hazing/misconduct

Just now, Tim K said:

Since it is often pointed out DCI has no real authority unless the corps directors approve it, DCI  could have credibility in this area, if the directors allowed it.Yes DCI stepped in when Cadets had their issues and used authority it did not have, but if they were challenged, the challengers would look as if they condoned the activity, or worse were afraid their corps would be next. Directors may be less likely to give DCI the authority to draft policies each corps would follow regarding safety other than sexual misconduct, but if there were proposals and enough directors voted in favor, things could be different. Also, DCI establishing policies could be helpful in establishing a “this point forward” which while not wiping the slate clean, would help corps establish better practices.

We've heard of fox guarding the chicken coop. This is getting to be fox being part owner of chicken coop as anything that hits the corps hits DCI and visa versa. Turning into a real conflict of interest and need some outside leadership to get the crap straightened out. Wow how my opinion ofDCI done a 180 in a short time

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's well documented reasons as to why they didnt come forward.

I believe that a victim's story is his or her own, and that the time and place to come forward should be at their choosing. However, making the claims anonymously in an attempt to get done what could only be accomplished in the open surely made the situation worse because it created a limbo period in which it was impossible to achieve their desired objective, and created collateral damage which has yet to be fully tallied. 

The best course of action would have been to wait until they were ready to come forward and then to just do it. Teasing the information was flat-out wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Icer said:

I believe that a victim's story is his or her own, and that the time and place to come forward should be at their choosing. However, making the claims anonymously in an attempt to get done what could only be accomplished in the open surely made the situation worse because it created a limbo period in which it was impossible to achieve their desired objective, and created collateral damage which has yet to be fully tallied. 

The best course of action would have been to wait until they were ready to come forward and then to just do it. Teasing the information was flat-out wrong. 

You say the victims time and place to come forward should be of their own choosing, then proceed to bash them for how and when they chose to come forward. Just stop. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I believe everything I read on the Internet, particularly a somewhat anonymous message board, with a grain of salt. Undoubtedly some truth in many of the stories we read here, but many, if not most, could be anomalies. I hate seeing the mob mentality come out when threads like this are created. 

As someone who has been around the activity for 40+ years, the quality of care the corps members receive today is far superior to what we saw 10, 20, or more years ago. The maturity of the kids is impressive, and I think the misconduct mentioned in this thread is rare. I have always found drum corps kids very acceptive of others with different backgrounds and lifestyles. I think that is truer today than ever. 

What happened at the Cadets this year could have happened at almost every corps back in the 70s and 80s when it comes to staff involvement with members (often under 18 members, and I am referring to consensual relationships - but in some states, still illegal). I know first hand a few members of the DCI HOF that engaged in behavior back in the day that would get them fired today. 

Different times, different definitions of what is acceptable. The changes have been for the better. Can we improve? Absolutely. Is there a systemic problem? No. 

Edited by mcjordansc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Icer said:

while not wanting to rehash that story, that Board would not have believed anything anyone said about the former director that didnt kiss his ###

as for as the Reddit/corps not to be named story, I am very tempted to believe the reporters have been approached

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You say the victims time and place to come forward should be of their own choosing, then proceed to bash them for how and when they chose to come forward. Just stop. 

No, I think that coming forward halfway was not a good idea. 

12 minutes ago, Icer said:

No, I think that coming forward halfway was not a good idea. 

You are literally victim blaming here. Stop. Decent humans don’t do that.

The victims went about it the way they did because they were terrified that coming forward might sink the corps, which is something none of them wanted. They weren’t thinking about themselves. Think about that before you get all ignorant again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

You are literally victim blaming here. Stop. Decent humans don’t do that.

The victims went about it the way they did because they were terrified that coming forward might sink the corps, which is something none of them wanted. They weren’t thinking about themselves. Think about that before you get all ignorant again.

he's been touting that line for months. he wont change his mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Since it is often pointed out DCI has no real authority unless the corps directors approve it, DCI  could have credibility in this area, if the directors allowed it.Yes DCI stepped in when Cadets had their issues and used authority it did not have, but if they were challenged, the challengers would look as if they condoned the activity, or worse were afraid their corps would be next. Directors may be less likely to give DCI the authority to draft policies each corps would follow regarding safety other than sexual misconduct, but if there were proposals and enough directors voted in favor, things could be different. Also, DCI establishing policies could be helpful in establishing a “this point forward” which while not wiping the slate clean, would help corps establish better practices.

It reminds me in a way of when I was in military.  For the last 15 years I was on various Headquarters staffs, including 2 tours at Pentagon (I have a somewhat unique skill set that they needed at the time).  Anyway, I dealt a lot with Generals, and saw a lot as well.  If I as a Major or Lt Col had pulled some of these stunts (using government funds inappropriately, adultery, & security violations (at least one of which lead to US military members getting killed or injured, etc)), I would have been at the least posted to some undesirable, remote location, or, more likely court-martialed (and rightly so!).  But, the Generals just could not bring themselves to discipline each other.  A few of the incidents did make it into the news, and still the worst that came of it would be a reprimand.

DCI is acting the same way.  What will it take to get their attention?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English