Being in a High School band with drum corps instructors

sday88

I know that band! Maybe you guys (MikeD and kyle) will recognize the school I go to: Northern Valley Old Tappan.

You're right in that Bergenfield doesn't compete much, but they've grown really big over the years (past 180 now). In marching Bergenfield and my school are rivals, mainly because the current band director there was a student teacher for my band director and because we're both non-competitive (though my school doesn't compete because of conflicts with concert band events). They still do the circle expansion, and with all of those members it's quite a sight!

I remember that school....they were very good. First time I saw them was at the Herald News Band Festival held at Clifton Stadium,..when I was at Montclair State (class of 75) I worked at the event...later my bands performed there. It was a festival (no scores) that happened three Tuesdays in October...15 bands per night...a 7 minute max show...and opposite of drum corps of the day bands started from the right and had to exit to the left. The first time I went to a Glen Ridge practice I saw the drill going left to right like drum corps of that time...the director had to reteach the entire thing as a mirror image. :tongue:

They were strict about the 7-minutes...if you went overtime two times you were kicked out of the show!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the mid 1960's I marched with the Clifton H.S. Mustang band and we'd see Bergenfield H.S. every year at the Herald News Band Festival at Clifton stadium. There was never any scoring but there was always a great debate about which band was better. Clifton was/is a Big 10 Style show and Bergenfield drum corps style.

The truth is both bands were magnificent and still are from what I've seen over the last few years. It proves how the proper leadership and community commitment can create a positive, life altering experience for young adults that transcends generations.

The Clifton band was great. See my post about the band festival.

I remember that school....they were very good. First time I saw them was at the Herald News Band Festival held at Clifton Stadium,..when I was at Montclair State (class of 75) I worked at the event...later my bands performed there. It was a festival (no scores) that happened three Tuesdays in October...15 bands per night...a 7 minute max show...and opposite of drum corps of the day bands started from the right and had to exit to the left. The first time I went to a Glen Ridge practice I saw the drill going left to right like drum corps of that time...the director had to reteach the entire thing as a mirror image. :smile:

They were strict about the 7-minutes...if you went overtime two times you were kicked out of the show!

Really, we were good? I think back in the 70's NVOT was a competitive band, I'd have to double check that. Nowadays the trumpets can't keep their horns up and the flutes can't keep their instruments parallel with anything (I know it's a non-competitive band, but come on!). If only we could get a visual tech up here. :tongue:

Nowadays the North Jersey Band Festival (I guess I should just call it the Herald News Band Festival here) is only one night, shows can generally go longer than 7 minutes, and the bands enter from the right and can exit either way (at Montclair, the left side is against a hill so it's hard for some of the bands to go that way). I don't know if the bands did this back then, but now whenever they're not performing or warming up they sit in the stands and watch the other shows until it's time to line up for the encore. Even with the away stands, this usually doesn't leave a ton of room for fans but it's manageable.

Kevin Guidry, my Asst. director, for a few years, was a low brass tech for SCV for a couple of years. low brass tech/drum tuner guy

I haven't stayed in touch with the local band scene for the past few years but Tom Aungst was at Dartmouth (MA) HS during the 90s. Might still be. I'm woefully out of touch lately. You could tell when you heard the band too. Whew.

I went to and taught at Avon High School. It was pretty wild with Matt Harloff (Crown Brass Caption Head) and Jay Webb (DCI Judge) as the directors and then Joey Wever (former visual caption head at G-Men, Phantom, Crown), Richard Hinshaw (former Crown vis. caption head), Danny Wiles (current visual designer with Cadets), and Jeff Queen running around on the field. I didn't really know what drum corps was as a freshman, but I just really knew that the band practiced really hard.

Now the have a few more DCI instructors on the staff, but I'd have to say that when I was actually in it, I really didn't know any different and it was only after I started marching corps that I was like "Wow... we had a pretty rockin staff in high school!"

I haven't stayed in touch with the local band scene for the past few years but Tom Aungst was at Dartmouth (MA) HS during the 90s. Might still be. I'm woefully out of touch lately. You could tell when you heard the band too. Whew.

Yes, Tom is actually the district percussion coordinator for the district...izsn't that an amazing position to have..to be able to direct and shape the district's percussion program from the lowest grades through HS.

Back around 2000 a Dartmuth band parent and I were conversing (her son was one of the amazing Cadet 2000 tenors), and she sent me a video of their "Night of Percussion" they have or had each spring...it started in the theater with the 'regular' percussion ensembles and later moved to the gym where the winter guard and indoor line (at that time WGI Scholastic World champs) did their shows. An amazing night!

Neil Larivee (sp?) was at King Philip in MA for years.

Well, at my school we had:

Greg Martin (Suncoast visual) - Director

Howard Weinstein (Yes, currently Blue Stars Director) - WOODWIND :tongue: Caption Head and visual

John Campese - Percussion

Larry Clark (Suncoast DM 85, Staff 86-88) - Intern

Maybe some more... it WAS over 20 years ago...