hazing/misconduct

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

When I was 16 the Glassmen dropped me off and went to pick something up at the store while we were inside. Said call us when you're almost done and they picked us up right after. They called to let my mom know I was going in but couldnt do much else after i handed my card and info. So from my experience seems normal. 

They left themselves open to some major civil liability. And it’s not normal at all to leave a juvenile that you, as a drum corps, have taken responsibility for at a medical facility with no supervision at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But his mom also added: 

Okay. It’s good to know I’m not being completely ridiculous. He was medically screened & not deemed emergent & they had to Uber to the local clinic.

So ######

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

They left themselves open to some major civil liability. And it’s not normal at all to leave a juvenile that you, as a drum corps, have taken responsibility for at a medical facility with no supervision at all. 

Even if the person is not a minor (a fluid term since Federal Law allows parents to include hospital coverage until age 25, etc., and State's make it 22, 21, 18, 17, 16 according to circumstance) where is the compassion, concern, and if nothing else the CYA for the corps? It's the difference of thinking of mms as people not just dots.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Even if the person is not a minor (a fluid term since Federal Law allows parents to include hospital coverage until age 25, etc., and State's make it 22, 21, 18, 17, 16 according to circumstance) where is the compassion, concern, and if nothing else the CYA for the corps? It's the difference of thinking of mms as people not just dots.

This 100%!!!!! I could not agree more!!!! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

And your reading comprehension skills suck. I noted that the YEA Board and organization was NOT the norm - if someone has an issue at Cavaliers, or Blue Devils, or Boston - any of the majors - you can bet your ### that those organizations will investigate and, if necessary, either bring changes or charges to the situation. Whatever happened at YEA and their culture doesn't  reflect how everyone else's organizations treat member safety. 

My comprehension skills are fine. The YEA board was presented with a set of anonymous allegations against an individual about whom there had never been any allegations of assault, and undertook an investigation. The people making the accusations did not come forward, and until they did the investigation was fishing in the dark for 10 weeks. Within 24 hours of their coming forward, the person accused of wrongdoing was out. Had the accusers come forward 10 weeks earlier, the results would have been identical without the limbo period.  I realize that people want things wrapped up in the amount of time it takes to watch an episode of "Law and Order", but in the real world things don't work that fast.

if the same set of circumstances had presented themselves to another corps in the same way at the time, I believe it would have played out the same. 

Edited by Icer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

They had to Uber to a clinic because they were deemed non-emergency.  

I’m trying to wrap my head around that. 

So, I wonder if DCI is going to step in and do something about this “world class” corps. They seem to be turning into the next Magic of Orlando. I felt so bad for those guys in ‘97. They were the worst cared for corps...hands down. Regiment ended up feeding them at every show we had with them, it seems, because they had no food

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I am furious.  Corps admins are "in locus parentis" just like school staff. Good lawyers sometimes remind them of this.

There are so many things wrong with this situation. For one thing, my experience with service trips I’ve been part of, a chaperone had to be with a minor at a hospital emergency room to sign paperwork. Usually there would be at least one situation that required an emergency room visit, not only did the chaperone have to be present, a parent or guardian had to be contacted in the presence of medical personnel. 

I recall having to go to workshops in the late 90’s where these practices were first announced. At the same time for different purposes, I had to go to workshops regarding visiting patients in the hospital involving new practices related to HIPAA laws.  My thought is that since these workshops happened around the same time, the policies of having an adult with authority accompany a minor to a hospital emergency room is not simply a good policy, it’s probably the law, and if it is not a Federal law, it is the law in Massachusetts, Georgia, Kentucky, and Virginia, and I know this from experience.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

I’ll just leave this here....

noticing a trend about that corps on reddit for a while now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icer said:

My comprehension skills are fine. The YEA board was presented with a set of anonymous allegations against an individual about whom there had never been any allegations of assault, and undertook an investigation. The people making the accusations did not come forward, and until they did the investigation was fishing in the dark for 10 weeks. Within 24 hours of their coming forward, the person accused of wrongdoing was out. Had the accusers come forward 10 weeks earlier, the results would have been identical without the limbo period.  I realize that people want things wrapped up in the amount of time it takes to watch an episode of "Law and Order", but in the real world things don't work that fast.

if the same set of circumstances had presented themselves to another corps in the same way at the time, I believe it would have played out the same. 

there's well documented reasons as to why they didnt come forward.