I was there when...........

We've all been to shows where something "unusual/unique/etc" happened that we'd never seen/heard before. What are your stories? It can also be something that happened to you during a performance.

Ready? GO!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there when a judge died at the West Chester, PA show right before Madison was to step off. Early 80's maybe?

Not a fun thing but it fits the thread.

I was there when a judge died at the West Chester, PA show right before Madison was to step off. Early 80's maybe?

Not a fun thing but it fits the thread.

Wait, what?

I was there the last time someone scored a 99.15.

I was there when there was a moat surrounding the field at Boylan stadium. It was filled with water and mud. I witnessed a Regiment member fainting during the Age Out ceremony and the nurse lumbering through the moat and falling and then attempting to climb/crawl out of the moat to see to the member.

Why would anyone have this contest in a stadium with a foot deep moat around the field?

Because you can drink beer at Boylan...unlike any other high school stadium in Rockford.

.....when a judge got his skull split open by a flag pole in 1969. It was at my corps' contest in Kings Park, NY. We had invited the La Salle Cadets down from Canada for the show. They had those heavy flag poles with the big, metal ferals on top. One of the judges stepped into a formation right when one of the flags did a dump move. It hit him right in the center of the head and split it wide open. My Mom (who is a nurse) ran out on the field and stuffed a towel over the top of his head. They rushed him off to the hospital by the time the corps finished their show.

I was there the night after 1975 DCI when Muchachos competed against Madison and Blue Devils.

The "Competition" was "judged" by audience response and Madison won. Would have been a hoot if Muchachos had come out on top (we were hoping just for the Hades of it :thumbdown: ).

Now DCA memories... :lol: then I have a lot

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I was there when Blue Devils capped off an undefeated season in 1982.

I was there at the 1982 Finals when 27th Lancers disobeyed Montreal's no victory playing order. We were in the middle of the pack by the 50 for retreat. Since corps were not allowed to play off the field, they were peeling from either side (I believe that Blue Devils were allowed to stay and play as the winners). That made us ninth to leave. 42,000 fans chanting "play, play, play" when our drum major came back and said that director George Bonfiglio said we were doing Danny Boy off. Our horns popped up and the place erupted before we hit the first note.

Perhaps my most favorite memory of all time.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

We have a tie...

I was there; on the field as a marching member; when scores were announced finals night in '96...

I stopped marching jr. corps after that - not necessarily BECAUSE of that, but I didn't go to finals again until 1999 - this time as an audience member... still felt oddly coincidental... But I was there for the first two!

I was there in 1988, standing on the front sideline 10 feet in front of Madison's frontline for their encore performance after winning DCI in Kansas City. True story. I was 15, had just finished my rookie season marching 4th bass with Colts, we beat Troopers to take 18th, and lost to Blue Knights by (I think) 1 tenth. I was outside the tunnel and figured it was worth a try, so I put on my best "I'm supposed to be here" face and walked all the way onto the field for the encore performance, no one payed any attention to me. It was like I was invisible. One of my best DCI memories to be sure.

Edited by BozzlyB