1992 Crossmen

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

ah 8/2 so 13 days. thanks. i forgot there used to be an extra week between allentown and finals

I first posted in this thread when you posted a video of the Crossmens percussion section with CP comments at Madison during Finals nights.  I would not know if the guy with a large head and dark hair is Charlie.  Allentown was not involved and there's no results for 8-2 if there was a show at A-Town.  Recaps were taken off the From The Pressbox site.  The recaps for 7-18 in Boston do not list any judges names.   I can't find Charlie as a field percussion judge anywhere on FTP.  Maybe it's listed on another source.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I first posted in this thread when you posted a video of the Crossmens percussion section with CP comments at Madison during Finals nights.  I would not know if the guy with a large head and dark hair is Charlie.  Allentown was not involved and there's no results for 8-2 if there was a show at A-Town.  Recaps were taken off the From The Pressbox site.  The recaps for 7-18 in Boston do not list any judges names.   I can't find Charlie as a field percussion judge anywhere on FTP.  Maybe it's listed on another source.

the vid is one of the days in Madison...the tape is Charlie. i found the other versions here...8/2. the week before i meant in reference to the week before finals. if you see the notes in the youtube link the date is listed

Edited by Jeff Ream

This is one of the few shows that I would absolutely love to hear again, modern day. If Crossmen were to come out and play this book in 2022, there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house. All the feels. Yeah, I know the book doesn't necessarily fit with the direction the activity has been going, but the world could use some pick me ups right about now. 

Hey Bones, you listening? 

• Like 1

Any thoughts on how this percussion book would stack up these days in terms of field and effect scores? Would the musciality of the book and skills required still hold up well? Let's assume finals clean and copious amounts of modern body movement factored in too 😊

To this non drummer modern books are, while just as impressive in their own right, less easy to  simplify-and-approximate-via-tapping-hands-on-knees than days gone by, that's for sure! 

19 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

This is one of the few shows that I would absolutely love to hear again, modern day. If Crossmen were to come out and play this book in 2022, there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house. All the feels. Yeah, I know the book doesn't necessarily fit with the direction the activity has been going, but the world could use some pick me ups right about now. 

Hey Bones, you listening? 

I love the idea, but I keep thinking we have lost a bit of the magic that makes shows like this so memorable.  I would prefer to keep this on it's own as something so many appreciated. 

This is from 28 years ago.  G-bugles, no electronics, so much melody and 1 prop (just a large beach ball that looks like the planet).  The show personifies the idea that the total is greater than the sum of it's parts. 

Imagine 28 years later and so much love for this show.  It would be nice if every show had the same effect. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grimmo said:

Any thoughts on how this percussion book would stack up these days in terms of field and effect scores? Would the musciality of the book and skills required still hold up well? Let's assume finals clean and copious amounts of modern body movement factored in too 😊

To this non drummer modern books are, while just as impressive in their own right, less easy to  simplify-and-approximate-via-tapping-hands-on-knees than days gone by, that's for sure! 

that book and todays visual demands wouldn't work well together.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:57 AM, grimmo said:

Now that there are no judges on the field, I'm not sure this question could be answered for the battery.  I for one, don't think there would be a problem with this book because it's very musical.  Maybe needs a few more features for exposure.

With regards to the pit, it would need some heavy upgrades.

Still one of my favorite shows - by far one of my top Crossmen shows (along with '90, '97 and '01).  Always glad to see it get love!  '92 was such a great year for DCI - there were a ton of corps with incredibly fun programs. 

I've got the snare music at home, and I can assure you the battery book is Dense with a capital D - would need a lot of retooling (read: watering) to fit today's movement-heavy visual programs.  

Mike