hazing/misconduct

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding medical issues and supervision this really is not that difficult. 

Amen to that. Then why is it happening?  Is there no adult supervision at Pioneer (allegedly)? WTF. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

There are laws and insurance guidelines that are already established. 

All it takes is a corps to go against a state law and someone raise Hades about it. Be it an upset member, parent or local politician wanting to make a name for themselves.

• Like 3

Go to their website and check out the BoD. Two administrative team members also serve on the board. That’s an outrage not to mention not in line with how you run a non-profit. How can there be any kind of accountability for the executive director when he also sits on the board. It’s DCI’s version of a banana republic. 

• Like 5

I have said this before on a different thread, but this whole DCI model is garbage and needs to be scrapped.  The corps and more specifically, corps directors/ED's ARE DCI, and that means DCI has no authority to do anything.  And the guy that runs Pio has no clue at this point, and should be out.  It is infuriating that everyone just shrugs off the issues when they are brought up, (as Jeff has mentioned, and I know Terri and Jim have mentioned previously as well) and continue to allow kids to go on the road with organizations like this.  I just don't understand this at all.

Sorry for the rant.  I just cant stand seeing the activity I love take hits like this that are totally unnecessary.  It can and should have been fixed a long time ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

I have said this before on a different thread, but this whole DCI model is garbage and needs to be scrapped.  The corps and more specifically, corps directors/ED's ARE DCI, and that means DCI has no authority to do anything.  And the guy that runs Pio has no clue at this point, and should be out.  It is infuriating that everyone just shrugs off the issues when they are brought up, (as Jeff has mentioned, and I know Terri and Jim have mentioned previously as well) and continue to allow kids to go on the road with organizations like this.  I just don't understand this at all.

Sorry for the rant.  I just cant stand seeing the activity I love take hits like this that are totally unnecessary.  It can and should have been fixed a long time ago.

When I think of that young man and his family having such a disappointing experience after his being so excited to march, it makes me cry.   Families do sacrifice so their children can march.  Contrary to popular belief, these corps aren’t all full of trust fund babies.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Amen to that. Then why is it happening?  Is there no adult supervision at Pioneer (allegedly)? WTF. 

I don’t know enough about Pioneer to say one way or the other, and as you mention, we do not know for certain it is Pioneer, but a few years ago there was a thread about the best WC corps for younger members, and no surprise Surf was the overwhelming favorite based on the experience Bob Jacobs and crew provide. Others mentioned Pioneer. I think the thought was that nice experience with less intensity is a good beginning point. Someone commented that Pioneer wa a great corps in many ways and listed good musicians, camaraderie, fun, but that it was better suited for college students. 

A few years back I spoke with folks associated with Colts and Colt Cadets. Prelims is one day both groups are in the same place at the same time. We spoke a bit about traveling with kids who are young and often away from home for the first time, and whether it is homesickness, pushing the limits (behaviorally), peer pressure, and the like,  they have all the bases covered. Sharing good management techniques is not the same as sharing show and design secrets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How much "in public" can there be for a niche activity like DC. So far it is all complaints and reports within the group itself.  Kind of like preaching to the choir. And if anyone who is overseeing this has the mentality of  "until he dies". And what power does DCI have over individual corps other than refuse access to shows which hurts DCIs bottom line. 

DCI refuses to discipline itself.  As I have said before - it took a series of newspaper articles to implement a DFTK rule -in 2018!!!!  

DCI has limited credibility in this area, and that is crumbling.  Bad news NEVER gets better by aging.  Needs to be fixed now, or I fear lawyers may get involved.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

DCI refuses to discipline itself.  As I have said before - it took a series of newspaper articles to implement a DFTK rule -in 2018!!!!  

DCI has limited credibility in this area, and that is crumbling.  Bad news NEVER gets better by aging.  Needs to be fixed now, or I fear lawyers may get involved.  

Since it is often pointed out DCI has no real authority unless the corps directors approve it, DCI  could have credibility in this area, if the directors allowed it.Yes DCI stepped in when Cadets had their issues and used authority it did not have, but if they were challenged, the challengers would look as if they condoned the activity, or worse were afraid their corps would be next. Directors may be less likely to give DCI the authority to draft policies each corps would follow regarding safety other than sexual misconduct, but if there were proposals and enough directors voted in favor, things could be different. Also, DCI establishing policies could be helpful in establishing a “this point forward” which while not wiping the slate clean, would help corps establish better practices.

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Directors may be less likely to give DCI the authority to draft policies each corps would follow regarding safety other than sexual misconduct, but if there were proposals and enough directors voted in favor, things could be different. Also, DCI establishing policies could be helpful in establishing a “this point forward” which while not wiping the slate clean, would help corps establish better practices.

Proposals submitted this coming Winter may have more to do with off the field items than on the field.

• Like 1