Who are your clear winners

hsreed

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we all agree on BD 1994?

I was there and sitting right in front of the press box for the last 4 corps and I agree it should have been BD becuase that show was amazing. But I'm only 1 person and not 9 judges so I'm guessing they knew more and saw more than I did.

94 BD was amazing and they were clearly the best corps the night of finals, and I'm not a blue blooded BD fan. 95 and 02 Cavies were also the clear winner. I think 93 did not have a clear winner. There would have been endless debate had Star won (the whole "What in the world was that? argument", but I think it could have easily been accepted as the right call.

Unfortunately I believe we accept the imperfect judging system of choosing a champion, which just may be a fine option.

Of the 37 Championships...,

12 were decided convincingly by a point or better, with the greatest spread being SCV in 73 of 2.5. Blue Devils own 6 of these 12, and 4 of their victories are in the top six of all time.

13 were decided with solid wins of less than a point but greater than .5. BD owns 5 of these; Cadets, 4.

The remaining 12 were won by a narrow margin 0f .4 or less. SCV owns 4 of these; Cadets, 3

But to answer your question, I doubt we can all agree that it's dark at midnight.

Interestingly enough- it's always midnight somwhere in the world, regardless of if it's light or dark where you are ;)

AND if it's midnight where you are, there's daylight somewhere else.

So, you can actually say seemingly contradictory statements:

Yes, it's dark at midnight

No, it's not dark at midnight

and both statements will be true, without creating a logical fallacy!

It's all a matter of your point-of-view.

For what it's worth, I used to think that 87 SCV got robbed, but I have to agree that their brass line just didn't bring it hom efinals night- they got over-hyped and lost sound quality towards the end of the program, and that is what cost them on the sheets.

89 Phantom, at one point I though should've won, but after listening/watching all shows and serveral years later I changed my mind because 89 PR's percussion feature doesn't seem to fit into the show as well as it should, and the drill for that section seems to be a GE letdown...

These are just my opinions, not meaning to bash either corps- especially considering that I actually prefer these shows to the winners, even though I now agree that they probably placed as they should.

It's all opinion and perceprtion, and these things can change over time. Everyone has their own criteria.

Star 93 were the real winners though ;) What they won wasn't DCI finals though, they won the great game of "let's so who'll be remembered longer" ;) In my opinion, of course ;)

bd '97, who could have beat them? cadets were trying to pull off one of the hardest shows ever, and they were competing against one of the cleanest drum corps of all time. well done, but sorry, guys.

definitely cadets in 05, bd in 86, and bd in '94, i agree with those.

94 BD was amazing and they were clearly the best corps the night of finals, and I'm not a blue blooded BD fan. 95 and 02 Cavies were also the clear winner. I think 93 did not have a clear winner. There would have been endless debate had Star won (the whole "What in the world was that? argument", but I think it could have easily been accepted as the right call.

Unfortunately I believe we accept the imperfect judging system of choosing a champion, which just may be a fine option.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I've always felt that the 95 Cavvies and 93 Cadets were 2 of the most controversial winners ever. I can see how Cadets won, they weren't very impressive live but they really pushed the envelope with props and storytelling, and had an amazing drumline. But still, I thought they were a third place corps that year. Star was clearly the class of the field, and Phantom just exploded the last 2 weeks of the year. I still have no idea what show the judges were watching in 95. Outside of the whole 95 Scouts deal (one of the 3 or 4 best shows ever in 4th place?), the 95 Cavies just weren't very good, not championship good. Seriously, the weakest hornline in the top 6, and they didn't hit a single drill set in the last 90 seconds of their show. Not one, and we aren't talking people 6 inches off, we're talking people 2 feet outside the form. That was a 5th place corps. The judges just lost it there.

Can we all agree on BD 1994?

As much as I liked it when I saw it live - I recently watched it again on DVD and man was the drill dirty - and the all saber opener was less than stellar (work and drill)

Later,

Mike

So - I guess this prove that no one will ever agree on anything ever :tongue:

In the early (1972-82) years of DCI, I'd have to say 1973 SCV, 1975 Madison (despite the perfect GE marks by SCV), 1976 Blue Devils and 1982 Blue Devils were the clear winners.

I agree.

Fran