Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

As I quickly learned, there are two constants in the current DCI system...

Open Class are the true innovators in the activity. (case and point, look at the number of show coordinators/designers sitting in open class prelims)

Open Class is the whipping boy of the activity

Basically, Open Class exists to clean up the financial mess that DCI makes for itself. Dan Achenson make have run a div II/III corps in his past, but he's completely forgotten about it. The whole office rides the coattails of the Cavaliers, Devils, Cadets, Regiment, and forgets the corps that are keeping them a float.

Will it ever change? Yes, when DCI finally has to fold and another organization steps up and has a successful business model together vs the swiss cheese of a plan they have right now.

Don't blame the down turn of the economy... This has been a problem for YEARS.

And as for the World Class directors offering contracted open class members a spot... at DCM in 1997, I was offered a spot in a div I corps while I was a member of Mirage.

I choose to have some class and honor my contract, but that director had no class...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this has certainly taken a nice turn for the good of Drum Corps. Back to the adventure at hand. You can talk DCA, you can say this should be OPEN Class, Its a non- competitive parade Corps. Thats it - for now - March parades, do standstills, get paid- Help the MADISON SCOUTS- get out of debt. And if my kids get to do it with me - icing on the cake- Last night I played to the 88 show- couldnt finger the opener, but the closer for some reason came naturally. Make His Praise Glorious tonight.

Jason

2009 MADISON SCOUTS RULE!

As I quickly learned, there are two constants in the current DCI system...

Open Class are the true innovators in the activity. (case and point, look at the number of show coordinators/designers sitting in open class prelims)

Open Class is the whipping boy of the activity

Basically, Open Class exists to clean up the financial mess that DCI makes for itself. Dan Achenson make have run a div II/III corps in his past, but he's completely forgotten about it. The whole office rides the coattails of the Cavaliers, Devils, Cadets, Regiment, and forgets the corps that are keeping them a float.

Will it ever change? Yes, when DCI finally has to fold and another organization steps up and has a successful business model together vs the swiss cheese of a plan they have right now.

Don't blame the down turn of the economy... This has been a problem for YEARS.

And as for the World Class directors offering contracted open class members a spot... at DCM in 1997, I was offered a spot in a div I corps while I was a member of Mirage.

I choose to have some class and honor my contract, but that director had no class...

Open Class really suffers from only one thing. Not enough drum corps fans care to even go see Open Class corps perform. That's the chief factor of why everything you say is irrelevent. If, drum corps fans...even 10,000 went to Open Class Prelims or finals..it would matter way more. What is innovation when very few if any people see it?

Madison 2006...I was there...the best darned Open Class show I ever saw...Saturday morning in Camp Randall. 2800 people. I had my pick of seats and had a great time...but, somehow others don't find it an attraction worth even $10 of their money and few hours of their attendance.

What's wrong with Open Class? Apparently, the masses do not want to go and see it.

Madison 2006...I was there...the best darned Open Class show I ever saw...Saturday morning in Camp Randall. 2800 people. I had my pick of seats and had a great time...but, somehow others don't find it an attraction worth even $10 of their money and few hours of their attendance.

I was there myself. Was a great show.

And as far as the original topic: More power to ya man. As long as you're not hurting anyone and can get the kids and funds, the more the merrier. I wish you guys luck.

:tongue:

I was there myself. Was a great show.

And as far as the original topic: More power to ya man. As long as you're not hurting anyone and can get the kids and funds, the more the merrier. I wish you guys luck.

:tongue:

I agree. If you can put drums and bugles and flags and rifles in the hands of kids and teach them good solid basics and get them out there doing local performances...more power.

I remember a Regiment alum doing a similar effort in Janesville a few years back. He hooked up with a local community center who helped with transportation to and from the parades and gave them some rehearsal space. Maybe he's still in the area.

I agree. If you can put drums and bugles and flags and rifles in the hands of kids and teach them good solid basics and get them out there doing local performances...more power.

I remember a Regiment alum doing a similar effort in Janesville a few years back. He hooked up with a local community center who helped with transportation to and from the parades and gave them some rehearsal space. Maybe he's still in the area.

Thank you! I already have everything I need except horns and drums,( and of coarse the players). Its really nice to have a thread that is positive, you all need a pat on the back.

Jason- I have a Camp to get ready for, we have tryouts this weekend - DCI 2009 World Class if you have not noticed has been friken great the last 2 yrs and getting better. Give DCI some credit, at least they are doing something for DRUM CORPS. GO WORLD CLASS.

We are taking a Holiday break, from this whole adventure. As of today we have some members, no equiptment, no name (or at least no annonced name) it will not be the Madison jr. Scouts that I know for sure. People are interested, but putting it together is a chore. More will happen when I find equiptment. G bugles baby! I am a lookin. I thank everyone for there support. It is alot easier to go back and read peoples ideas than having to memorize what people say. I take it all into concideration. Just so you all know that this advenure has been in the process for a very long time, alot of fine tuning has gone into my ideas of how this is going to come off. I will keep you all informed once the meetings start up agian. Last night me and a few bros played to the 2006 alum show, that is fun playing to those dvds. We were really good for 10 practices.

Jason

2009 MADISON SCOUTS RULE!