The Myths of Drum Corps

As the topics says, what are the biggest myths in drum corps?

Mine is this whole notion of emotion. Corps don't win because of it or don't win because of the lack there of it. Performance and execution of the show is what does well and wins and what matters. Even the Cadets realized this when they took the smiley face out of there show this year. Also, explain how BD ever won any shows in the 70's and 80's. They certainly didn't win them based on emoting.

Well you have to remember that corps in the 80's were suffering a hangover from the 70's "execution is God" era. Emoting was way less important to score back then compared to the "how well can you sell your theme" based shows and way of judging today.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star marched for free.

I remember hearing this one back in the day, I'm guessing it is false.

Wait this isn't true? I thought that it was.

Neil Peart marched Drum Corps = Myth :inlove:

Interesting fact though: Tyler Stewart, the drummer for the Bare Naked Ladies was in the front ensemble for the Newmarket Ambassadors just north of Toronto in 1979 and 1980 :tongue:

Neil Peart marched Drum Corps = Myth :inlove:

I always thought Neil sounded like he had drum corps chops ... He articulates so well, and is very clean.

Years later, when I first heard Dream Theater, I thought that Mike Portnoy must have marched corps for the same reason ... Turns out he was just a big Neil Peart fan.

Interesting fact though: Tyler Stewart, the drummer for the Bare Naked Ladies was in the front ensemble for the Newmarket Ambassadors just north of Toronto in 1979 and 1980 :laughing:

That is true. I marched with him although I was in the horn line. He credits the Ambassadors in the liner notes of the "Gordon" album. He marched 80 to 82. He started out on an improvised set of bongos in 80 and finished a snare player in 82. (Extra myth points: the drum instructor at that time was Doug Darwin late of the Kiwanis Kavaliers)

Edited by ambassadorhorn

I always thought Neil sounded like he had drum corps chops ... He articulates so well, and is very clean.

Peart has a very "non-drum corps" left hand traditional grip.

Both are true, from a particular point of view.

But that point of view doesn't happen to include reality. While discounts and sponsorships exist, nobody actually gets equipment for free, nor does extra tubing impart natural volume to an instrument.

<with Scottish Brogue> Michael Boo is seven feet tall!

You're confusing that with the observation that I SHOULD be seven feet tall to be in proper proportion to my weight.

That is true. I marched with him although I was in the horn line. He credits the Ambassadors in the liner notes of the "Gordon" album. He marched 80 to 82. He started out on an improvised set of bongos in 80 and finished a snare player in 82. (Extra myth points: the drum instructor at that time was Doug Darwin late of the Kiwanis Kavaliers)
By the way . HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY to Doug Darwin today. That is fact not myth :laughing:

You're confusing that with the observation that I SHOULD be seven feet tall to be in proper proportion to my weight.

No, I was actually making a reference to the movie "Braveheart" and myths about Sir William Wallace.

I should have been making references to Asperger's Syndrome.

... or maybe even

Edited by DCIHasBeen