Matched Grip Revolution of the 1970s/80s

pearlsnaredrummer77

Being from Western Pennsylvania, for a long time from the late 1970s-80s, most local programs played snare with a matched grip. From what I've heard (it was a bit before my time) the Finleyville Royal Crusaders (and Santa Clara) were one of the first corps to use the matched grip in the mid-1970s. I recall the 27th Lancers using matched grip at times as well. I also know that the General Butler Vagabonds used this grip (we played matched in 83-85), as did the University of Pittsburgh and most high school programs in the region during the early to mid-1980s. What were the origins of this movement, and what caused it's demise? Was this just a regional thing or was it more widespread? (I'm actually more interested in the history rather than the traditional is better than matched is better than traditional thing.)

If I remember correctly the Argonne Rebels used it back in 76'. I was in a line that used it one year too under the old tick system. We only got hit 5 times, but the perc judge trashed us for it specifically for that reason, and it cost us a local circuit title. I would shun match grip like the bubonic plaugue. I can't think of any snare line that's had any success with it.

Actually, Santa Clara had considerable success with matched grip. Finleyville was in finals in 75 and doing well until their collapse in 80. GBV during the 70s was one of the best Class A corps. Anyhow, according to this website I found (see below), Rob Carson (won snare individuals multiple times) was instrumental in the "matched grip revolution." As I recall, the Promark DC10 was especially suitable for matched grip. I know that's what we used in the 80s.

"In 1977 a phenomenal snare drummer named Rob Carson who had previously marched in the Santa Clara Vanguard snare line made the leap into the future by switching the snare line he both instructed and played in to matched grip. It was a pioneering decision. In 1978 the Santa Clara Vanguard won the DCI (drum corps international) competition. In 1979 the drum line, including tenors, basses and tympani, had reached a level of excellence that had never before been witnessed. In 1980 the corps experienced catastrophic inner politics that brought it to its knees and while the 1980 drum line remained state-of-the-art, the corps ranked low in the international standing.

Nonetheless the Santa Clara Vanguard drum line had pioneered the use of matched grip for snare drumming for all time to come, or so it seemed. In truth the very next year, lead by a new instructor whom himself was not fully comfortable with matched grip for snare drumming, the SCV snare line de-evolved back to the use of the traditional grip from revolutionary war times. The drum corps snare drumming world, to the amazement of many, remains largely committed to this archaic and unnatural technique even though other sections of the drumline; basses, tenors and tympani as well as keyboard percussion, had always used matched."

Source: http://www.fraughtwithperil.com/blogs/revg...es/2004_11.html

I know that I may ruffle some feathers, but I'm going to say it anyway. Some will say that the reason for the switch back to traditional grip was because it was a "gimmick" and "looked cool". Please note that I am not saying I agree with that, that's just what some other people have said on DCP before.

Edited by sday88

I think it is equal parts visual preference and the "this is how we always did it" attitude.

Personally I prefer the look of a snare line playing with traditional grip, but I do believe the only reason for is is aesthetic.

Yeah, it seems to mainly have been an aesthetic change back. But for awhile, I suppose between 75-85 seeing a matched grip line was not unusual. Any other lines confirmed as matched during the era?

I think it is equal parts visual preference and the "this is how we always did it" attitude.

Personally I prefer the look of a snare line playing with traditional grip, but I do believe the only reason for is is aesthetic.

Other than the mistake of putting the drumline in those towering shakos, the only other one I could think of was going to match grip for a few charts in 1978, and then completely in 1979. I didn't care for match grip, and I'll agree with Adam and say it was really only because I just didn't like the way it looked. However, both styles of playing do require a specific and totally different discipline in approach to the head from the left hand perspective, and neither is really "easy" to do well.

1979 Guardsmen:

guardsmen79rifletoss.jpg

1982 Santa Clara Vanguard:

CASantaClaraVanguard1982.jpg

1979 27th Lancers (but I think they only played matched for the drum solo):

1979-27thLancers3.jpg

Other than the mistake of putting the drumline in those towering shakos, the only other one I could think of was going to match grip for a few charts in 1978, and then completely in 1979. I didn't care for match grip, and I'll agree with Adam and say it was really only because I just didn't like the way it looked. However, both styles of playing do require a specific and totally different discipline in approach to the head from the left hand perspective, and neither is really "easy" to do well.

1979 Guardsmen:

guardsmen79rifletoss.jpg

1982 Santa Clara Vanguard:

CASantaClaraVanguard1982.jpg

1979 27th Lancers (but I think they only played matched for the drum solo):

No, we played matched grip for both 79 and 80 full seasons. I personally hated it, but we did it to be in with the groove that was happening back then.

1979-27thLancers3.jpg

I remember discussing Santa Clara's change back to traditional grip with their drum staff in the early '80s, and was told that trad grip made sticking issues easier to see in the mirrors, which was a big factor in their decision to change back. We continued to use matched in the SCV "B" Corps until I left after the'86 season.