Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

Cap Sound is inactive with no intentions of becoming active any time soon. Their board has already given verbal permission for MJS to use their horns.

As a member of the Capital Sound Drum and Bugle Corps Board of Directors, I can tell you that no one has been given any kind of permission to use our horns or any of our equipment. Any "verbal permission" has no legal authorization. Comments of this nature seem to be getting out of hand and could lead to legal repercussions. In the future, please do not speak for the Board of Directors unless you have written permission to do so.

If you wish to have serious discussions with our organization about our equipment, I suggest you contact the Corps and speak to the Board directly, instead of hiding behind some on-line name in a forum. If you wish to pursue your ideas independently, you have my best wishes.

Rick Melcher

Rick and all,

As I stated in the post just above yours, I now understand that there is no agreement. I had heard it from sources I believed reliable. Obviously, that is where my error lies, and for this I do apologize. Lesson learned, confirm the information straight from those in the know, such as yourself, in this case. I also need to apologize for giving others the impression that the Cap Sound BoD had given permission, further accentuating my error and causing others to likely question the Cap Sound BoD.

One thing I do want to address. My real name is in my signature on every post. I hide from no one. When I make an error, as I have here, I own up to it and I do what is necessary to make sure that I do not repeat it. I encourage those who see an error, as you have, to alert to that fact. I cannot fix that which I do not know is wrong. So, I appreciate it when others show where I have erred.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have received a couple of messages from people associated with Capital Sound expressing their concern about trying to come back with MJS being active. Potentially, it could create competition for membership. Although we have kicked around the idea of inviting alums to play, the target group we have discussed is middle school aged kids. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that Cap Sound's membership is typically older than that. That being the case, we could be potentially feeding Cap Sound as well as the Scouts. I will say publicly, on this forum, that we never deliberately set out to disrespect or kill off Capital Sound. If this project ever takes that turn, I will leave it. I want to see the activity grow and prosper. I invite Cap Sound people to PM me with their thoughts. I promise to respond respectfully and to bring them up at our meetings."

David,

I'm not sure what PM means but I am asking you directly to stop making vague references to "people associated with Capital Sound". If you want to contact someone with authority in the Capital Sound organization directly, then you may e-mail me directly at capsounddad@yahoo.com. In the meantime, please stop giving people the impression that ANYONE you have spoken to has any authority to speak for Capital Sound.

Rick Melcher

PM means "personal message." That's all. Any other information I hear regarding Capital Sound I will confirm with you directly. Again, I do apologize to everyone for the error of assumption I have made.

But this is still a good idea why exactly?

It appears that at least some of the information I had was false. I need to find out what is fact and what is not before I comment any further. I do know that there is a meeting at Pedros on the west side of Madison this Thursday at 5:30 and that all are invited to attend.

In the meantime...folks can still give money directly to the Madison Scouts...the corps that is fielding in 2009 and have announced staff, show, etc. This is especially true for alums. 2009 dues is very much appreciated and can help the corps greatly the sooner it is received.

It's bleak out there this year...fuel prices are in good shape right now, but the rest of this economy should have all of us concerned for our favorite corps.

Rick and all,

As I stated in the post just above yours, I now understand that there is no agreement. I had heard it from sources I believed reliable. Obviously, that is where my error lies, and for this I do apologize. Lesson learned, confirm the information straight from those in the know, such as yourself, in this case. I also need to apologize for giving others the impression that the Cap Sound BoD had given permission, further accentuating my error and causing others to likely question the Cap Sound BoD.

One thing I do want to address. My real name is in my signature on every post. I hide from no one. When I make an error, as I have here, I own up to it and I do what is necessary to make sure that I do not repeat it. I encourage those who see an error, as you have, to alert to that fact. I cannot fix that which I do not know is wrong. So, I appreciate it when others show where I have erred.

While Dave and I disagree on some particulars surrounding modern DCI drum corps...I have found him to be open and above board all the time. He would never knowingly lead people down a bad road. As can be seen by the above, he was misled...and has basically fallen on his sword, so to speak...and he always posts his real name.

While Dave and I disagree on some particulars surrounding modern DCI drum corps...I have found him to be open and above board all the time. He would never knowingly lead people down a bad road. As can be seen by the above, he was misled...and has basically fallen on his sword, so to speak...and he always posts his real name.

Yeah, David is one of those guys I do not mind at all going toe to toe with. We disagree often, but he and I both put our names and our resumes out there for people.

I have never questioned the motives of this enterprise, just the purpose. And again, I stand by my statement that as a fundraising impement for the Madison Scouts...giving money directly to the Scouts seems to be the most logical avenue. I have yet to be convinced otherwise.

So in this attempt...it is...the creating of a parade corps unit and a desire to use the name of a former corps from Madison associated with MDBCA. I get it. I like the idea of introducing new kids to drum corps and possibly preparing them for future Open and/or World Class competition. But, that's not a description of a findraising vehicle for the Scouts as this was billed in an earlier iteration. While still a worthy pursuit, this mission would be solely focused on raising money to start a parade corps. Different mission dictates different fundraising direction.

