the DCP videos from DCA weekend

had the pleasure this weekend of meeting and hanging out with a DCP member in Chicago. He was a DCI alum from the early 80's, and his exposure to DCA corps was early season performances of the midwest corps at DCI shows. He never really thought much of DCA, but never took into consideration that while July is mid season for the DCI corps, it's barely a 3rd of the way thru for DCA.

think about it.....for you folks out west, the south and midwest...you see these corps at best with maybe a month left in the season, more often than not with anywhere from 2/3 to 1/2 of the season yet to go. So, when people here talk down about the level of performance, remember, you're not seeing these corps at their peak.

Those videos on DCP from the weekend wowed him. He became hooked and now plans on coming to Rochester. My question is to those that only see these corps early or juniors...did it change your view of DCA to see what the action is like on finals weekend?

and yes, I am posting this in the senior forum as well, but I wanted to see what folks in here thought.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched some of it. With the exception of the Bucs, I didn't see anything that I would pay to see. The performance levels in general seemed kinda rough for a championship, guess I am just spoiled by DCI corps.

Come check it out live next time.

I watched some of it. With the exception of the Bucs, I didn't see anything that I would pay to see. The performance levels in general seemed kinda rough for a championship, guess I am just spoiled by DCI corps.

Wow. :thumbup: I, on the other hand, was blown away by the level of competitive performance I saw, and I will indeed go pay to see this contest next year. These are folks who are recently past DCI age limit; most working full time jobs; putting together a competitive show on weekends mostly and still enjoying the drum corps experience. I didn't go into the forum here on DCP expecting to see DCI caliber competition, but the one minute or so clips of the corps hooked me so hard I basically stayed and "watched" and read the posts describing the performances all the way through. I hadn't planned on that happening at all... and as the scores were "announced" (posted) I felt the excitement again of just a few weeks earlier.

I remember a day when senior corps were indeed "kinda rough" with poorly fitting old school uniforms and campy style shows with the same music every year. I hadn't given it much serious thought from then to now until I saw the one minute clips posted here on DCP, and I was very impressed. I have to say I had no idea what DCA had become. We have very few (if any) contests here in the midwest where one can see them.

Edited by GGarrett

This is a good example of the attitude that is helping to kill the drum corps activity. There are more and more "elitist" fans like this that feel only the DCI World Class top 7 is worthy of their time. Such a shame that people can no longer enjoy the effort of a performance, just the perfection. I still go to watch little league soccer games and football games in my town even though my kids have not been involved for years. It is enjoyable to see these young people giving it their all, even if they are not the MLS or NFL. It's a shame more people don't feel that way.

This is a good example of the attitude that is helping to kill the drum corps activity. There are more and more "elitist" fans like this that feel only the DCI World Class top 7 is worthy of their time. Such a shame that people can no longer enjoy the effort of a performance, just the perfection. I still go to watch little league soccer games and football games in my town even though my kids have not been involved for years. It is enjoyable to see these young people giving it their all, even if they are not the MLS or NFL. It's a shame more people don't feel that way.

I wouldn't fret over DCA. When one looks at the number of competing Corps in the various divisions, as well as the exhibition Corps that perform, it is DCA that has grown in this respect the last 5 years..... not DCI. Both DCI and DCA bring their own brand of Drum Corps to the activity. So much so, that one cannot complain about diversity. Whatever one's like are in Drum Corps, one can find it out there if they just look. I personally like what BOTH bring to the table.

Well, Jeff asked this...

My question is to those that only see these corps early or juniors...did it change your view of DCA to see what the action is like on finals weekend?

The person presented their response. I agree with you in many ways...I attend commuity theater events as well as Broadway, and go to HS concerts and other "non-top" concerts...and would rather attend a minor league baseball game than a major league game, but that's me (and apparently you as well! :thumbup: ). That doesn't mean someone else has to have the same opinion we do. I don't see it as a "shame"; it's just personal choice.

this post is a good example of why i no longer really enjoy dcp.