Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

I think the better course of action would be, in the interest of both young men AND women, to contact the Cap Sound BoD and work with them to strengthen Capital Sound, rather than try and restart Jr. Scouts.

After serving as Director for Cap Sound the past two years, I know the current Board is actively trying to get the corps back onto solid footing, and the more people that can work with them and support their efforts, the better.

Remember, Capital Sound was created by bringing together Jr. Scouts & Capitolaires in order to strengthen membership, and to focus on developing younger talent. The best thing to do would be to assist with THAT goal/mission, help Capital Sound get back into action, and truly produce a local drum corps that can be a locally-focused organization that flourishes.

Just my 2 cents...

Yo freak, thanks for your 2 cents. It helps. Hope everything is going well in your new adventures. I am sorry to tell you that I have no interest in the Corps proper, not the kids or the organization, just the name. Just how I feel. I will contact the board soon, but I guess I would like to get other feelers out there before I do. This is no short wam bam here it is thing we are doing. But I am having fun seeing who is real around here and who is not. If you think about it, you would figure out what I am really doing. Comon dude we marched together, you know I couldnt use the Capitol Sound name. Think about it, its Jason you are posting to. Someone will figure it out soon. Se ya soon,

Jason

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt use the Capitol Sound name. Think about it, its Jason you are posting to. Someone will figure it out soon. Se ya soon,

Jason

I don't think he is suggesting that we use the Capital Sound name, he is suggesting that we pool our efforts with Capital Sound to help them get going again. While we are in a developmental stage, maybe we should keep all options open. I know that would be different than what we have been discussing, but who knows what the future will bring.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Sounds to me like people starting up a corps who have no business starting up a drum corps.

We have all seen these types of people trying to put a corps together and they either fade away or they come out and are embarrassing. Besides, when people communicate and want to look professional, they should spell correctly!

I went to Capital Sounds website and I read what the BoD wrote. I have two questions.

1. Why would you all have to pay DCI fines if you all reactivate?

2. Why would DCI not wave these fines to help Capital Sound out?

Dean

Great points...DCI has helped out emerging corps in the past like this...if the fines are to DCI. If a show sponsor got stiffed, well, that's another matter. But, I know DCI has rescinded past fines before for re-ermerging corps who reactivate. From speaking to people close to Cap Sound...there are clearly other issues....getting enough volunteers and local members being two chief among them.

Sounds to me like people starting up a corps who have no business starting up a drum corps.

We have all seen these types of people trying to put a corps together and they either fade away or they come out and are embarrassing.

More gratuitous negativity. I ask you, what good will come if this? :lol:

Besides, when people communicate and want to look professional, they should spell correctly!

You mean like George Hopkins?

This is a thread about ideas. George's proposals are full of grammatical errors and many of them are adopted by DCI. Instead of tearing down people who are trying to expand the activity for the betterment of everyone, you could try supporting them, or trying to do it yourself.

Just my opinion.

I went to Capital Sounds website and I read what the BoD wrote. I have two questions.

1. Why would you all have to pay DCI fines if you all reactivate?

2. Why would DCI not wave these fines to help Capital Sound out?

Dean

The fines Capital Sound incurred were because they had signed DCI's participation agreement for the 2008 which is their contract to perform in "X" number of shows. When they went inactive, they broke that agreement, and subsequently were fined for every show they pulled out of (usually $1-2K per show, depending on the level of show). The penalty is only assessed if they petition DCI to return to competition.

DCI - Board of Directors, Dan Acheson, etc. have come right out and said that Open Class is not their concern, focus, or priority. Yes, they work to put Open Class corps on the schedule each year, and provide a minimum amount of support. But, their inclusion into shows continues to dwindle every year. In fact, DCI will probably be excluding Open Class corps from participating in any Majors this year, with the possible exception of a corps that is based in the city where the Major is located (which, essentially will have only Revolution performing at San Antonio), and only then as exhibition.

(note - the above is not opinion, but comes from various folks who attended the September DCI meeting in Vegas.)

With that being said, while DCI has lowered the amount of the fine assessed to corps in the past, they rarely lower it more than 50%. This would would mean that Capital Sound would still have a hefty fine (referencing DCI's 2008 schedule where Cap Sound was in 17 shows (including 2 majors) + DCI Quarterfinals) - probably around $17-18K minus as 50% would be about $9K. Since DCI's apathy towards Open Class, they have no motivation in helping Capital Sound, or any other Open Class corps out.

The fines Capital Sound incurred were because they had signed DCI's participation agreement for the 2008 which is their contract to perform in "X" number of shows. When they went inactive, they broke that agreement, and subsequently were fined for every show they pulled out of (usually $1-2K per show, depending on the level of show). The penalty is only assessed if they petition DCI to return to competition.

DCI - Board of Directors, Dan Acheson, etc. have come right out and said that Open Class is not their concern, focus, or priority. Yes, they work to put Open Class corps on the schedule each year, and provide a minimum amount of support. But, their inclusion into shows continues to dwindle every year. In fact, DCI will probably be excluding Open Class corps from participating in any Majors this year, with the possible exception of a corps that is based in the city where the Major is located (which, essentially will have only Revolution performing at San Antonio), and only then as exhibition.

(note - the above is not opinion, but comes from various folks who attended the September DCI meeting in Vegas.)

With that being said, while DCI has lowered the amount of the fine assessed to corps in the past, they rarely lower it more than 50%. This would would mean that Capital Sound would still have a hefty fine (referencing DCI's 2008 schedule where Cap Sound was in 17 shows (including 2 majors) + DCI Quarterfinals) - probably around $17-18K minus as 50% would be about $9K. Since DCI's apathy towards Open Class, they have no motivation in helping Capital Sound, or any other Open Class corps out.

It's too bad that DCI has no motivation to help Cap Sound, but has motivation to fine them.

It's too bad that DCI has no motivation to help Cap Sound, but has motivation to fine them.

I agree. This is very sad. An Open Class Corps gets paid no money for a Show. Yet DCI will fine the heck out of them if they do not field a corps for that year. Am I misunderstanding something here? Thank you to the ones who answered my questions. I am just trying to understand.

Dean

Close -

DCI will pay an Open Class corps for shows they partcipate in that considered WORLD CLASS SHOWS (Rockford, Toledo, Naperville, etc).

DCI will NOT pay for Open Class ONLY shows (Dubuque's Music on the March 2, Racine Scouts show in Wilmot, Dayton, etc).

The reason for this is that the Open Class shows are charged considerably more by DCI to host. Since Open Class only shows pay a much smaller fee, there is no money to pay corps that attend. Which is why last season many Open Class corps chose to participate in World Class shows instead of Open shows when both were offered on the same day.

Pretty ridiculous...I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Open Class explore moving to DCA - seems that they have a respect for all levels of participants.