I was there when...........

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was there when brandt crocker pronounced absurdity right...

Edited by doyle079

I was there to watch the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta's finals performance in 1980... the single most emotional show I've ever witnessed and a night that launched what is currently a 26 year drum corps career (and I'm sure many more)

I was there the night in 1982 when Spirit of Atlanta sat on the hill in Whitewater in a giant delta after being knocked out of finals by Suncoast Sound. We wanted to put the activity on notice, that we were still there and would be back.

I was there at McGill stadium in an emotionally charged prelim performance 2 weeks later that earned the corps a spot in finals and may well have saved the corps from shutting down.

I was there in 1983 at Allentown, when a corps that was rumored to fold in the Winter of '83, defeated the Madison Scouts at DCI East and let the world know Spirit was back with a vengeance.

I was there in 1983 when Garfield and Spirit came together to play "Georgia" in Sevierville (still wish someone had a recording of that)

I was there two years later at the same show when a Spirit food mom was hit by a vehicle and an entire drum corps spent hours wondering if they were reliving the horror of a few years earlier, all over again. (she eventually completely recovered)

I was there in 1984 at the Rockford show when Spirit broke 90 for the second time in it's history.

I was there in 1984 and had the chance to march finals in my corps "hometown".

I was there in 1985 to see the first guard championship for a very special group of people and their instructors.

I was there at prelims in 1986 when Spirit with an emotional show ended up in fifth, one tenth out of fourth behind Garfield.

I was there in 1987 and witnessed two absolutely phenomenal shows from SCV and Garfield... both corps were championship calibre. Glad I wasn't judging that night.

I was there in 1987 to see my fiance march her last performance in the drum corps activity and walk off the field as the DCI Guard Champion for the 2nd time in three years

I was there in 1988 to watch Madison set the place on FIRE with their finals performance. Still one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen

I was there in 1989 watching Phantom's classic show with the backdrop of the Spirit members sitting in a delta in the back stands after they missed finals for the first time since 1977.

I was there in 1995 to see Spirit return to the field after going inactive for a season in 1994.

I was NOT there in 1995 (thanks again Dennis :thumbup: ) to see my former student whom I had gotten started in drum corps win the DCI Championship and the high drum trophy after all he ever wanted to do was march in a finalist corps in his ageout year.

I was there in 2000 when a former director tried to shut down Spirit and a gutsy group of parents, alumni and instructional staff refused to allow it to die.

I was there in 2001 in Paul Snow stadium, (where the Spirit broke 90 for the first time and had beaten Santa Clara so many years before for the first time) to see the Spirit Preview show and watch the corps take the field in "Baby Blue" again.... a very special night indeed.

I was there to hand Jason Lowe a recording of his "brothers and sisters" in Spirit playing a special arrangement written for him of "With Quiet Courage" just days before he passed away....... still miss you J....

I was there to play in a combined group of Spirit members, Spirit Alums, Corps Vets members and a few other friends at a memorial service for Jason Lowe.... not a dry eye in the bunch and not a heart not breaking that day.

I was there to see a brand new drum corps from Atlanta take the field for the first time in 2003...

I was there to see that same corps go undefeated in brass in Div III all year but not even get to compete for the "official" brass title because they marched their last show at Div III championships finishing 4th and not moving on to Grand Finals.

I was there in 2005 to hear the Memphis Sound members play "Can't Help" for Trey Moore's parents (who helped support the Memphis Blues and helped Trey found Memphis Sound).

I was there to see a TON of my former students who were marching Phantom shock the world and win their first undisputed championship with an AMAZING performance that night in 2008, 20 years after I had watched Madison have the same kind of show in KC.

I was there in 2008 to watch my baby girl who celebrated her first birthday on tour in 1991 (while Dad was teaching brass and mom was selling souvies) march her first year of drum corps with the same corps her mom and dad had marched/taught so many years.

I was there in Rochester in 2008 to see my first ever DCA championships and walk around the lot listening to the lot performances after the show was over.

Looking foward to many more wonderful drum corps memories how ever many years the good lord grants me here in this world.....

Later, AA

Edited by nhsalan

I was there in 1991 when three DCI Midwest corps were in the top 3 at finals (Star of Indiana, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment).

I was there in 1992 to see the Cavaliers win their first DCI Trophy.

I was there in 1993 to see the Star of Indiana blaze a new trail of innovation and concept that has yet to be achieved in this day and age. To see this corps perform its last DCI Show in its existence as a DCI member corps. And still to this day is one of my favorite shows of all time.

I was there in 1993 when the Phantom Regiment won its first regional of the season after a 4 year drought in Birmingham Alabama to beat the Blue Devils at DCI South. When we had numerous standing ovations for our finals performance that night in Jackson Mississippi. WHAT AN AGE OUT YEAR. At a show in Tennessee (can't remember the location) where we were on the field performing it's show that night with a huge electrical storm going on a few miles away. We reached the final last two notes of the show as a huge bolt of lightening streaked across the sky. At that point, the show promoter came on the loud speakers to ask everyone to clear the field. When the entire corp marched across the field in a crab step, do a 360 and play its final ending to the opener to probably the biggest crowd response of the night. To see the entire pit physically on the field for the first time, as well as march our Ballad around our helmets. It was also a time when Tony Hall came to the corps to influence so many great people to constantly strive for the highest.