And, it's one right now, I am unable to support. Now, if this drum corps introduction entity existed in the Tempe area, I would gladly support it and I already do.

Yeah, David is one of those guys I do not mind at all going toe to toe with. We disagree often, but he and I both put our names and our resumes out there for people.

I have never questioned the motives of this enterprise, just the purpose. And again, I stand by my statement that as a fundraising impement for the Madison Scouts...giving money directly to the Scouts seems to be the most logical avenue. I have yet to be convinced otherwise.

So in this attempt...it is...the creating of a parade corps unit and a desire to use the name of a former corps from Madison associated with MDBCA. I get it. I like the idea of introducing new kids to drum corps and possibly preparing them for future Open and/or World Class competition. But, that's not a description of a findraising vehicle for the Scouts as this was billed in an earlier iteration. While still a worthy pursuit, this mission would be solely focused on raising money to start a parade corps. Different mission dictates different fundraising direction.

And, it's one right now, I am unable to support. Now, if this drum corps introduction entity existed in the Tempe area, I would gladly support it and I already do.

Dude, you support this more than you think. I think you post to much about alot of stuff you know nothing about, but we take all ideas into concideration. And that is all it is right now. Ideas. The more people post-good or bad, we read it.

Dave is the most stand up person I know, he is very calming.

Jason

2009 MADISON SCOUTS RULE!

As a member of the Capital Sound Drum and Bugle Corps Board of Directors, I can tell you that no one has been given any kind of permission to use our horns or any of our equipment. Any "verbal permission" has no legal authorization. Comments of this nature seem to be getting out of hand and could lead to legal repercussions. In the future, please do not speak for the Board of Directors unless you have written permission to do so.

If you wish to have serious discussions with our organization about our equipment, I suggest you contact the Corps and speak to the Board directly, instead of hiding behind some on-line name in a forum. If you wish to pursue your ideas independently, you have my best wishes.

Rick Melcher

"We have been given one mouth and two ears, So one can talk less and listen more"

Here is what I, ME, no one else and I speak for no one but me (IT IS VERY SAD THAT I HAD TO SAY THAT :thumbup: ) has taken from this topic.

1. I see Madison Alum stepping up to the plate, thinking outside of the box in trying to help out the local youth and the Corps they love. :smile::smile::worthy::smile: And yet some people are slaming them for their effort. This is sad indeed.

2. I see a very valid effort in connectiong with the local young kids and the community at large. Many of us started marching Drum and Bugle Corps in Middle School age or in my case younger.

3. I see Madison Alum trying to make a difference in a young person life. Giving direction and teaching the Core Values of this Great Activity of ours to the young people of today. Most of the life skills that I learned back in the day, I still use today.

4. I see Madison Alum trying to intoduce a great art form to young people who many not have lunch money everyday let alone one plane ticket. They are giving a young person a chance to explore their creative side. I really do thank the Glassmen for allowing me to do just that. For some this may be the first time that someone took a chance on them.

5. Brian and Jason, I have nothing but respect for what you are trying to do for the Young People in your area and The Madison Scouts Org. :big hug: :worthy::worthy::worthy::tongue:

Now for the Capital Sound issue: After reading this thread to me Few if anyone ever slamed Capital Sound. I think many would agree that communications could of been better in this case. From what I have been reading Capital Sound will not be on the field in 2009. If this is true than why some anger from the BoD's of Capital Sound? If this works I see this as a win for your Org. I would hope that one day soon (if this has not started yet) that people on both sides start talking with each other instead of at each other. In the best intrest of the local youth in your areas I would hope a positive out come can be reached. It's the old saying: If you can make a positive impact on a young persons life than all your blood, sweat and tears will of been worth it.

Dean

I meant Dave Sorry

Edited by IntheMood

I think the better course of action would be, in the interest of both young men AND women, to contact the Cap Sound BoD and work with them to strengthen Capital Sound, rather than try and restart Jr. Scouts.

After serving as Director for Cap Sound the past two years, I know the current Board is actively trying to get the corps back onto solid footing, and the more people that can work with them and support their efforts, the better.

Remember, Capital Sound was created by bringing together Jr. Scouts & Capitolaires in order to strengthen membership, and to focus on developing younger talent. The best thing to do would be to assist with THAT goal/mission, help Capital Sound get back into action, and truly produce a local drum corps that can be a locally-focused organization that flourishes.

Just my 2 cents...

"We have been given one mouth and two ears, So one can talk less and listen more"

"Your mind should be faster than your tongue."

Just got that one from a fortune cookie this afternoon! :big hug:

When Rick posted, proper communication began. When I learned that I had misspoken, I made the correction and apologized. I have assured Rick that I would check with him on anything I hear about Cap Sound. I also know Marc, as we marched next to each other in 1985.