That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

Also:

Since drum corps have been copying band instruments for decades you would obviously see Sousaphones, Trombones, and French Horns on the field at this point, right? I mean, they are brass instruments and it would only make sense to include them in an all brass/percussion/colorguard ensemble right?

382oh_snap.jpg

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argee that MBs changed show design to corps style but now DCs are "returning the favor" :satisfied: by changing instrumentation to match what bands have. To me the instrument change is what I think of when I say DCI is becoming band like. As for being unique, I'd like someone to explain to me in a satisfactory matter why becoming a clone of another group is a good thing.

Drum corps instrumentation has been moving towards the band world long before DCI came along.

Drum corps instrumentation has been moving towards the band world long before DCI came along.

When will drum corps start to use sousaphones? trombones? upright marching euphoniums? And why haven't they already?

And didn't drum corps instrumentation move AWAY from the band world when an alto line of mellophones, flugelhorns, french horns, alto bugles, etc. was consolidated into a single mellophone line?

I got hired on as assistant band director at my high school this year, and I've been to band shows for the first time in over a decade. I've heard some pretty cool solo stuff for woodwinds that have been mic'd. I can see why a band with woodwinds would want to include it. But as for brass solo/small ensemble work, I don't think it's needed. So, for dci, I guess that if woodwinds were added, then I could understand mics for those instruments. I don't want woodwinds in dci, but I can see why mics would be useful and beneficial to ensembles with marching woodwinds.

I don't like woodwinds much on the field, but that's mostly because of the quality of sound that most marching woodwinds put out (composite/plastic oboes and clarinets = barf). As for synths...they just sound silly every time I hear them. They don't make me want to light my hair on fire like they seem to make so many others on here want to do, but they sound silly.

There's this thing called "learning a new instrument" that helps woodwind players like myself branch out and learn new things we otherwise wouldn't be so inclined to do so.

Nothing to stop them from doing so even if DCI ever adds WW to drum corps.

Drum corps is an incredible outlet for many Woodwind players to experience brass/percussion playing & colorguard they otherwise wouldn't be motivated to learn. Personally, I don't want to take that opportunity away. Despite your ingenious view of how today's youth think, the most of us do NOT feel excluded. Put woodwinds in drum corps and you'll see extreme hatred from a HUGE amount of people INCLUDING ww players.

I don't think it is going to happen any time soon, but I disagree with your assessment, actually. However, it's just MHO. Again, WW are a long way away, as there is no real push for them.

Also:

Since drum corps have been copying band instruments for decades you would obviously see Sousaphones, Trombones, and French Horns on the field at this point, right? I mean, they are brass instruments and it would only make sense to include them in an all brass/percussion/colorguard ensemble right?

Look at the instruments from 1948 and then as of 2008.

So no, you do not automatically have to see those instruments on the field.

I got hired on as assistant band director at my high school this year, and I've been to band shows for the first time in over a decade. I've heard some pretty cool solo stuff for woodwinds that have been mic'd. I can see why a band with woodwinds would want to include it. But as for brass solo/small ensemble work, I don't think it's needed. So, for dci, I guess that if woodwinds were added, then I could understand mics for those instruments. I don't want woodwinds in dci, but I can see why mics would be useful and beneficial to ensembles with marching woodwinds.

I don't like woodwinds much on the field, but that's mostly because of the quality of sound that most marching woodwinds put out (composite/plastic oboes and clarinets = barf). As for synths...they just sound silly every time I hear them. They don't make me want to light my hair on fire like they seem to make so many others on here want to do, but they sound silly.

I thought it was illegal to march a double reed instrument. :satisfied:

right. and when was the last time a hornline in G made finals. there is bleedover. narration to date has been the anamoly, only because 95% of what has been done has been done poorly

When was the last time there was a G hornline that deserved to be in Finals and was "left out"?

Although I do find the singular (synthesizer) of this thread amusing, this taboo isn't really about the number that is used.

It is about the implementation, and, more importantly, the fact that "electronics" (such a generic term that I use here only because it's the word with which most can, or think they can, identify) are not an afterthought in the design process.

If "electronics" are used at all, then their use should be considered at the root level of design and orchestration, and because of such, can then be integrated into the product in a much more streamlined, sophisticated, and coordinated manner.

Unfortunately, this is generally not the process taken, causing the use of "electronics" to be careless and poorly represented.

I've heard your work with synths and stuff. I like it, and if you are still working with the Crossmen i can't wait to hear what it will sound like. I really think Crossmen have an advantage with proper usage of this stuff having you on board.... however, I thought their brass book could have been a lot better this year. I enjoyed the music last year, but it needs to be scored to be played louder or more effective (now i know someone else did the orchestrations and such). Overall though, i really liked your twist on the planets.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife