That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

I don't know. Generally I can be classified with the grumpy old guys on this issue, I think DCI lost something when they went to 3 valves, changed keys, added amps etc. But there is a part of me that can imagine a completely mind-blowingly awesome show using particular pieces that I love, and it would still be a very "drum corps" show. Oh, it would use all sorts of keyboards and amped vocals. So stuck in this paradigm as I am, I will have to "wait and see" what the Scouts and others do for 2009. I personally have not seen a BOA show that used synthesizers that impressed me.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait! A late breaking update on Madison's 2009 show!

Can this thread get any MORE cliche?

I've already noticed the old standards. These invariably go exactly according to this plan:

1. Post decrying the inclusion of instruments deemed "not pure enough".

2. Counter-post making sarcastic, zinging remark about how the world will not end.

3. Counter-Counter Post making hyperbolic statement regarding said poster's will to attend shows.

4. Throw-away post about leaving the thread before the "firestorm" starts, even though said post is the first by that member in the thread, and thus also their last. One wonders why the time was wasted.

5. Pro-Electronic post with not-so-subtle tone of mocking superiority due to current position as the "winning side".

6. Counter-post by rabid anti-electronic member with possible Godwin implications.

7. Numerous posts that continue for the next 27 pages and all saying exactly the same thing, in an infinite loop, as if a cosmic score keeper is keeping track of the number of times the words "innovative" and "dinosaur" are used and the winner will get to have their way.

8. Post questioning the validity of continuing to call the activity "Drum Corps" based upon new instrumentation.

9. Post arguing that "Drum Corps" is an idea, not a genre, and thus is not subject to strict instrumentation rules to maintain its identity.

10. By this point, a search of the word "Hopkins" will reveal it to be the most-used word in the entire thread by at least a count of 125.

11. Post lamenting the "good old days".

12. Post attacking previous "good old boy/girl" for being stuck in the past.

13. Several posts launching e-spitballs.

14. Thread eventually reaches critical mass, a point which threatens to tear the very fabric of space-time and destroy the infinite universe.

15. Crises is averted when thread dies due to creation of NEW thread rehashing everything previously stated in OLD thread.

16. A fairy is brought back to life.

17. An angel gets its wings.

18. Repeat

Can this thread get any MORE cliche?

I've already noticed the old standards. These invariably go exactly according to this plan:

1. Post decrying the inclusion of instruments deemed "not pure enough".

2. Counter-post making sarcastic, zinging remark about how the world will not end.

3. Counter-Counter Post making hyperbolic statement regarding said poster's will to attend shows.

4. Throw-away post about leaving the thread before the "firestorm" starts, even though said post is the first by that member in the thread, and thus also their last. One wonders why the time was wasted.

5. Pro-Electronic post with not-so-subtle tone of mocking superiority due to current position as the "winning side".

6. Counter-post by rabid anti-electronic member with possible Godwin implications.

7. Numerous posts that continue for the next 27 pages and all saying exactly the same thing, in an infinite loop, as if a cosmic score keeper is keeping track of the number of times the words "innovative" and "dinosaur" are used and the winner will get to have their way.

8. Post questioning the validity of continuing to call the activity "Drum Corps" based upon new instrumentation.

9. Post arguing that "Drum Corps" is an idea, not a genre, and thus is not subject to strict instrumentation rules to maintain its identity.

10. By this point, a search of the word "Hopkins" will reveal it to be the most-used word in the entire thread by at least a count of 125.

11. Post lamenting the "good old days".

12. Post attacking previous "good old boy/girl" for being stuck in the past.

13. Several posts launching e-spitballs.

14. Thread eventually reaches critical mass, a point which threatens to tear the very fabric of space-time and destroy the infinite universe.

15. Crises is averted when thread dies due to creation of NEW thread rehashing everything previously stated in OLD thread.

16. A fairy is brought back to life.

17. An angel gets its wings.

18. Repeat

Y_So_Srs.jpg

Edited by pito'evil

You forgot about the "wait and see" posts. What numer are they?

I consider them neutral posts, and thus do not include them on the list because posts that don't create large amounts of fireworks are boring. :satisfied:

(Actually, probably around number 7-8....maybe 7a.)

