Meehaphone Sighting!

Scooter Pirtle

4 Eb Trumpet

16 Bb Trumpet (or 8 Bb Trumpets and 8 Bb Cornets)

Chris, question from a dumb drummer here; what would the Eb trumpets do that the Bb trumpets would not?

+++

Side comment: What, no King flugals? (a la BD in the early 80's) :withstupid:

And another meaninless side comment: I don't think the key of the tubas is as important as the size. Everybody seems to like those HUGE Contra Grande's, but I remember the old smaller contra bugles, and man could BD ever project and focus the sound with 6 to 8 of those smaller horns!

Eb trumpets are pitched higher than Bb trumpets and have a bit more of a bite to them.

Agreed. But never say never. Someday, someone will grow a pair and go against the tyranny of the 4 voice choir (5 if you count Euphs).

I would be interested to hear a Bb/Eb line - that would be cool. Eb tubas would add a great low end. Of maybe I am just geeking out because I am playing in a brass band. Here's a wacky thought:

4 Bb Piccolo

4 Eb Trumpet

16 Bb Trumpet (or 8 Bb Trumpets and 8 Bb Cornets)

6 Eb Mellophones (I know, they don't exist - would need a custom slide)

10 Bb French Horns

12 Bb Baritones

12 Bb Euphoniums

8 Bb Tubas

8 Eb Tubas

When I first heard the proposal for any-key brass, I naively thought corps would add voices to their existing lines. I thought we would see something like the following, at least for better-off corps:

F or G angel horns, Bb or C trumpets, G flugels and mellos, F frenchies, Bb baris, G euphs and BBb and GG contras.

Can you imagine what Hy, Jim or Tru would have done with that? Mind you, according to a quote from Hy it was the G choir voicing that produced the unique drum corps sound. Still, it would have been something to hear. There's nothing like 6 part bass and bari harmony for the Tsar's Hymn segment of the 1812 overture.

Robert

When I first heard the proposal for any-key brass, I naively thought corps would add voices to their existing lines. I thought we would see something like the following, at least for better-off corps:

F or G angel horns, Bb or C trumpets, G flugels and mellos, F frenchies, Bb baris, G euphs and BBb and GG contras.

Can you imagine what Hy, Jim or Tru would have done with that? Mind you, according to a quote from Hy it was the G choir voicing that produced the unique drum corps sound. Still, it would have been something to hear. There's nothing like 6 part bass and bari harmony for the Tsar's Hymn segment of the 1812 overture.

Robert

I know that back in the G-D days, Hy was writing some charts with 5 part bass and bari harmony. (Along with 3+ sop, 1 mello and 2 frenchie parts.)

• 5 years later...

Hey, does anyone happen to know if any of these horns are for sale?

• 2 years later...

Came across this thread.  Very interesting.  I played the Meehaphone with the 1991 BD and I love the sound.  

So I went to work on a 3-valves F version, and I had it done couple of weeks ago.

15622349_581006925416670_20595608691668615590930_581006935416669_980313163247898

• Like 1

Interesting necro'd thread. That new 3-valve version is an interesting looking horn. What's it sound like? Does the 3rd valve make it feel a bit "stuffier"?

Speaking of 3rd valves and insane horns, why don't you try and make a 2 valve Bb soprano? I've heard constantly, and experienced myself, that 2 valve horns were freer blowing (and louder) than 3 valve horns. Why not make a "lead" Bb soprano that someone can blow the heck out of?

21 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

Interesting necro'd thread. That new 3-valve version is an interesting looking horn. What's it sound like? Does the 3rd valve make it feel a bit "stuffier"?

Speaking of 3rd valves and insane horns, why don't you try and make a 2 valve Bb soprano? I've heard constantly, and experienced myself, that 2 valve horns were freer blowing (and louder) than 3 valve horns. Why not make a "lead" Bb soprano that someone can blow the heck out of?

Kanstul is still making them, so I'll leave that market to them.  My goal is to create and explore a new market, I think what I'm doing can achieve that. 

What's missing with the traditional key is the soprano bugle and contrabass sound.  

The trumpets sounds very thin and their smaller 4/4 size tuba is being buried by electronics.  That's why the sound of modern day drum corps is hallow.  

All you have to do is listen to 1986 Blue Devils and 2017 Blue Coast, you will be able to tell the missing element. 

As for the horn, I played the original megaphone with 91 BD, and my latest creation actually plays a lot better in tune.  This is a prototype, the question is if I can get a group to play them, so I can put it through production.  

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Why not just make something like an alto flugelhorn (still in G, or I guess Bb now)? To me, that’s what the meehaphone looks like. 🙂🙂🙂

Edited by davidp

• 1 year later...

Tiffany Johns acquired the Meehaphone that was in Ken Norman’s collection and created a great video with some playing samples:

• Like 1