hazing/misconduct

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Why did this social justice initiative leave so many innocent victims? What about the students that we're being hazed or those in the band that didn't drink or haze. Will they be reimbursed for the education they already paid for, no? Will the professors receive their full stipend, most certainly? Why does a nationally ranked football team that teams with the band for an emotional boost to work up the crowd and themselves be denied? Call me crazy but this hurts more than it gains. Why not pick out the culprits and fill the band others? Why because they can get away with it for the band but would hurt their pocketbook if they did this to the football team. A rush to social justice is just as bad as not having any at all. For years when their school has the distinction of being the biggest partying school now they decide now to take it out on the band, shortsighted and unfair anything but justice. 

What in the world are you talking about

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

We seem not to have learned much about how to treat people who are a little different than ourselves.

If you miss the OP is from 2008 it might make more sense....

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What in the world are you talking about

Sorry thought there was a point there somewhere then I read where this happened10 years ago better late than never. May be not around here as much. The old company wants to bring me back as a trainer (boy are they in trouble) now that they can pay me w,o SS getting in the way. There are some advantages to being this old.

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Haha 1

Never having marched, I have a minor question about this passage from the former Blue Stars' member's very unpleasant experiences:

During my first season I was the only person actually on podium/pit trailer/4x4 duty following shows. This was mostly fine, except I wasn't the one who moved the podium off of the field. The vis staff made it a game to see how quickly they could dump the podium after moving it off of the field. On more than one occasion it was left on the opposite side of the stadium from where the corps exited, and since we weren't allowed to walk alone in uniform, I would normally have to pester someone to come with me to help get the podium. Most of the time I would get dirty looks from whomever helped me for days afterwards. About half the time no one would come with me and I would have to go to the bus, change, go back to the stadium, find the podium, push it all the way back, load it up with the other stuff on the mini-flatbed trailer that pit used to go in and out of the stadium, and I had to move quickly so that the box truck could move on to the next housing site on time. Only after all of this could I eat. I missed more than a couple after-show dinners since the cook truck would be packed up before I got to it. For oth er occasions, one of the cook staff got in the habit of going out of his way to save food for me. He was my favorite.

Is that a normal drum corps thing, not to be allowed to be seen alone while in uniform? Or is it specific to Blue Stars?

1 hour ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

I can't help but feel sorry for the victims of these actions. As someone who hasn't experienced this in my hs marching band, I find it frankly stupid that people are so hateful to each other. After all, drum corps/band/winter guard is supposed to be fun, right? 

Same here. Its one thing when the young are abusive to  others. Thats bad enough. But Adult staffers are held to a higher standard. Its scary to think that some  adult Corps staffers, some employed as Educators for School systems here in 2018, think they should abandon all standards of proper teaching, supervision, motivation to help the young assimilate into the team concept and become better students by such discredited and outdated Draconian methods of instructing and supervising the young in their charge. Did these so called " Educators " sleep through all their undergraduate and Masters Degrees courses on proper Pedagogy ? They clearly failed miserably, and they give all other good Educators a bad reputation. They should think of a career change and get the hellaway from doing any more human damage to the young such as this. And Corps Directors who tell us they are clueless to what teaching and supervisory methods are being utilized in their Corps with the young by their staff, arn't really believable when they tell us this when their staff are revealed to be using abusive teaching and supervisory methods employed.

Edited by BRASSO

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Never having marched, I have a minor question about this passage from the former Blue Stars' member's very unpleasant experiences:

Is that a normal drum corps thing, not to be allowed to be seen alone while in uniform? Or is it specific to Blue Stars?

The buddy system in uniform is a pretty common practice in corps.