hazing/misconduct

When I read some of the latest thoughts, I sense a bit of the old school Darwinian Philosophy in the discussion. I'm not being critical, more observant of it is all.

Basically, if a corps bungles badly in several ways, (it could be ethics, finances, some combination of both and to varying degrees of bungle) they deserve to go under unless they can pretty much fix their problems fast, and in an ethical and transparent way. I can see that.

I think the one thing that was stated is that there's maybe a de facto/not written down but understood expectations people have for a DCI World Class team. If anything can be agreed upon, I think there's a basic consensus we could all agree on and seem to be, and it comes down to two things, and I'll give the 1$ to Scott Litzenberg from the most recent Morning Call article- Do the right thing and take proper care of the members. It appears both of those things have been broken to some degree. The way DCI is structured, the only real solution I can see is the corps gets its act together pronto when this happens and fixes the issue in whatever way will fix it, or theoretically, no one with half a brain will want to go there and their parents will tell them no, and help figure out how to get them a better opportunity.

I believe there are other organizations- maybe in Class A and DCA that would find a way and would take those kids from outside the US and do a lot better in giving them the experience, education, and knowledge they really deserve to get about how things should be.

I wasn't suggesting that if someone suffers worse, then your suffering means less.

I was merely trying to put things in perspective.

"I might not support DCI if this continues to happen." 

Ok well you know what, crap like this goes on in countless ways in everything. 

If we had that mentality in everything, nothing would be supported. And the suffering going on in DCI is miniscule compared to some other things. 

This was all I was referring to. 

The problems will be dealt with. I guarantee it

What a cryptic and weak statement from DCI. Basically said, "We are aware of the rumors and there's nothing to see here, so move along." Raises more questions than it answers. Nothing I hate more than beating around the bush. 

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

What a cryptic and weak statement from DCI. Basically said, "We are aware of the rumors and there's nothing to see here, so move along." Raises more questions than it answers. Nothing I hate more than beating around the bush. 

That's not what they said at all.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I agree, and while an investigation is going on, the rule is usually the less said, the better. Unless you are a marching member of the corps involved, or if the marching member is a minor, the parent, or the staff/board,  that it is being investigated is all we need to know. Giving out too much information can cloud objectivity, make cover ups more likely, and give voice to folks who probably have little light to shed on the matter.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I read it in a lot of different ways. But if they are active checking into anything what can they really say in public

edit: daave nailed it while I was typing 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

I don't have a big problem with the corps themselves controlling the board of DCI.  Many organizations are run that way, including the NFL and the NCAA.  But that doesn't excuse the complete negligence that is allowing a corps to abuse MMs in this way.  DCI absolutely has the power and the right to demand that member corps meet certain standards, and they need to exercise it.  You can't tell me this is acceptable to all the other corps directors.

The examples of the NFL and NCAA aren't  100 % accurate.

These organizations don't exactly control themselves.

Yes,the owners and participating schools do have significant control of some things.

But NFL owners aren't an insular group ,like corps directors.

Most NFL owners have experience/expertise in other areas and overall are a very diverse group.

They also are wiling to call in outside consultants to address issues.

Same with the NCAA.

They appoint study commissions for major issues.Most recently "one and dones" in Basketball.

Both the NFL and NCAA are also subject to government oversight.

To me,DCI is incestuous.

Unless you get a truly independent governing body for DCI,its not going to address inherent problems.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BigW said:

understood expectations people have for a DCI World Class team

I would also expect that from the middle school band. I think we are all seeing/feeling/saying the same thing. The current structure does not provide enough (any) comfort level to address and nip things like this thread is pointing out, in the bud. The structure is focused on protecting the cash cow with as much stool time for everyone but fails when ethics and safety of the MM's surfaces. It doesn't take a genius to figure this all out. I would not want to be a corps director or dci official when the liability lands in their lap. The point is that those in charge or that position themselves as perceived to be in charge because they feed from the teat have more than their lively hoods to worry about. I am just as concerned for them as I am for the MMs. Duck Boat exects will soon be going to jail already happened to water park exects in Kansas and any other libel issue that just boggles the mind . Maybe I am reading to much into this, hope so.

• Like 1