Top Posters In This Topic

Sam got my point. When corps like:

27th Lancers

Bridgemen

Freelancers

Sky Ryders

Suncoast Sound

North Star

are all gone, and those I named earlier are recent/current regulars in finals (or in the case of Southwind, close to finalists and maybe back in World Class?), things have changed.

I was there when my beloved corps was still on the field. <sigh> :smile:

I was there when a disgusted George Zingali spoke to the "91" Star Members stating that all his rewrites for the new ending from the earlier 4- hour block he hated. So we went untill 2AM at Boston University and her created the famous "Cross to Cross", no sets, no marching staff, just us and George!!! Brilliant Man who is sadly missed!!!

Alden

PS- Matt I miss our beloved corps also!!!! See you soon!!!

You missed the point...look at the corps listed and their 1982 placements.

The Colts finished 24th

Boston Crusaders finished 26th

Bluecoats finished 33rd

Glassmen finished 34th

Southwind finished 36th

Blue Stars finished 37th

The point is NOT that they could not finish below 24th because of the number of corps...the point is that all of them -- woth the exception of Southwind -- have made finals...all but Blue Stars multiple times...it's an indicator ov improvement against gthe monsters above them....not raw placement.

BS made constant inprovement after #### near folding years back....working their way through Div III (winning at least once that I'm aware of), Div II, then close to making Div I finals a couple of years before reentering last season.

Southwind has bounced around a lot, coming close in 2000 to making the Saturday show, but averaging a placement in the mid teens is better than averaging one in the 20s...it's still an improvement.

Oh... I thought that when you said "point... missed.. ", that you were saying that you yourself had missed the point, not that BS had missed it. I got both points.

You missed the point...look at the corps listed and their 1982 placements.

The Colts finished 24th

Boston Crusaders finished 26th

Bluecoats finished 33rd

Glassmen finished 34th

Southwind finished 36th

Blue Stars finished 37th

The point is NOT that they could not finish below 24th because of the number of corps...the point is that all of them -- woth the exception of Southwind -- have made finals...all but Blue Stars multiple times...it's an indicator ov improvement against gthe monsters above them....not raw placement.

BS made constant inprovement after #### near folding years back....working their way through Div III (winning at least once that I'm aware of), Div II, then close to making Div I finals a couple of years before reentering last season.

Southwind has bounced around a lot, coming close in 2000 to making the Saturday show, but averaging a placement in the mid teens is better than averaging one in the 20s...it's still an improvement.

While that is definitely one way to put it (glass 1/2 full), it can also easily be interpreted another way (glass 1/2 empty) for pessimists out there. That is great for those individual corps listed above. But the fact that there are not even 24 World Class corps (according to corps reps only 47 competing corps that attended Championships last year) can be a bit depressing for some people who have been fans of corps for a long time and remember the seemingly plethora of corps that were competing.

I was there when a disgusted George Zingali spoke to the "91" Star Members stating that all his rewrites for the new ending from the earlier 4- hour block he hated. So we went untill 2AM at Boston University and her created the famous "Cross to Cross", no sets, no marching staff, just us and George!!! Brilliant Man who is sadly missed!!!

That drill was a fitting and masterful conclusion to a career full of such moments...I was floored by how it came together when I saw it...more so when I first heard the story of how George created it...the master at his best.

And really...that poor mello who was doing a #%@#%^100 meter dash and ended up at the bottomof the front leg! I can't imagine HOW the guy was playing those long tones while doing that drill.

Alden

PS- Matt I miss our beloved corps also!!!! See you soon!!!

Alden-

I miss your other beloved corps that I was a member of as well.

Great story :smile:

I second that Geno, though I might put it in the top two! I was standing six spots to your right that night on the field and I could not believe the amount of energy from the corps and the fans in the stands. The pre-runoff warmup was insane.....and if you remember i believe the Scouts lost both prelims and finals because of a penalty.