Do you "dut"?

RickCogley

Hi -

Here I go again on the brass forum - I'm curious, though. Do brass players say "dut?" This seems to be pretty prevalent among drummers these days (heard a lot of it on lot vids and tapes from last season) but I cannot say I have ever heard a hornline doing it.

When I was marching snare, oh, AGES and AGES ago, we were told not to say "dut" all the time since it was distracting. If our timing was off, the section leader would do it for about a bar to get the pulse going again, but mostly the instructors told us - use your feet.

How about it, brass players? Ever do it? Does it distract you when drummers do it?

Regards

Rick

The only time ive ever done it in the hornline was at opening set where there were 5 blocks on the field.  ANd they were staged so that some people in the back blocks couldnt see the DM count off, so one person in each of those blocks "dutted" softly.

The only time ive ever done it in the hornline was at opening set where there were 5 blocks on the field.  ANd they were staged so that some people in the back blocks couldnt see the DM count off, so one person in each of those blocks "dutted" softly.

Interesting... that makes sense, to do it in such a situation where phasing is an issue. I had to laugh hearing the dutting on the vicfirth percussion vids -- sheesh, it was almost violent, too intense and deliberate.

Later

Rick

I agree, dutting sucks.  If it was that hard to stay together then maybe the hornlines should bop the whole show.  It's the silence between phrases that makes the music, dont screw it up with dutting snare lines and dropping riffles:)

Dugada

Hornplayers don't dut we dahh. Plus if you can't fiqure out how your DM is conducting then it is time for a new DM,

Rick, I've been on both sides of the field. I marched Drums in HS, and I march Euph in corps. As Drum Capt at my HS I had to DUT constantly.... not only for my line, but FOR the Wind players as well.... And lemme tell you, I am one loud Chick when it comes to DUTting. I have videos of me louder than the Brass line. LOL... But If I wasn't as loud, then the band did kind of not watch the DM or follow either. So I guess Dutting really isn't a distracting thing in some cases.