I find that when listening to DCA you have to look for the good stuff rather than the bad to enjoy the performances.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish the quality of the DVDs gave at least partial justice to the performances of all the corps.

The corps should all be proud, and ( IMHO ) the DVD's made the performances look just fine.

There are some bitter folks here who are transferring their emotions to trash the DVD's

They are not perfect, neither is DCI's, they provide a valid record of the event, and IMHO are not as bad as some folks are making them out to be.

For the record I am a washed up 60 year old used to be contra bass, and some years I make finals, some years I don't, but I always look forward to viewing the DVD's of both DCA and DCI.

note to self...sit down and finally watch the #### thing next week

note to self...sit down and finally watch the #### thing next week

or just send them to me and i'll do it for you!

After viewing the Finals Disc MANY times, I would say the crowd clearly would have "judged" Empire #1 and Bucs/Cabs 2-3. Fully realizing that I am including my own preferences when I look at a show, I, too would have had Empire #1 and wouldn't be very upset if either Cabs or Bucs were 2nd with the other 3rd. If the Cabs Alumni was competing, I'd put them number 2 anyway. I bought the DVDs to see what I consider top drum corps, not what the judges like.

Joe D.

####, I thought I was doing drum corps all these years!! Guess I'll have to sit my family down over the holidays and tell them I've been living a lie. :thumbup:

nah i have time next week

heyy lighten up bud :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to buying the DVD's, and after watching them I have decided two things.

1) Picture quality isn't bad.

2) Audio could stand to be upgraded.

At first I noticed it (audio) in the Class A groups, but I thought... well they are class A, but then I noticed them in some of the bigger lines, like Bucs and CV. I know no microphone will ever be as good as a set of ears, but there is definitely better equipment out there.

I know we can't get the quality that DCI has in the DVD's (they spend around 100,000 to put that show on), but with some upgraded audio, it could be MUCH better. That really is my only complaint.

I guess I feel like it is hard to recruit because of this. You really just need people to come see a show live, because I do not feel that the DVD is enough to do the corps any justice... especially when compared to the recording quality that DCI uses.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm ok with it, but it could be better. i think the lighting there isnt as bright on the dvd as it seems in person