corps shows in Canada

just popped in to my mind...made me wonder...

how do U.S. drum corps handle the whole border thingy when they go into Canada? are all corps members and staff required to present ID and a birth certificate, or, since it's a performing group, do they get some kind of special exemption?

They handle it by not going.

Since 1999 we've had only a handful of American II/III corps come up here.

Going the other direction, most Canadian corps / winterguards make passports a requirement for all members and staff.

The last one I remember was Glassmen in 1999, and before that, Cadets and Crossmen in 1997.

The last one I remember was Glassmen in 1999, and before that, Cadets and Crossmen in 1997.

Madison Scouts and Southwind went across to do an exhibition in Montreal in 2000. It was not a DCI sanctioned show and the corps did not take the souvie wagons in with them.....complications with the border duties. The corps both did standstill performances, featured some of their i&e competitors, and performed their field shows.

I don't know how much of a role the complications trying to sell souvies in Canada played BUT I do recall that as early as the mid-90's when we took the Colts into Canada, the souvie crew would peel off the tour, hang out in upstate New York for a few days, and meet back up with us when we came back into the States.

And then 9/11 happened and crossing the border got really wierd.

We had to show a picture i.d. and in some cases present a birth certificate.

I believe Kiwanis Kavaliers (Div. I) did a show in Ontario their last year fielding a corps (2005). It was mostly a Div. II/III show and I think they were the only Div. I corps competing. Regardless of what you think of Kiwanis, a Div. I corps has been to Canada more recently than 2000. It's just a shame a world class corps hasn't been there in over three years.

I believe Kiwanis Kavaliers (Div. I) did a show in Ontario their last year fielding a corps (2005). It was mostly a Div. II/III show and I think they were the only Div. I corps competing. Regardless of what you think of Kiwanis, a Div. I corps has been to Canada more recently than 2000. It's just a shame a world class corps hasn't been there in over three years.

Kiwanis was from Canada at that time. I belive he was referring to Div I/WC corps from the US have not performed in Canada since 2000