Brass bands?

MikeN

Found some recordings of them, and first - holy cow, they're good!

I was looking for more detail, though. What kind of instruments do they use? How big are they usually? I saw that there's a UK and European championships, are these well followed?

Enlightenment is needed!

Thanks,

Mike

i think the other guy gave you a run down on the instrumentation. These bands were trditionally linked to heavy industry, particularily coal mines. Up until the mid eighties when this industry was decimated by the Tharcher government each pit had its own band. This pits are now gone but some of the bands exist still. Grimethorpe is one example of a top quality group.

The members were typically the workforce with raw talent.

Generaly apart from the odd parade theydid not march. Very much a British phenomanon and still popular but not perhaps the local amateur community thing they once were. Much like US drum corps

If you get the movie BRASSED OFF with Euan McGregor that will give an insight into the bands,and their history and politics. Its damm funny as well. Generally acepted as better than THE FULL MONTY> Came out around the same time but without a good US distributor. So noone out there got to see it!!

The Band in that called "Grimly Colliery" in the move is actually Grimethorpe (apart from the actors that is!!_