I was there 1996 to see Phantom win its share of a DCI title to the Blue Devils in Orlando Florida. One of the most proud moments I have ever had with my corps.

I was there in 2008 to see Regiment win it's first outright DCI title by beating the Blue Devils by .025 in Bloomington Indiana. Another proud moment for me and my corps.

I was there in 2003 to see the Blue Stars go undefeated in Division III Competition and win the Division III Title, win high brass and high GE. The last time the corps was in Division III. Many of the members that marched that year would go on to stay with the corps and see its growth into a "World Class Finalist" this past year.

I was there in 2007 to see so many Santa Clara Vanguard Alumni pull for the corps at DCI Finals in California. And to have the corps beat Carolina Crown that same year at finals by .025 And to be a part of SCV's 40th Anniversary year.

I was there in Port Clinton, Ohio, when mayflies (Junebugs?) inundated the stadium, looking like snow in June, forcing a drum major only retreat and listening to the crunch crunch of the bugs underfoot as people fled the stadium.

I was there outside a stadium in West Virginia in 1995 when two children were asking for - and receiving - autographs from a Madison Scout.

I was there in 1990 when Santa Clara Vanguard played its last chord from the stadium tunnel.

I was there in 1992 when the Glassmen flew kites - and missed finals by .10 of a point.

I was there in 1992 when the Velvet Knights' shark ate the opera singer.

• I was there when Tom Float was introduced to the Blue Devils
  • I was there when Catherine Float was introduced to the Blue Devils
  • I was there when John Oppedisano was introduced to the Blue Devils
  • I was there for DCI Title number 5 for the Blue Devils
  • I was there for Blue Devil High Brass Titles #5, 6, 7, 8
  • I was there for the Blue Devils Drumline three-peating the drum title, right after Bayonne did it.
  • I was there for Garfield's Threepeat
  • I was there when Geneseo's score took a massive nose dive, leaving all of corpsdom blinking and wondering what happened
  • I was there when the St. Croix Rivermen did a standstill behind our buses after a show in LA
  • I was there during the Blue Devil food truck fire in 85
  • I was there when the Blue Devils Drum Majors presented pineapples and an umbrella to the Velvet Knights
  • I was there when the Blue Devils Drum Majors took sips from VK's DM's cokes....at retreat....right before scores were announced (SkyRyders DM was reading the newspaper while the slow pokes were making their way forward). I have this all on video, too :)
  • I was there when Vanguard won DCI after having placed 7th the year before.
  • I was there when Vanguard won Prelims in 83.....and didn't win a caption.
  • I was there when Blue Devils were named the best performing unit in the Japanese Osaka Parade - 1983
  • I was there when Garfield beat Bridgemen at DCI Midwest Finals, 1981, for the first time in years.

I was there to see one of my favorite uniforms take the field for the last time. VK, 1983... Aloha!

I was there in 2005 to hear the Memphis Sound members play "Can't Help" for Trey Moore's parents (who helped support the Memphis Blues and helped Trey found Memphis Sound).

I remember that day. Already emotional. We arc up around the souvie tent and play for them. Then we circle it up in the parking lot to play for the rest of the corps. I really wish I had a recording of that. What I would not give to play it 1 more time.

I was in DeKalb in July, 1982, for two of the most intense perfromances ever given under the banner of "competitive drum and bugle corps," as Phantom and Spartacus 2.0 edged Madison and Ice Castles 3.0 to win the runoff at Drum Corps Midwest.

OOOHHH - Good one! I was there for that too! AMAZING experience!

I was there at the Stillwater show in 1985 when I found out the entire corps (or so the story goes) of Phantom had been poisoned by bad water. Sort of scared me to be honest.

That was 86, actually. And it was about half the corps - but enough that we couldn't possibly perform. I was there too - as a marching member, but I didn't get sick. I had eaten at Hardy's across the street from our housing rather than eating the spaghetti that was actually the cuplrit in making everyone sick. But I was in warm-ups before the show and watched the bass drummers passing out with their drums on. It was very scary.

This thread is a great reminder of all the things I've been there for. I was there for a lot of other unforgettable things that have been mentioned as well.......

The 84 Garfield Whitewater wipeout

96 - "And in second place, which is actually a tie for first place...."

08 Finals - WOW

And here's another one.....

June 19, 1987 when the Bluecoats beat the Phantom Regiment (for the first time ever, I believe)

I was there in Montreal in 1990 when Colts, Blue Devils, Phantom, Madison, and Blue Coats all had free day on the same day and ended up at the same beer garden that night, to witness drummers from the above mentioned corps all hacking on tables and chairs, and Chris Thompson (his last year with Scouts) bought me a pitcher of beer. No lie. This was after spending the whole day hanging out with Q-5 from BD. What a great freaking day.