Music for Prauge?

Has no corps ever played this? I looked it up on corpsreps and it listed Frontier 07 as the only corps to ever play it. Anyone else think this would be awesome on a field?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prague. I absolutely love the piece and was in seventh heaven when I was able to attend a concert with Husa explaining each movement in between the movements.

But there are too many things that can only be done with instruments not on the drum corps field that just wouldn't cut it with brass and legal percussion.

And after a dozen viewings, much of the audience would still be angry.

Definitely not. For one, it is far too dissonant to create great effect and I think the average drum corps fan would not get into the music. It was written during the "dark ages" of Wind Ensemble music. Along those lines, I don't think you could write an arrangement utilizing standard drum corps instrumentation that would do the piece justice. However, I do think a show based on the same concept that Music for Prague was written could be a very powerful show.

I was actually in a community band in Tennessee when Mr. Husa reheaarsed and conducted the group in concert with Music For Prague. This is one of the nicest men I have ever met in the business...and told about his hair-raising escape from Prague when the Soviets invaded. This piece is truly an emotional statement; and was even more so under this great man's baton.

Probably one of the most memorable experiences in my musical career.

I was actually in a community band in Tennessee when Mr. Husa reheaarsed and conducted the group in concert with Music For Prague. This is one of the nicest men I have ever met in the business...and told about his hair-raising escape from Prague when the Soviets invaded. This piece is truly an emotional statement; and was even more so under this great man's baton.

Probably one of the most memorable experiences in my musical career.

I agree with you on Mr. Husa's personality. I was at a luncheon once and for some reason I never understood, was seated between Karel Husa and W. Francis McBeth. They were both amazingly talkative and it didn't matter to either one that I was an unknown.

For those who don't know the piece, here's a short 8-minute excerpt. It's from the last segment of the piece.

I think you'll see why I commented earlier that the work would make fans angry.

And it would be a disservice to one of the greatest pieces of music ever written, IMHO.

I performed this in college. I think there are moments that could be incorporated into a show. The "main theme" so to speak is a Hussite war song "Ye Warriors of God and His Laws." The big final chorale in the 4th movement could be cool. There is some stuff in the 2nd movement, most notably the saxophone chorale could be cool if arranged for low brass. (I'm certainly not advocating saxophones in drum corps!) :thumbup: The trumpet fanfare in the first movement is cool and could work.

Great piece. One of my favorites.

For some reason, the piece screams Blue Knights to me.

Fantastic work, absolutely one of my all time favorites to either perform or listen to.

But to put it simply Corps is the wrong venue for something like this. There are certainly elements of the piece that could work in a show based around a similar concept, but as a venue Drum Corps would not do sufficient justice to the piece with all the complexities and subtleties behind it. Not to mention the connection with the audience would likely be about on par with the reactions Star 93 was generating.

I thought Crown did a bit of it in 1996...maybe I'm wrong?

Definitely not. For one, it is far too dissonant to create great effect and I think the average drum corps fan would not get into the music.

I might have agreed with you before tonight. I was just a high school marching show (go ahead and let the rock hurling begin) and it was performed tonight by L.D Bell high school (defending BOA national champs, for those of you who could care less about BOA.)

It was freaking awesome in the context they used it in, and it was by far louder, if not on the same level at least, than most of the corps in finals this year. I suppose thats what inspired me to post this topic, I would just love to see it done by a corps after seeing it done so well by a high school.