Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

Jason (thirdcoast) recently posted this...

So I have a plan. Here was my thought driving to the East Side last Sunday. Why not start up the MADISON JR. SCOUTS agian. Girls and Guys, who really cares. I always would have liked to try that but it wasnt in the offering for me. No way I was going anywhere else to march. Parades and Standstills, money making machine all for PROFIT. Does not have to be big, just enough to play old years of the MADISON SCOUTS DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS. Say 1974 1st year. I think we have everything in place, we have Capsound defunct, so we can start reasonably quick. We have the music in files I beleive, We have uniforms, #### alums could be playing staff, hell they can do it to. All for profit. Hell I can still play. Well then how about that pod thing. If I sent the music and extra horns to Jeff in Denver and he could find the kids why not have him do it to. He can find 20 kids, hell this could work. 20 here, 20 Denver, Danny in Texas could find 20, thats 60. HMMMMMMM! All playing the same music doing the same show. Parades and standstills still pay I believe. Pure profit. Not really that much overhead, go to the performance, bring your horn or drum, get paid. Go home and practice, Do it agian. Perform, get paid, pay the taxes, help the Corps. So, 60- Hm. Get together twice a year= DRUMS ON PARADE- Guess we have to start a parade- and finals weekend- Limitless. World wide- 20 to 30 pods everywhere playing the same music coming together twice a year. Hell I bet DCI would pay to see that. Hell I can throw some drill at the pods, and the kids involved could do the drill also. And if we got good enough, the pods could start meeting a little more and mabye, just mabye, we could throw down at open finals. This could become big time. How bout those 2005 uniforms with a beautiful all girl red rifle line. All looking like carmen. How ya like me now. This isnt gonna suck. Hell heres a thought, why not post the music, if you can play it you could come right out of the stands and play with us. That would be friken classic. Play never walk with a fan,that would be an honer. Hell mabye I can get Mike to play the solo agian. Hmmmm! Mabye I can get Mike to help.HMMMMMM mabye they would help. HMMMMMMMM! Mabye I can get the girls to help with Souvies. I miss there tables. You know what I miss is the Golf carts, and seeing everyone, its been to long to be away and I am ready to come back. The Corps is fine now, and it has been a long two years making sure its gonna be here forever. 2 years is a long time to be away from my favorite week of the year. I miss it. 2009 is gonna rule.

Jason

Drum Corps Rules!

I happen to know that he has done more than just dream about it. He is talking to people, lining things up and is looking for help. In fact, I met with him the other day along with another alum and started kicking around ideas. Start simple, and build from there. Use proceeds to help the Scouts. But I have to admit, I do not know much about starting a parade corps. The Board will want to hear a coherent plan before they agree to let us use the Scouts name. So, I would appreciate anyone who could provide some info on what we need to plan for in starting up a local parade corps to post or PM me.

We plan on meeting again in Madison in a couple of weeks. We invite any interested folks to attend. When we shore up the time and place, I will post it.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know this is not the intention, but doesn't this sound like a slap in the face to Capital Sound?
Not in the least. I would have to believe that most would figure that if we could get this going, it would be in the best interest of the Scouts. This in no way has anything to do with Cap Sound, we need some more exposure here in Madison proper, small corps to do parades and standstills,with something going to the Scouts. Thats it, for now. Cap Sound wants to field a competitive corps this summer more power to them. I dont think they are, but this should not stop them if they want to. If they want to help get this started, that would be better. You see with it being local and smallish there is not much overhead, get a horn or drum and they take care of it. Show up at practice and play old Madison Scout music, Get to the performances. Get paid, pay the taxes, help the Corps. Have fun. Its a win win situation. So no slaps to the face, just hugs.

Peace,

Jason

i know this is not the intention, but doesn't this sound like a slap in the face to Capital Sound?

Why?

Why?

Gotta agree with you...saying that MJS returning is a slap in the face to Cap Sound is like saying the new VK is a slap in the face to the OLD VK....and if you've ever seen the old VK alums support the new kids, you know that is NOT the case!

It would be an easy start up. All you need is eleventy bajillion dollars and a bunch of kids that want to join another new corps that weren't already marching elsewhere. Hey, maybe the Capitolaires should be restarted. That wouldn't hurt Cap Sound either :happy:

I would have to agree. If they were started again cap sound would have no chance at all. The Americanos at this point are selling off everything, with no real big plans to restart again unless a bunch of people want to go in and take it over. IF the americanos come back they will back with one condition most of there kids will be from the fox valley area. I say cap sound should be worked with. why start another corps when there is a perfectly good one in the area.

I would have to agree. If they were started again cap sound would have no chance at all. The Americanos at this point are selling off everything, with no real big plans to restart again unless a bunch of people want to go in and take it over. IF the americanos come back they will back with one condition most of there kids will be from the fox valley area. I say cap sound should be worked with. why start another corps when there is a perfectly good one in the area.

VK reemerging did nothing to harm Pacific Crest or any other corps...Incognito didn't harm VK....the corps that are having troubles out here have other issues.

I find it ironic -- and a little sad -- that we who have bemoaned the loss of so many corps over the years now have some who would bemoan the restarting of one.

I find it ironic -- and a little sad -- that we who have bemoaned the loss of so many corps over the years now have some who would bemoan the restarting of one.

Well in this case, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean think about it. Sure it would be nice to have Americanos back, but these ideas should be saved for areas that have no corps at all. I mean it's Wisconsin, you've got about six World Class corps and two other Open Class ones in or near your area, and it's not like Cap Soud doesn't have any spots left over! Fill out the corps that have holes and get them up to 150, and if there are still kids that want to march THEN start a new corps or bring back an old one.

I'm not against DCI growing in fact I'm actually for it, but I don't want to see another 30- member corps out there that's just going to fall apart or plain suck (the lowest score at Bloomington this year was just short of 70, so no corps that currently exist fall into that category).

It would be an easy start up. All you need is eleventy bajillion dollars and a bunch of kids that want to join another new corps that weren't already marching elsewhere. Hey, maybe the Capitolaires should be restarted. That wouldn't hurt Cap Sound either :happy:
Nope, I sure hope it does not cost a bajillion dollars to figure this out. My plan is simple with as little hardships as possible. Get the instruments, practice some music, put on the unis , go make some money. Have fun. It will be great wailing God Bless The Child, mabye just mabye I can convince the guy on the DVD to come play the solo agian. Ill bet I can. He lives right down the street. This is going to be a good thing, I promise.

Cant wait to play agian,

Jason