Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

(Actually, I agree with Tom B - needs to be in Open Class forum, so it's been moved. Thanks! -Mike)

Oh well. At least you didnt bump my thread to DCA, that would of really pi--ed Scott off. Thanks though, we should talk Madison Scouts in World Class anyway. This will do!

Jason

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have started Arena Drum Corps SDCA just for the opportunity to help smaller corps grow, or new corps to start. We have shows planned for 2009. look at our web www.theSDCA.org. This is a great start for small corps to perform and have a big sound. I had been in conversation with Mark about Cap Sound, but he is no longer involved. We will help anyone who takes over the helm. Contact us.

SDCA Staff

you are really sounding a bit desparate.

you are really sounding a bit desparate.

Why do you have to be so negative about everything? What in his post makes it sound "desperate?" Here is yet someone else doing something about getting more people and corps involved and all you can do is shoot him down. Why?

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

parade corps experience to Blue Stars? Wow...I would think an interim step would be necessary.

Considering that's how Wayne Downey (firemen's corps) and Frank Dorritie (cub scouts) broke into the saddle I'm not so sure about that. None of us woke up on a monday morning then suddenly jumped out of bed and became a lead sop or center snare. We all had to start somewhere. If the Scouts are willing to put in the time and effort to develop the younger kids then I'm all for it. :happy:

Edited by Piper

Considering that's how Wayne Downey (firemen's corps) and Frank Dorritie (cub scouts) broke into the saddle I'm not so sure about that. None of us woke up on a monday morning then suddenly jumped out of bed and became a lead sop or center snare. We all had to start somewhere. If the Scouts are willing to put in the time and effort to develop the younger kids then I'm all for it. :happy:

Thank You!

Madison wisconsin is NOT California. There is limited members available. As far as "bemoaning" the loss of corps, I DO. I see trying to start another open class corps in an area that has one open class corps sitting out two years, as a slap in the face. The death blow, so to say. Now if you are talking about turing the jr. Scouts into an all age corps with feeder capability, then go for it. My eleventy bajillion dollar cost is close to right. So all you need is, a director$$$, staff$$$$, uniforms$$$ horns$$$$$$$ drums$$$ keyboards$$$ mics$$$ amps$$$ mixer$$$ SYNTHESIZER$$$$$cook truck$$$$$ staff vehicles$$$$$........members.....volunteers.... seeing a defunct corps comeback, priceless!!!!, seeing another corps keep an existing corps from returning????? If it can be done, GREAT.

Director-Free

staff-players will do- Alums, kids, you!-Free

uniforms-I have a sorta commitment-Free

horns-I have a sorta commitment-Free

Drums-I have a sorta commitment-Free

keyboards-no need

mics-no need

amps- Ill buy them myself

mixer-my brother has one

Synth- no need

cook trk- no need

staff vehicles- own or own cars and carpool- free

members-anyone-girls and guys, young and old-me. 3 on board now, next meeting the 16th I hope to add more-free

Volunteers- Free

Having fun, and trying to do some good for the Corps I love- Priceless

Jason

no offense but this statement (and those with similar attitudes) is part of the reason why support for Open Class suffers, and thus some of those same corps struggle. just because C-A-pital Sound and Southwind were inactive last year (yes i know Cap Sound is inactive for '09 as well) does not mean they are permanently inactive.

You are correct.

So I know I officially resigned from any discussion on the Madison Scouts, but this is the Madison Jr. Scouts, so I'll take a stab.

I really don't think you realize how expensive "Get the instruments, practice some music, put on the unis, go make some money" is.

Let say, for example, you want to buy a new set of battey equipment. For the size group you're hoping for I'll go with 4 snare, 2 tenors, 5 bass drums and 3 sets of cymbals. Just for that, your looking at about $10,000. Now that is new of course. I'm not even going to tell you about pit equipment save that a new xylophone is around $2,500.

You could probably get trumpet players to furnish their own instruments, but that still leaves you with providing mellos, baris and tubas. Lets assume 6 mellos, 9 baris and 6 tubas. You're looking at $8,000 to $10,000. Once again, thats new.

Then we get to uniforms. As a band director who has recently purchased 90 new uniforms for his high school band, I can tell you it is the single largest amount of money I have ever spent at one time short of purchasing my own home. Upwards of $25,000. And I didn't purchase new shakos or plumes. In your case, aussies.

Now, you're probably thinking that you might be able to get some area band directors to donate you thier instruments, and equipment and such, but I have found that most band directors are very unwilling to do so. Insurance, wear and tear, etc. Maybe you experience will be different.

You could try to have everybody provide their own instrument but then you never know what you might get. Plus you wouldn't look like a group that takes itself seriously. Same thing on the uniform side. If you don't look good, people will think your group looks bad.

I'm not trying to talk you out of what it sounds like you're going to attempt. Best of luck to you. I just don't think you realize how truly expensive it's going to be.

My final thought is that you need to decide what kind of group this is going to be. A cadet corps? An alumni corps? You've talk both ways. To me this sounds like a rag-tag bunch of Madison alums and thier kids. I just don't think you're going to be taken seriously. If you do this, I want you to look and sound like a drum corps. Not a poorly organized community band that happens to half-###ed-ly play Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Rememberance and Malaguenea.

Who knows, maybe your thoughts and ideas in person are more clear than your thoughts and ideas on the internet.

My thoughts and ideas are better in person, I am not very good at this yet. I am working on it. Cost will be my problem to deal with and the plan is moving along quite well. Who knows what this will become, we have only had one meeting with 3 people. If it works great. If it does not, at least we tried.

Jason