Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

after re-reading the original quoted text i realized what is wrong...just read it (i kinda skimmed through the second half my first time through)....there's no way that is serious talk. "DCI will love it," setting up mini-corps as "pods?" there's no way this is a serious idea. just the floating gibberish of yet another DCP poster (i've had many myself)

Well sir, I think you are wrong. I thought it was a great idea for the future.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still say to work with cap sound on this one its a good idea. I think that if this was to happen then Work with what you have in the area. Cap sound was once apart of Madison Scouts too, until they were cut in 2004. I am Facing the Same deal with the Americanos. Do I let the Organization tank? Or do I try to find people willing to take over the entire organization? Wisconsin has lost alot of great corps, and there are a couple of them still hanging on. To try and save time and money work with one that still has an organization together.

This is part of the plan. And we are.

Is mentioning the name Scott Stewart some how a bad thing? You seem to go out of your way to not mention his name. Regardless of where one falls in their opinions of his past leadership direction, the results of his tenure speak for themselves for each one of those Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association corps. Things have been far from the same since then, so with history behind us now, (IMO) at least give open credit where credit is due.

Anyway... I am in complete support of any effort to get kids playing and marching. Obviously, your ideas in this format fall far short of a detailed and realistic business plan for this proposed group, but I don't know how anyone could expect you to present a formal proposal within this thread. However, your enthusiasm is appreciated.

I think it only fair that you at least acknowledge that the breakup of the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association (Scouts, Cap Sound, Southwind) understandably left a bad taste in the mouths of many. All three have separately struggled to stay alive since then, with at least one (Cap Sound) still trying to make a go of it. To say this proposed group would have no affect on that organization, and somehow see it as a "win" for them is seemingly insensitive in the least, or maybe it simply shows a lack of understanding of their struggles on your part. Nonetheless, I really wish you the best of luck and success.

Nope, not at all. Out of respect and not talking to him yet, its not my place to thow his name on this site. Incinuate yes, throw him to the wolves no. He was my director for 6 yrs, and a man I have and always will look up to. Go KILTIES! I wouldnt do that to the other 4 either. I know them all well.

To acknowledge the breakup of the Association- Bad memories (were you there) mabye that will be the next story in the EMOTION thread. That was a bad bad day. If you know anything about me, you know that SOUTHWIND is very close to this family, my brother-in-law is the director, CAPITOL SOUND I have always been a fan.

Thanks for the well wishes,

Jason

Assuming that you're talking about a cadet corps, it would probably have to be all-male unless you get the Scouts to change their policy, otherwise there's really no point in it. Girls aren't going to put the work into a cadet corps if they know they can't climb any higher in the organization.

Then agian, mabye they would. SOUTHWIND come to mind.

We have started Arena Drum Corps SDCA just for the opportunity to help smaller corps grow, or new corps to start. We have shows planned for 2009. look at our web www.theSDCA.org. This is a great start for small corps to perform and have a big sound. I had been in conversation with Mark about Cap Sound, but he is no longer involved. We will help anyone who takes over the helm. Contact us.

SDCA Staff

We will be in touch soon. Let us get a few more meetings under the belt 1st. Cant rush this. You are on Daves to do list.

Jason

Since Cap Sound has given its blessing, who gives a bleep what you think.

We are talking about a parade and standstill corps for now. No touring. No competing. If Cap Sound wants to make a go of it, they get their equipment back. They just say the word. We have a potential director, a couple possible instructors, volunteers, won't be using amps, mixers or synthesizers. From my understanding we have horns, uniforms and probably drums. We don't need vehicles as we will be local and kids will show up at the show/parade sites. So EVERYTHING you moan about is a non factor. In the mean time, while you moan about and harrass those who are trying to do something, what are you doing?

I tell my students at work that,everything matters, so I give a bleep what you think. I am trying to not be condesending when I post and let me tell you it is hard to do. But agian, everything matters.

Jason

I have received a couple of messages from people associated with Capital Sound expressing their concern about trying to come back with MJS being active. Potentially, it could create competition for membership. Although we have kicked around the idea of inviting alums to play, the target group we have discussed is middle school aged kids. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that Cap Sound's membership is typically older than that. That being the case, we could be potentially feeding Cap Sound as well as the Scouts. I will say publicly, on this forum, that we never deliberately set out to disrespect or kill off Capital Sound. If this project ever takes that turn, I will leave it. I want to see the activity grow and prosper. I invite Cap Sound people to PM me with their thoughts. I promise to respond respectfully and to bring them up at our meetings.

The classy side of you is much more appealing than the angry side. You're much like me, passionate to a fault. I can tell by your long, detailed posts. I commend you for your efforts in this endeavor as well as your taking time to acknowledge your sensitivity to Cap Sound. The first step to realizing a dream is to believe in it, even if others don't. Keep working my friend, one never knows what could come of it. :happy:

WOW, I was accused of taking a nasty pill before but you just outdid anything I have ever done. You ask what am I doing. I WAS going to give of my time to volunteer for your alma mater, but you just left a pretty poor representation of what that would be like. Did Madison teach all alumns to speak like ticked off rattlesnakes, or did you come up with that all your own? I do not have any problem with you or anyone else coming up with another "feeder" corps, or a brand new world corps, I DO NOT CARE. You look back and tell me where you or anyone else stated exactly what this corps was about or going to do. The question was posed, what would it take. Sorry the answer didn't suit you. Good luck with your activity, with your personality, you are really going to need it. I hope you aren't the spokesperson. Sorry Thirdcoast, I won't be joining you at any of the camps, your "brother" just sealed that deal. What am I doing...............
Agian, I give a bleep! And now you are owed a beer, Dave! If hes old enough, we now have an expence. We owe him a beer.

Sorry man, hope to meet you sometime, shake a hand, drink a beer. Ill be at camp in Dec.

Jason

Classless acts and the Madison Scouts? Never... just like how members of the modern day corps have never stolen anything off of any other corps equipment trucks in the recent past. Anyway, although I am presenting a dig on the Madison Scouts right now, I really don't mean to make this whole post that...

When presenting ideas to the public, and asking for help for something you seriously want done, it should look professional and be constructed very well with decent English. this is taught across the nation in public schools. Honestly, when I saw the original post, I had no idea what was trying to be said. I got the main jist though. But if you want advice, you have to be really clear in ONE post, hopefully the OP. This thread started off shaky.

Now all the personal insults back and forth, tisk tisk tisk.. but it happens, you all just need to calm down a bit, have a couple of beers, we will all be friends again.

On the topic of this thread... its a good idea. And it isn't a slap to CS if CS doesn't feel like it is. Just play nice kiddies.

This came out of nowhere. Cant live in the past, my man. Always looking forward.

Southwind and Capital Sound couldn't help the Scouts organization. Why would starting another corps help them out financially?

How about this idea....Alumni...pay your freakin' dues. That will do more to help the Scouts than embarking in any parade corps fantasy.

When the org can't even fund the current corps to a successful level year in and out, and you two want to start yet another corps entity. Talk about eye off the ball.

Again, I feel the thread isn't about the Scouts at all. It's about a half baked idea that has zero legs. A parade corps as a fund raising entity. What are they putting in the water back there? Check the chlorine...or the flouride or something. You all got a bad batch.

I paid mine, I know you paid yours and you didnt even march. Big problem we are working on. This is a very condisending post coming from you. I would have expected better from you.

Thanks for all the support last year to the Corps,

Jason