What should I show to non-marching musicians?

37 members have voted

1. 1. What 2008 Open Class show should I show to a Music Theory class for both education and entertainment?

• Vanguard Cadets
    • Blue Devils B
    • Jersey Surf
    • Oregon Crusaders
    • Teal Sound
    • Citations
    • Spokane Thunder
    • Revolution
    • Raiders
    • Dutch Boy
    • Memphis Sound
    • Yamato
    • Beatrix

When making your decision(s), please take into account:

*The class consists of myself, 3 choir girls, a rock drummer, and a guitarist. Also the teacher is a choir person. None of them are familiar with the instruments we use (though the drummer knows traditional grip).

*Originality of music, like custom over arranged and fresh over overused. These people will be analyzing the music.

*Entertainment level of drill/visual. This project serves a double purpose to show them what drum corps is, and I want to make the best impression possible.

Don't let these factors determine your decision:

*I MAY have marched in one of these corps.

*YOU may have marched in one of these corps.

*Score or size, all the shows were good in their own way.

*No opinions about showing World Class, I don't have any of those DVDs.

Please be honest and let me know why you chose your answers. You can choose more than one. Thanks! :)

Edited by MetalTones2012

You may want to consider Memphis Sound. The reason I say this...if this is a choir class....the show last year was based on vocal pieces that were arranged for brass. We used Voice Dance and Ode to Joy. Both these pieces are standard choral pieces therefore the people in your class...including the teacher...will be able to relate a little bit more to the music.

Hope this helps.

I ended up showing them Jersey Surf since they like Fall Out Boy. I was right in thinking that drum corps wasn't really their style, but they did like the fact that they used Fall Out Boy and one of them also liked Peter Gabriel and Moulin Rouge. :smile: Well, all the rap and light rock they've been using for their presentations hasn't been my style, so there!

However, my teacher (who's a total #####) had some kind of a fit because they were focusing more on the visual part than the actual music, so I can't show my DVDs in that class ever again. :tongue:

Edited by MetalTones2012