hazing/misconduct

52 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I'm not even remotely close to being a tax expert. But I've always been told that a donation earmarked for a scholarship fund (not a specific individual) that helps with dues, is tax deductible. A donation earmarked for a specific member, to help with dues, is not tax deductible.

I think you are correct. I know in the case of private schools, if I pay the tuition of a deserving student, it is not tax deductible. However I can donate to the school to give funds for a scholarship and say this is for a 7th grader who lives on such and such a street who loves soccer and plays the tuba. Joe Schnoe, my tuba playing soccer loving next door neighbor may be the only kid who matches the description,  but as long as I  do not earmark it for him by name, it is, or at least was, tax deductible. This I know from having a school board member who was a former IRS auditor who is now a private tax attorney. 

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that we support the young men and women in Pioneer and have always been supportive of them; however, the Pioneer organization is too far gone, too far behind, with too many issues to be salvaged. Fans and alumni of the Madison Scouts think things are bad with their corps; things at Pioneer are worse. At best, Pioneer is a throwback, alumni, parade corps trying to exist in modern world class drum corps and they aren't succeeding. Add in all the other issues that have come to light and you have a corps that is beyond saving. 

5 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I think we can all agree that we support the young men and women in Pioneer and have always been supportive of them; however, the Pioneer organization is too far gone, too far behind, with too many issues to be salvaged. Fans and alumni of the Madison Scouts think things are bad with their corps; things at Pioneer are worse. At best, Pioneer is a throwback, alumni, parade corps trying to exist in modern world class drum corps and they aren't succeeding. Add in all the other issues that have come to light and you have a corps that is beyond saving. 

I think that there would be a better chance for success, at solving the problems/issues, if one person in particular was no longer involved in the organization. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I think that there would be a better chance for success, at solving the problems/issues, if one person in particular was no longer involved in the organization. 

If the accusations are true, at what point does DCI step in and notify Pioneer they can no longer participate in DCI until the director is replaced? Didn't something similar happen to Capital Regiment during the summer? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

See... I don’t buy that. They manage to hit the road with a drum corps and complete a world class tour year after year, they’ve never cut their season short and just told kids to find a way home, they have uniforms, equipment, their own building, vehicles, etc.; so many things that make up the guts of a drum corps. Someone else just needs to take over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAvery said:

If the accusations are true, at what point does DCI step in and notify Pioneer they can no longer participate in DCI until the director is replaced? Didn't something similar happen to Capital Regiment during the summer? 

That's the question we all would love an answer to.

Who would want to take on the task of reshaping, rebranding, and rebuilding Pioneer? You are dealing with a director who has garden gnomes in his yard that are painted to look like leprechauns, for crying out loud. And the director isn't even Irish! Granted, all the issues that have been recently brought up are more serious than their caricature Irish everything image. 

This is what happens when you have all these autonomous fiefdoms without any guidelines or policies.  Until now.  Pioneer has been a Corps since 1974.  And the director, who was the director then, runs it exactly like he did back then.  

I’m from that era.  Nobody wants that anymore.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Edited by Bluzes
deleter

So all this stuff about pioneer, some kids were being yelled at? I've seen kids yelled at at just about every single WC corps. When it comes to crunch time, and your show isn't getting cleaner, the kids need a big kick in the rear to get them going. Is this what we're talking about? 

I can't figure out the nature of the problems with Pioneer except for a director who likes to micromanage and yell at members. 

If punishment came to anyone who yelled at members, every corps would fold.

Many instructors work for free or for cheap. Most corps, you take who you can get, or you just don't have a caption head that season. There aren't talented qualified instructors beating down the doors of these groups trying to get a position. As far as I know.

I assume technically qualified help is hard to come by.

Edit: I found a lot of the stuff about Pio recently on the Reddit forums. I guess now I know. 

Wow. How can a director have so much control over a group? I didn't think any of the staff could be on the board of a non profit.

Edited by BoyWonder1911