Question

Hey I have only been around a few years and I am just wondering.

Has there ever been a Div 1,2,3 corps out of virginia? It just seems like I have never heard of any corps to ever be here.

I only ask because me and many other virginians have had to travel far and wide to get to any corps to march in a summer.

Hey I have only been around a few years and I am just wondering.

Has there ever been a Div 1,2,3 corps out of virginia? It just seems like I have never heard of any corps to ever be here.

I only ask because me and many other virginians have had to travel far and wide to get to any corps to march in a summer.

Although there is no DCI corps in Virginia there is a DCA Corps, Shenandoah Sound out of Manassas Park Virginia. As luck would have it we have an open house coming up on December 6th. Please see the tread

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...=119677&hl=

Many wonderful things are in store for the next year and beyond so come check us out and march. DCA gives you the opportunity to march in a Corps without the weeks of travel and scary as it may seem ( not knowing your age ) playing with some older folks ( sorry more seasoned :rolleyes: )

who have been around for a while and may have played with one of those corps you like. That and it will get you in the mindset if you want to try out for a DCI Corps in a year or 2, as we have several youth members going that route.

Hope to see you on the 6th.

Has there ever been a Div 1,2,3 corps out of virginia?

corpsreps.com is your friend...in this case they list only 3 junior corps to ever call VA home:

Centurymen from Richmond

Virginia Lancers from Winchester

Young Americans from Newport News/Hampton

info is bare at best, but all three were formed and active in the 1960s. with the Young Americans listing repetoires from 1966-1972, they seem to be the closest to the DCI era, but it doesn't seem they participated in DCI

I know the feeling. Even back when I marched, there were no drum corps in VA and Crossmen (at the time) was the closes to me.

Now back in the mid '70s many attempts were made to establish a junior corps in the Va. Beach area. There was more than enough interest, the problem was starting from nothing with no sponsors.

That problem still exist today.....there are tons of kids who travel out of state to get their drum corps fix.

corpsreps.com is your friend...in this case they list only 3 junior corps to ever call VA home:

Centurymen from Richmond

Virginia Lancers from Winchester

Young Americans from Newport News/Hampton

info is bare at best, but all three were formed and active in the 1960s. with the Young Americans listing repetoires from 1966-1972, they seem to be the closest to the DCI era, but it doesn't seem they participated in DCI

www.dbcna.com (Drum & Bugle Corps of North America) has about the same info but includes some real early corps. Amazing VA has had so few corps over the years, even Washington, DC outnumbered what VA had.

The most active of the DCI era corps from VA was the Cardinals, from Sterling/Fairfax. They were on the field through the 1977 season.

There have been many corps that came out of VA over the decades. One of the most decorated was the Bluefield corps, which often competed at national championships back in the 1950s.

I second this :D I'm from Southern Virginia and I'm traveling 5 hours this weekend for Crown's Guard but hey hopefully it won't be a waste of gas ;P But I agree. Some corps should start holding auditions in states that don't have drum corps cuz I'm sure they would find ALOT of talent

Actually a corps is doing that. Memphis Sound is holding a Satellite Audition in Richmond, VA in December. Details coming soon

GREAT MOVE by Memphis Sound.

Virginia has a lot of quality high school band programs, and some colleges with really big music schools.

I know there are members from Virginia in Cadets, Crown, Crossmen, Blue Stars, and Bluecoats, off the top of my head.

Also, www.manydc.org (youth performing arts group) is trying to start a drum corps... they made an announcement about it at the Warrenton show last summer. Currently they have a winter guard, I believe

Actually a corps is doing that. Memphis Sound is holding a Satellite Audition in Richmond, VA in December. Details coming soon

Great spot too, one of the few major VA areas served by both east-west (I-64) and north-south (I-95)Interstates without being in the Washington, DC area. And if you're coming in north Of Wash, DC there are ways around the DC beltway. (PM me if you're interested, but haven't tried it in a few years.)

s/ Guy who saw a lot of the Richmond beltway driving the Harrisburg, PA/Norfolk, VA route for work.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari