Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

I have heard nothing of fines, just debt. Very interesting! I wonder if Dan A. knows about this rumer. Until I hear it from the big boys, it is all rumer.

Prove it, then spread the rumers. Capitol Sound is inactive-they have debt. I aim to help.

Jason

2009 MADISON SCOUTS RULE!

That info is on The Capital Sound website.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Junior corps (no matter what division) don't have a option to simply decide they are going to be DCA corps and just do it. All corps have to go through a evalution process with DCA to be even considered for membership, much less become a member.

So DCA is turning corps down for membership now days? Interesting.

So DCA is turning corps down for membership now days? Interesting.

No more than DCI is turning down corps for membership by having them go thru a review process. DCA is just protecting itself much as DCI does. I'd like to compare the review process of the two circuits but don't know the details.

Heh, only thing I know is the old 70s/80s rule that a corps could not compete at DCA Prelims if they competed as a Junior corps in the same year. Was supposed to keep out DCI corps when DCI Week was only two weeks before DCA Finals.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

A large chunk of their debt IS from the fines levied for last year's inactivity.

No rumour...just fact.

You know what, YOU need to call Vickers. Get my number, call me, and we can have a meeting. I know those cats down in Indy, and I will go personally down there and see that outfit myself. I can then see these fines, straight from the horses mouth. Dan A. and company would love to see me show up at there offices. It is all open to the public, right? Call me!

Jason

Ah...it's the annual...Open Class corps should join DCA argument. THEY DON'T WANT TO. That's the simple answer. It's almost like a battered spouce in some wierd way too. I think Open Class should find some new home...move on...go to DCA, wherever. It is proving more and more each year that Open Class corps members are not moving up the ladder to World Class in any great numbers. Many of the members of Open Class prefer the level of competition, rehearsal schedule and dollar committment in the current structure than going to a World Class corps anyway. Outside the feeder corps (Colts, SCV and BD) I would expect the tie between Open and World Class corps is all but severed.

So, why don't they want to stay with DCI? Could it be the Capital Regiment, Academy, Blue Stars, Jersey Surf phenomenon? "Hey....we can be the next Jersey Surf in two to three years?" I don't know. But, at least at present, the thought of one day being a World Class corps is more inticing than joining DCA or forming a new circuit of their own...so they continue to choose the path laid out for them instead of laying their own path.

Actually, Tom, I don't think that the Open Class corps should apply for DCA membership. However, at the pace that DCI is giving less and less opportunities for the Open Class to compete at larger shows, the concept of Open Class will continue to dwindle until Colt Cadets, Blue Devils B, and Vanguard Cadets are the only ones remaining.

Yes, Jersey Surf, Academy, Blue Stars and Cap Reg have made the jump up to World Class. However, let's look at the results:

Academy - first year bordering on Top-12, second year not even making Semi-finals. The organization is good shape, financially, but perhaps they should have stayed in Open Class for competitive reasons.

Cap Reg - during their World Class run they were alright, but organizationally should never have made the move to World. Subsequently, they were forced to go inactive, and the jury is still out on whether they have fixed the operational problems that led to that inactive status.

Blue Stars - nothing but positive, and getting stronger. A case-study for your argument.

Mandarins - incredible as a D-II & III corps, but have struggled in World Class. Yes, Ray Mar has a good organization, but they've not really made a good transition to World.

PC - another incredible D-II corps that has struggled to find their identity in World Class

Cascades - yes, they're coming back this season, but they never should have made the move to World. It was definitely the reason for the (pardon the pun) Cascade effect that forced them to go inactive.

Jersey Surf - we'll see.

Now...what about:

East Coast Jazz

Blue Saints

HYPE

Marion (I know, I'm opening a Pandora's Box)

Kiwanis

Americanos

...and the list goes on.

DCI's continued apathy towards the Open Class is forcing corps to go World Class prematurely simply because World Class gets money for performing at every show while Open Class is forced to perform in their own division shows for free. What motivation does an Open Class corps have to continue with DCI given this situation?

As for your argument that, "It is proving more and more each year that Open Class corps members are not moving up the ladder to World Class in any great numbers. Many of the members of Open Class prefer the level of competition, rehearsal schedule and dollar committment in the current structure than going to a World Class corps anyway," with the move of World Class to go to 150, this was proven false this past season as more Open Class members, especially brass players, did indeed make the move to World since they now had a better shot at making a spot (as was mentioned by several Open Class directors who indicated that World directors specifically contacted their members, some even after being contracted by the Open Class corps, trying to get them to move up so that the World corps could get their 150).

You know what, YOU need to call Vickers. Get my number, call me, and we can have a meeting. I know those cats down in Indy, and I will go personally down there and see that outfit myself. I can then see these fines, straight from the horses mouth. Dan A. and company would love to see me show up at there offices. It is all open to the public, right? Call me!

Jason

Jason - you might as well call me Mr. Ed, because I'm going to give you the 411...

I sat on the Open Class Advisory committee and dealt with the reviewing of fines that were impossed on corps. The fines exist, and every corps knows this. Yes, Capital Sound will have to pay a fine when they re-apply for membership. Yes, they will probably get a reduced rate, but they will still have to pay. I knew this was a possiblity when I signed the performance contract, as does EVERY CORPS!

(as was mentioned by several Open Class directors who indicated that World directors specifically contacted their members, some even after being contracted by the Open Class corps, trying to get them to move up so that the World corps could get their 150).

I find that part in particular disturbing. Let the cannibalism continue.