Southwind information

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Teal Sound? Know they have applied for WC and even if they don't make it in this year they are marching a full corps and pretty much have done full summer tours the past 2 years now.

I would need to know a little bit more about Teal Sound first BUT I am impressed with their steady growth. They certainly had a nice corps this past summer.

Just to finish this thread... Mike Loeffelholz, director of Southwind has posted the text of the email he recently sent to members, alumni, and friends. I've posted it here.

Dear friends,

I am sorry to inform you that Southwind will not field a competitive drum corps for the 2009 season. Although we have made great strides in board development and community involvement, we are simply not financially ready for such a commitment. We could put a corps on the field, but we could not guarantee the quality experience that our students, alumni, and fans have come to expect.

As we work toward our return in 2010, we thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Mike Loeffelholz, Director

Southwind Drum & Bugle Corps

Edited by lawrenceleclaire

I also hope that Southwind can return in 2010. Please keep Carolina Crown in mind. Their first camp will be held the weekend of 11/21 - 23 just south of Charlotte. I think it will be another great year for Crown in 09!

I would need to know a little bit more about Teal Sound first BUT I am impressed with their steady growth. They certainly had a nice corps this past summer.

not to side track the topic, but is there any update on the Teal Sound and Jersey Surf petitions for 09 WC yet?

not to side track the topic, but is there any update on the Teal Sound and Jersey Surf petitions for 09 WC yet?

wont know if Teal is in WC or even if Cap Reg is back in WC till DCI makes its announcements latter in the off season.

There are supposed to be at least 3 new WC corps. I know Cascades and Jersey Surf are assured, the others I believe its a metter of wait and see. Recruiting and financial stability will be the biggy.

Southwind has MOVED to downtown Lexington!

The Southwind office is now located in ArtsPlace at 161 North Mill Street in downtown Lexington.

ArtsPlace is managed by LexArts and houses many LexArts members, including the Lexington Philharmonic, Lexington Ballet, and Central Kentucky Youth Orchestras. ArtsPlace is a 1904 Beaux Arts Classical building owned by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government and subleased to LexArts.

Through its management of ArtsPlace and the Downtown Arts Center (DAC), LexArts provides space for artists and arts organizations to rehearse, perform and exhibit their work. In addition, both venues offer office space to qualified arts organizations at affordable rental rates well below market cost.

For more information about LexArts, its facilities and members please visit www.lexarts.org.

In addition to the new location, Southwind also has a new phone (and fax) number. The new number is 859.233.7382 (or 859.233.SDUB).

Our mailing address is:

Southwind Drum & Bugle Corps

161 North Mill St

Lexington, KY 40507

If you would like to see the new office, feel free to give us a call and set up an appointment. We’d be happy to show you around the new office and ArtsPlace!

Southwind's biggest road block is funding for the arts in LEX and we've finally found a place that will bring people to US.

Wow--that's about 6 blocks from me! I'll definitely have to stop in and say hello.

Well, Jersey Surf Made WC keep praying for Teal Sound. And Hurry Back Southwind we miss you!

Southwind has MOVED to downtown Lexington!

The Southwind office is now located in ArtsPlace at 161 North Mill Street in downtown Lexington.

ArtsPlace is managed by LexArts and houses many LexArts members, including the Lexington Philharmonic, Lexington Ballet, and Central Kentucky Youth Orchestras. ArtsPlace is a 1904 Beaux Arts Classical building owned by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government and subleased to LexArts.

Through its management of ArtsPlace and the Downtown Arts Center (DAC), LexArts provides space for artists and arts organizations to rehearse, perform and exhibit their work. In addition, both venues offer office space to qualified arts organizations at affordable rental rates well below market cost.

This means they're still kicking. Hang in there SW!