Horn Flush Question

stein456

Has anyone ever used , don't laugh......."EFFORDENT" or any other type of denture cleaner to soak/ clean the inside of your horn?

Seems funny at first, however loosening matter and rendering a surface somewhat hygienic for it's primary intent is the same issues a brass player would have with their instrument.

Including a regular flush, after a soak with mild soap in luke warm water, personally, I huff some Listerine through the lead pipe before I play. Now, I'm aware of the dry cork, pads and plating, finishing issues here. Seems to me however, that mositure in an inclosed area (tubing) then even further enclosing our instruments in a case with little and uncirculated air, is fertile ground for mold spore's and other unhygienic issues.

Is anyone aware of any studies done regarding this matter? stein

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to try hydrogen peroxide on an old horn. This stuff I use cleaning around chrome plated faucets to remove soap scum buildup and mold and it works great. It just fizzles for a bit, then I rinse it off, so why not inside the horn, and its cheap. Your dental hygienist will appreciate it, too!

It has also been suggested to use a few drops of this stuff in your ears when they itch or to kill infections. The end result being that I could hear what the brass instructor is saying for a change.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Who stole the kiezka?

There was a guy I marched with who joined his contra in the hot tub. After he took the horn out, he didn't dry it all out properly and the chlorine had a nasty effect on the silver, where it left a nasty rash all over the surface of the horn. We tried polishing it out, but most of it wouldn't come off.....

There was a guy I marched with who joined his contra in the hot tub. After he took the horn out, he didn't dry it all out properly and the chlorine had a nasty effect on the silver, where it left a nasty rash all over the surface of the horn. We tried polishing it out, but most of it wouldn't come off.....

I can only imagine what the chlorine did to his body and mind!!! The hydrogen peroxide worked very well removing many "inhabitants" within and so, the same procedure was used on the corp horn and that went very well. Did not have any affect on the finish either. Let the HP remain inside for a few minutes and flush. Gives a new meaning to playing clean. DA will aprreciate that!

Who stole the kiezka?

Do you really think rinsing out that old sop will help TF?

Enjoy your session with HS on Saturday.

PS, can I have the gunk you rinse out of your horn?

A clean horn does not mean you will play clean notes.

DA

A clean horn does not mean you will play clean notes.

DA

Buffing your horn while playing it will produce an outstanding vibrato! :rolleyes: