Is Drum Corps still a youth based activity?

Is world class a youth acvtivity  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Only 2 choices with comment

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, only because it still has the age cutoff. Youth yes. Kid activity? No, probably not

Simple question should be an easy answer. Remember "kids" can vote and serve int he armed forces at 18. I know what I consider an adult. So my answer is no, because of the average age.

So then Drum Corps at the highest levels have never been a youth activity, based on this criteria. The average age of the top corps has been over 18 ever since I started marching (back in 1978).

Youth is traditionally defined as the period of time between early childhood and man and/or womanhood.

Even the Jaycees have a cut off age limit and they certainly are not a youth activity by no means; so a self imposed cut off age limit does not define any legal status of a person. The law defines the legal status of a person, and it is well defined.

It may be more apropriate to say a "youthful activity" simply due to the fact legally aged viewed adults are performing as a part of the activity in a legal sense within the World and Open class corps.

When the legal age of adulthood was 21 years old, that was a whole different senario; then one could easily (and legally) say it was solely a youth activity because the age limit was aligned with the legal age of adulthood at that time.

The most important thing is to try and keep the activity going, whether it's All Age, World, Open, International, Alumni, etc..

That's the challenge at hand.

Yep, I say it's still a youth thing. Regardless of what the law says, I'll consider myself to be a youth until I age-out in 2013. :)