Moving the goalposts closer to marching band isn’t challenging our drum corps conventions? And if it’s not, does that mean you think the Scouts have committed the greater sin by turning their backs on 20th Century drum corps?

Tell me straight. I can take it.

HH

Heh.

Honestly, IMO, moving towards a known quantity (marching band) does nothing to challenge any "conventions" of drum corps . . .it only provides an easy way to transport "creative" ideas A, B and C from BOA and WGI right on over to DCI, no thought process or separate creative vision needed.

. . .and, yes, quite frankly, since the Scouts are now:

1) the first ones to really go out there and say "we needs some synths" before anyone else has . . .er, "officially" . . .

and

2) certain parts of their identity they've established over the years (the "crowd first" philosophy, "louder, faster, higher", etc) are somewhat at odds with the future they now pursue that seems to indicate grabbing at whatever new stuff DCI throws at them.

Those two things seperate them from Hop and company right now . . .and as surely as George has built his fortunes on "the pursuit of the edge", the Madison Scouts have been the traditional "crowd pleaser" and that's what makes this a little larger in the off-season, IMO.

I hope this move towards the political center of DCI works, though . . .'cause if it doesn't these next few years, then they end up not only astray from those tenets above that set them apart to begin with, but more than likely becoming just another corps that apes the big boys in order to try to get to Saturday night again.

It will be an interesting experiment to watch unfold.

Heh.

Honestly, IMO, moving towards a known quantity (marching band) does nothing to challenge any "conventions" of drum corps . . .it only provides an easy way to transport "creative" ideas A, B and C from BOA and WGI right on over to DCI, no thought process or separate creative vision needed.

. . .and, yes, quite frankly, since the Scouts are now:

1) the first ones to really go out there and say "we needs some synths" before anyone else has . . .er, "officially" . . .

and

2) certain parts of their identity they've established over the years (the "crowd first" philosophy, "louder, faster, higher", etc) are somewhat at odds with the future they now pursue that seems to indicate grabbing at whatever new stuff DCI throws at them.

Those two things seperate them from Hop and company right now . . .and as surely as George has built his fortunes on "the pursuit of the edge", the Madison Scouts have been the traditional "crowd pleaser" and that's what makes this a little larger in the off-season, IMO.

I hope this move towards the political center of DCI works, though . . .'cause if it doesn't these next few years, then they end up not only astray from those tenets above that set them apart to begin with, but more than likely becoming just another corps that apes the big boys in order to try to get to Saturday night again.

It will be an interesting experiment to watch unfold.

I'm betting the Scouts will use the synthesizer for effects only and not turn into the Cadets. Thank God for that.

Of course not. But neither do I think today’s instrumental groups should be limited to the instruments of yesterday. Because Bach didn’t compose for an orchestra with saxophones, that doesn’t mean that today’s classical composers shouldn’t. Just because the original corps didn’t have pit percussion doesn’t mean today’s can’t.

Electronics are an option in today’s music. Saying drum corps can’t avail themselves of that opportunity is condemning the activity to a tighter niche than already binds it. Bagpipe bands, fife and drum corps, they’re wonderful things. We just don’t want to join them in the old-fashione category.

HH

You forgot the Mummers :satisfied: And it only took 37 years for the Scouts to catch up to The Who with synths. ("Whos Next" was supposedly first rock album to use synths.)

Kinda Off Topic to the synth discussion but the "tighter niche" brings up one of two things I thought of after I signed off. Back when I started there where a higher percentage of fans that had no music background but came because they just liked watching the shows. Enough of them showed up that there were thousands at the shows I attended. Now the crowd numbers don't come close and the percentage of musically trained people is a lot higher. IMO, the niche became smaller way before any talk of amps, synths or even key of Bb. I remember hearing DCI is becoming "music majors playing for other music majors" back in the mid 1980s. And early 1990s was the era of fans become upset with esoteric shows according to the History of Drum Corps Vol I. (About the time I walked away for 10 years for partially that reason.)

Other thing I re-remembered was the difference in philosophies(sp!) in DC. Today the emphasis is on education in DCI and any thoughts of fan entertainment come second.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari