Original music written by Richard Saucedo*

Original music written by Jay Bocook*

Original music written by Michael Sweeney*

Original music written by Paul Lavender*

Music from "Riverdance"

Music from Pirates of the Caribbean

Music from the movie "Transformers"

Music from the movie "Titanic"

Cirque de Soeil." They will usually grant rights. Advance permission must be proven.

Music of John Mayer - takes extra approval time

Sam Hazo

As far as drum corps goes, I'm fine with all of these never hitting the field.

I'd never even HEARD of Chuck Mangione until BD captured the World Open title back in 75'. They gave that guy a boost and a half.

Chuck probably never heard of you either................

Early life and career

Born and raised in Rochester, New York, Mangione and his pianist brother Gap led the Jazz Brothers group which recorded three albums for Riverside Records. He attended the Eastman School of Music from 1958 to 1963, and afterwards joined Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, for which he filled the trumpet seat, previously held by greats such as Clifford Brown, Kenny Dorham, Bill Hardman, and Lee Morgan.[2]

In the late sixties, Mangione was a member of the band The National Gallery, which in 1968 released the album Performing Musical Interpretations of the Paintings of Paul Klee.[3] Mangione served as director of the Eastman jazz ensemble from 1968 to 1972, and in 1970, he returned to recording with the album Friends and Love, recorded in concert with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra and numerous guest performers.[4]

Mangione's quartet with saxophonist Gerry Niewood was a popular concert and recording act throughout the 1970s. "Bellavia," recorded during this collaboration, won Mangione his first Grammy Award in 1977 in the category Best Instrumental Composition.[5]

Mangione's composition "Chase the Clouds Away" was used at the 1976 Summer Olympics, held in Montreal, Quebec, with a later composition, "Give It All You Got," being used as the theme to the 1980 Winter Olympic Games, held in Lake Placid, New York. He performed it live at the closing ceremonies, which were televised globally.[6] In 1978 Mangione composed the soundtrack for the film "The Children of Sanchez" starring Anthony Quinn. This album won him his second Grammy, in the category Best Pop Instrumental performance in 1979 and the title song, almost 15 minutes long in full version and featuring one of the most recognizable wind section themes, has not lost its popularity to this day.

In addition to his quartet with Niewood, Mangione also had much success with his later-‘70s ensemble, including Mangione on flugelhorn and keyboard, Chris Vadala on saxophones and flutes, Grant Geissman on guitars, Charles Meeks on bass and James Bradley, Jr. on drums. This version of Mangione’s band recorded and toured behind the hit studio albums “Feels So Good” and “Fun and Games,” as well as the “Children of Sanchez” film soundtrack recordings, and were some of the musicians that played on various songs as part of Mangione's 1980 “Tarantella" benefit concert.

The band was also featured, along with a 70-piece orchestra, on the live album “An Evening of Magic,” which was recorded at the Hollywood Bowl on July 16, 1978, at the height of Mangione’s success from “Feels So Good.” Performances of material new and old included versions of “Main Squeeze,” “Hill Where the Lord Hides” and “Chase the Clouds Away.” Mangione opened and closed the show with “Feels So Good” and its “Reprise” version. “B’Bye” featured a string arrangement from Bill Reichenbach. The horns were arranged by frequent collaborator Jeff Tkyzik, who also played trumpet in the horn section that night. Mangione also played material from the just-released “Children of Sanchez” soundtrack album, which made its West Coast concert debut.

The liner notes from the album describe the frenzy in which the performance was put together. Unable to set up on stage the day before (The Los Angeles Philharmonic played the “1812 Overture” on July 15), Mangione and his crew had only the day of show to set up lights, sound and recording gear. He had only nine hours the day before to rehearse at A&M studios with the orchestra's musicians and was never able to run through the entire set list once in its entirety. He and the band stayed at a hotel up the street from the Bowl to make sure they wouldn't miss the performance due to snarled traffic pouring in as showtime neared.

Nevertheless, the show went off without a hitch and was captured without incident.

In December 1980, Mangione held a benefit concert in the American Hotel Ballroom in Rochester to benefit the victims of an earthquake in Italy. The nine-hour concert included jazz luminaries such as Chick Corea, Steve Gadd and Dizzie Gillespie, among a host of other session and concert greats. “Tarantella,” named for the Italian traditional dance, a vinyl album of some of the show’s exceptional moments was released soon thereafter, but has yet to resurface on CD.

A 1980 issue of Current Biography called "Feels So Good" the most recognized tune since "Michelle" by The Beatles. Recently, smooth jazz stations throughout the United States have recognized Mangione's "Feels So Good" as their all-time number one song.[7] He raised over $50,000 for St. John's Nursing Home at his 60th Birthday Bash Concert, held at Rochester's Eastman Theatre and played a few bars of "Feels So Good.[8]

Early life and career

Born and raised in Rochester, New York, Mangione and his pianist brother Gap led the Jazz Brothers group which recorded three albums for Riverside Records. He attended the Eastman School of Music from 1958 to 1963, and afterwards joined Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, for which he filled the trumpet seat, previously held by greats such as Clifford Brown, Kenny Dorham, Bill Hardman, and Lee Morgan.[2]

In the late sixties, Mangione was a member of the band The National Gallery, which in 1968 released the album Performing Musical Interpretations of the Paintings of Paul Klee.[3] Mangione served as director of the Eastman jazz ensemble from 1968 to 1972, and in 1970, he returned to recording with the album Friends and Love, recorded in concert with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra and numerous guest performers.[4]

Mangione's quartet with saxophonist Gerry Niewood was a popular concert and recording act throughout the 1970s. "Bellavia," recorded during this collaboration, won Mangione his first Grammy Award in 1977 in the category Best Instrumental Composition.[5]

Mangione's composition "Chase the Clouds Away" was used at the 1976 Summer Olympics, held in Montreal, Quebec, with a later composition, "Give It All You Got," being used as the theme to the 1980 Winter Olympic Games, held in Lake Placid, New York. He performed it live at the closing ceremonies, which were televised globally.[6] In 1978 Mangione composed the soundtrack for the film "The Children of Sanchez" starring Anthony Quinn. This album won him his second Grammy, in the category Best Pop Instrumental performance in 1979 and the title song, almost 15 minutes long in full version and featuring one of the most recognizable wind section themes, has not lost its popularity to this day.

In addition to his quartet with Niewood, Mangione also had much success with his later-‘70s ensemble, including Mangione on flugelhorn and keyboard, Chris Vadala on saxophones and flutes, Grant Geissman on guitars, Charles Meeks on bass and James Bradley, Jr. on drums. This version of Mangione’s band recorded and toured behind the hit studio albums “Feels So Good” and “Fun and Games,” as well as the “Children of Sanchez” film soundtrack recordings, and were some of the musicians that played on various songs as part of Mangione's 1980 “Tarantella" benefit concert.

The band was also featured, along with a 70-piece orchestra, on the live album “An Evening of Magic,” which was recorded at the Hollywood Bowl on July 16, 1978, at the height of Mangione’s success from “Feels So Good.” Performances of material new and old included versions of “Main Squeeze,” “Hill Where the Lord Hides” and “Chase the Clouds Away.” Mangione opened and closed the show with “Feels So Good” and its “Reprise” version. “B’Bye” featured a string arrangement from Bill Reichenbach. The horns were arranged by frequent collaborator Jeff Tkyzik, who also played trumpet in the horn section that night. Mangione also played material from the just-released “Children of Sanchez” soundtrack album, which made its West Coast concert debut.

The liner notes from the album describe the frenzy in which the performance was put together. Unable to set up on stage the day before (The Los Angeles Philharmonic played the “1812 Overture” on July 15), Mangione and his crew had only the day of show to set up lights, sound and recording gear. He had only nine hours the day before to rehearse at A&M studios with the orchestra's musicians and was never able to run through the entire set list once in its entirety. He and the band stayed at a hotel up the street from the Bowl to make sure they wouldn't miss the performance due to snarled traffic pouring in as showtime neared.

Nevertheless, the show went off without a hitch and was captured without incident.

In December 1980, Mangione held a benefit concert in the American Hotel Ballroom in Rochester to benefit the victims of an earthquake in Italy. The nine-hour concert included jazz luminaries such as Chick Corea, Steve Gadd and Dizzie Gillespie, among a host of other session and concert greats. “Tarantella,” named for the Italian traditional dance, a vinyl album of some of the show’s exceptional moments was released soon thereafter, but has yet to resurface on CD.

A 1980 issue of Current Biography called "Feels So Good" the most recognized tune since "Michelle" by The Beatles. Recently, smooth jazz stations throughout the United States have recognized Mangione's "Feels So Good" as their all-time number one song.[7] He raised over $50,000 for St. John's Nursing Home at his 60th Birthday Bash Concert, held at Rochester's Eastman Theatre and played a few bars of "Feels So Good.[8]

This is all very nice, but you failed to included his performance at the grand opening of the MegaLow Mart in Arlen, TX in the late 90's. :satisfied:

I'd never even HEARD of Chuck Mangione until BD captured the World Open title back in 75'. They gave that guy a boost and a half.

Ya all that play he got on the radio in 72 and 73 probably didn't help as much as DCI did! LOL

Gosh do I HATE that tune! IMO the worst Mangione tune of all. Back in 78 I arranged it for my marching band during the heyday of using Mangione on the field. By the end of band camp I never wanted to hear that tune again...and I still had 3 months to go!

:satisfied:

I understand those. I personally asked Mr. Holsinger (while I was working the TRN Music booth at a convention with him) about that, and he told me that particular movement was just too personal for him, written as it was about Christ's crucifixion.

If I remember correctly from the program notes, the Barnes symphony (subtitled "The Tragic") was written in memory of his deceased child.

RE: Barnes Symphony: Yes, the slow movement was written for his deceased child, while the last movement was written in honor of his newborn son.

Who says no to a youth organization that encourages music education?? That's just insane.

Arrogant composers who really don't care about anything else except how they want their music to be heard.

Well, to be honest, and a little blunt (no, not the smoking kind), in recent years there have been more than a few drumcorps that have absolutely BUTCHERED some composer's works. I feel comfortable saying that because I was involved with teaching two different corps that either didn't like what we did, or that I hope never got to hear how their piece mutated radically during the season. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank Tichelli's music was on the "Don't bother to even ask" list, given what one corps I worked with did to "Blue Shades". I wasn't embarrassed by the kid's performance, but by what a certain person did, supposedly for "cleaning purposes" or "GE purposes". Interestingly enough, this same person is responsible for the ultra-strict rules that the people who handle Bernstein's music have for marching bands and drumcorps asking for copyright permission.

As for Steven Melillo and "Stormworks", I worked with a corps that used that piece as an opener, with his permission. He simply just didn't like what was done with it, but it was hardly what I would call butchered, and I don't think he would either, but something about it he just didn't like. It may have been that he would have preferred to do the arrangement himself, as opposed to our arranger at the time. Believe it or not, and I cannot remember the corps, but he was (if not still is) the arranger/composer for one of the DCA corps.

And, let's face it, there are a lot of things that are wonderful pieces of music, but just don't translate well to drumcorps instrumentation and format. Say, like John Cage's 4'33", or Phillip Glass' "Einstein on the Beach" (a full "opera" where each movement is over 15 minutes long), or the soundtrack to the movie "Forbidden Planet"...

And, one that you wouldn't think would translate all that well that I thought was bad ### and enjoyed immensely, and sorry I can't remember the year, but the Velvet Knight's arrangement of Alice Cooper's "School's Out"! :satisfied:

This is all very nice, but you failed to included his performance at the grand opening of the MegaLow Mart in Arlen, TX in the late 90's. :satisfied:

Feels so Good!

Have a 2 album set of CM at the Hollywood Bowl but don't remember "Feels So Good" on it. Then again I played the crap out of "Hill" and "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor" and ignored the rest pretty much. :tongue: Look once in a while but haven't seen this on CD.

Also have the benefit concert set (again 2 albums) which is a mixed bag. Dizzy was excellent and Corea was right behind, but "Tarentella"???

Senior corps knew Chuck early also (more how I got to know his music). Buccs played "Bellevia" as a closer in 1976 and Rochester Phoenix did "Land of Make Believe" in 1975 (ueah before B-men) and "Legend" in 1976 as concert numbers.

Edit (cuz I just remembered :satisfied: ): Buccs playing "El Gato Triste" (The Sad Cat) while Cabs members are in the stands.

Cab #1: What song is this?

Cab #2: "El Gato Triste".... means "Who Tripped Over the Cat?"

Edited by JimF-LowBari