BOA Soundcheck/Lucas Oil Stadium

I am the original poster.

I posted thoughts of what I experienced, but thought better of it and erased the original post. This is because I had an opportunity to view the event from area not open to the general public. There was only 1 other person with me in an otherwise vast area of empty seats. I questioned how much relevance my experience would have, but was encouraged by a friend to go ahead and re-write the original post.

I will take his advice. DISCLAIMER- keep in mind this was in an area without other people around to absorb sound.

OK, here is my experience. This is not intended to be positive or negative, just a description of events from a different perspective.

I had an opportunity to view performances from several vantage points, in the upper levels of the stadium. Here are observations from 'upstairs', and a few other general observations that may be of interest.

** Roof was closed.

** After speaking with a stadium worker, I would not be surprised if the roof was closed for DCI. Rain or shine. There is no drainage, so if there is a chance of rain, the roof is closed. What if there isn't rain? The worker told me when the temperature gets above 80, it can get toasty in there. It's a huge building, and costs lots of $ to air condition it. Indiana in August is normally hot and humid (this year in Bloomington was the exception, not the rule). I have no first hand knowledge of this and could be totally wrong, but do not be surprised, even if it's in the midst of a drought, if DCI Championships are conducted with the roof closed.

** From my vantage points in the 500 and 600 levels, there is an echo, especially with low frequencies. In the RCA Dome, a rim shot from a snare would bounce back a second later at times. In Lucas Oil, I didn't notice that. I did notice when a bass would hit, during a release, the "BOOM" would linger.

I believe other posters who say their acoustic experience was great. I believe your mileage may vary, depending on where one sits. I cannot stress this enough.

So who's the bozo that made the decisin to have a roof and not put drainage in?

Why spend the considerable sum of money a retractable roof would cost and then never (rarely) be able to use it becuase there's no drainage on the field?

Aren't there several different awards issued each year for such idiotic decisions?

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH...you could say Citibank Field and be correct where-EVER you are! :worthy:

The flip side to this is that DCI could announce Finals will be held in Citibank Park, and some disappointed patrons might end up in the wrong state. :worthy:

I won't be travelling to Indy for champs, but this is simply due to vacation time and travel costs. But if I were, the acoustics would not stop me from going. However, the point wolfgang posted below, would be much more of a concern to me. If I sat down and was behind 2 feet of glass, that would get me really torqued! Thanks for that tidbit of info.

*** IMPORTANT !!!!!!*****

** There are some expensive DCI seats that will annoy people. In the front rows, they have glass panels, maybe 6-12 in. high, to prevent someone from doing something stupid like getting drunk and going over the edge. Sit up in your seat, if you're in the front row, and this will not be an issue. HOWEVER, if you sit near an entrance, the glass panels are a couple feet higher.

What this means is if one sits near an entrance, there may be a partially obstructed view. Not because you can't see through the glass, but because, personally, I would get annoyed shelling out $75-$125 for a ticket, and having to watch corps partially through glass. BTW, people touch glass, and glass smudges. There were already smudges on the glass in places, so if one doesn't wipe off the glass, and you're near an entrance, you will be looking at part of the field through smudgy glass. BE FOREWARNED!!!!!

So who's the bozo that made the decisin to have a roof and not put drainage in?

Why spend the considerable sum of money a retractable roof would cost and then never (rarely) be able to use it becuase there's no drainage on the field?

Aren't there several different awards issued each year for such idiotic decisions?

The Darwin Awards!!

:worthy: more in reference to my additional comments.

I've also heard "The Lube" used a couple times.... :worthy:

"The Drum" is another name that I think I've heard Lucas Oil called. I'll look for verification on ESPN, specifically from shows where Chris Berman is the anchor.

Geez. Eventually all bank will be owned by the same company. And then we'll be unable to just say "NAME OF BANK Field" because there will be a few dozen of them around the country.

Well, Bank of America already had the naming rights for the football stadium in Charlotte, NC, so when Fleet was sold to Bank of America, another company took over the name of the former Fleet Center, who brought back the name of the Garden, albeit with the name of TD Banknorth included in the name this time. I only mention this because the new stadium for the NY Mets, already has signs for Citi Field.

I couldn't resist. Although I'm not a traditional college student, stadium/arena naming rights and stories will be on my list of possible essay topics. Drum corps and band activities are also something I follow almost as closely as I follow sports.

Hopefully, one year, I'll get to see Lucas Oil Stadium. When I was at 2001 BOA National Championships (last third of semis/finals sans introductions), the sound seemed to get lost for some bands, while others blew me away. My hunch is, as with other venues, those in the "Blast Zone" are in for a treat at DCI World Championships, just as some of these bands had a positive effect on me. Also, I cannot forget that visual plays such a part in the activities. Reviews/opinions of these bands are for a different topic, or perhaps, another board or medium. The OP captures the event in his review well, imo, especially that this treat will not be without a price. In 2009, I will again probably attend "Big, Loud, and Live" if it continues. Still, I will be looking forward to the reviews of those in attendance at events like DCI Worlds, or even BOA Nationals.

Thank you.

I'm still debating whether to attend BOA Nationals. I went to eight in a row, but the last time was in 2004. With the Colts yet to win a game of any kind in the new stadium, BOA might be the best show to catch there until DCI next August!

OT, but this reminds of the (basketball/hockey) stadium in Phily. It was originally the Corestates Center, sponsored of course, by Corestates Bank, a Philadelphia based company. But then Corestates was bought out by First Union, based in Virginia (I think). This didn't go over well with Philadelphians, who are very protective of their own. So when First Union renamed the stadium the First Union Center, the locals, in true Philadelphia fashion, started calling it the F-U. :worthy:

The more the First Union guys complained and tried to come up with other nicknames, the louder the "F-U"s got!!!!! :worthy:

most appropriately named arena in pro sports

Heh.

Wachovia was bought out by Citi today. :worthy:

heh. non Philly fans call the Linc the Stink, and with Citizens Bank Park across the street locals call it the Cit, but non fans call it the ####...they say appropriate since the Stink is across the street.

now I guess they will have the ###### Center too

heh. non Philly fans call the Linc the Stink, and with Citizens Bank Park across the street locals call it the Cit, but non fans call it the ####...they say appropriate since the Stink is across the street.

now I guess they will have the ###### Center too

never heard of those "non fan" nicknames, but us philly fans are in our own, happy world for now, GO PHILS!! LETS NOT CHOKE THIS YEAR!

eh...they probably will :worthy: