replacement valve for one of these monsters.......yer gonna need it!)

I was actually at Jack's house the day that they arrived there. I think that I may have been the first one to ever play a production model. And later we found out that they had installed the valves incorrectly on some of them! :tongue:

And Chris, if there still is one at the corps hall, I want it for MY collection! :ph34r:

Edited by DoubleHighEZ

I was actually at Jack's house the day that they arrived there. I think that I may have been the first one to ever play a production model. And later we found out that they had installed the valves incorrectly on some of them! :tongue:

And Chris, if there still is one at the corps hall, I want it for MY collection! :ph34r:

As one who actually played one in the Devils, you can HAVE the ###### thing!

Always good to see ya surface Larrie.................hope all is well :ph34r:

"Mother F###### Loud" is my guess!

As God as my witness, that's exactly what Ziggy told me it stood for.

The board is yours, my friend:

"Thanks, Alex, I'll take 'Beers of the World' for $500."