Youtube Policy needs to GO AWAY!

SCVsopAaron

Youtube Ban  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of banning youtube links on DCP?

• Yes
    • No

While I will agree that directly displaying illegal IP on the site could pose a liability, YouTube has made recent advances in technology to mitigate that risk to an extent.

They have developed software capable of ID'ing pirated IP and placing advertising on the lower-third to supply the IP owners with compensation for the use of their material.

That said, there's still a lot of grey area there.

Many employers will not allow individuals to directly embed YouTube videos on internal websites due to possible infringement liability. http: links are usually permissible, because you are then viewing it on the YouTube site and it is YouTube's potential liability.

Most studios and music producers are now providing ways, and promoting the use of, embed methods for users to directly display their IP while providing advertising along with such embeds ... These companies are finding it actually helps to get the product out, and promoted, on as many sites as possible. A couple of examples of this would being singingfool.com, revver.com, blip.tv, crackle, and others.

If you embed a revver.com video on your site ... say a sitcom or something ... You will actually get 20% of the ad revenue while the creator gets 40% and revver.com gets 40%. Not a bad way to add some monetization to your site.

Right, but we're not even talking about any embedding going on... (I don't even think it's possible with the current forum system...) Regardless, DCP stands to make ZERO money from this, and simply linking to youtube is not, as far as I can tell, grounds for liability. It would be a HUGE stretch. http: links seem to be totally fair game... I mean, what if I used a redirect service? Like tr.im... OR if I linked to a blog linking to a video... There're so many ways around it that basically do the same thing.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, then, let's cut to the chase:

Why would DCP expose itself to ANY amount of liability, when its members are completely free to navigate to YouTube and search for whatever they want? DCP takes no steps to prohibit any person from browsing over to other sites and accessing whatever content they want. However, when they are specifically asked, by the sanctioning bodies and participating organizations (including your alma mater) of the activity this site is all about, to remove links to copyrighted materials - how can it NOT be in DCP's best interest to remove the links? If you want to visit YouTube and watch what's out there - DO IT. What's stopping you? Why is this somehow a "DCP problem?"

Why would DCP expose itself to ANY amount of liability, when its members are completely free to navigate to YouTube and search for whatever they want? DCP takes no steps to prohibit any person from browsing over to other sites and accessing whatever content they want. However, when they are specifically asked, by the sanctioning bodies and participating organizations (including your alma mater) of the activity this site is all about, to remove links to copyrighted materials - how can it NOT be in DCP's best interest to remove the links? If you want to visit YouTube and watch what's out there - DO IT. What's stopping you? Why is this somehow a "DCP problem?"

Because there is no liability for providing links as long as you're not hosting images. Zero. Zip. None.

If a poster here wants to share a cool video link with someone, then why not?

If I want to link to a web show that I'd like to share with other users, and it happens be hosted on YouTube (or any other distribution site), why not? Sharing information among people with a common interests is what social networking sites are all about. More over that's how many web content developers get their shows noticed.

You just don't have a point here, sorry.

Right, but we're not even talking about any embedding going on... (I don't even think it's possible with the current forum system...) Regardless, DCP stands to make ZERO money from this, and simply linking to youtube is not, as far as I can tell, grounds for liability. It would be a HUGE stretch. http: links seem to be totally fair game... I mean, what if I used a redirect service? Like tr.im... OR if I linked to a blog linking to a video... There're so many ways around it that basically do the same thing.

It is actually possible with the current forum system, it's just turned off by the admins.

Possibly a good thing ... Site admins might have to spend a lot of time policing video content, or even worse, inappropriate embedded ads that are not under direct control. DCP has already had some issues with inappropriate Google banner ads popping up (one of the reasons I won't put banner ads on my sites.)

My concern wouldn't be about embedding bootleg video ... Just offensive/inappropriate materials.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Because there is no liability for providing links as long as you're not hosting images. Zero. Zip. None.

If I want to link to a web show that I'd like to share with other users, and it happens be hosted on YouTube (or any other distribution site), why not? Sharing information among people with a common interests is what social networking sites are all about. More over that's how many web content developers get their shows noticed.

We are speaking about drum corps videos, not videos in general.

I'm afraid I do. If we continue to allow hosting of links to illegal copies of copyrighted works, we can be held liable for helping to distribute it. You might not think so, but there are plenty of lawyers out there more than ready to make that case. There's absolutely no reason to expose us to a lawsuit even if we could win it; it's better and simpler on our part to simply comply with the requests made.

After discussing this with a certain person in the know, the issues are pretty complex and more of a safe than sorry type of arrangement... As technology progresses, this type of policing will be next to impossible, methinks... I do understand why DCP is doing what it's doing though...

After discussing this with a certain person in the know, the issues are pretty complex and more of a safe than sorry type of arrangement... As technology progresses, this type of policing will be next to impossible, methinks... I do understand why DCP is doing what it's doing though...

Think I also try to keep in mind is this: If you're sued and win, you can still lose your ### with costs and lost time/productivity.

Ok, so rather than fighting about links and such... What can we do as a community to provide this content to one another? From what I heard from someone high up, pretty much nothing. It's very unfortunate that IP laws and the PROSPECT of liability (not the actuality) is such a HUGE shadow... You could technically make the argument that ANYTHING is illegal...

IP laws need to change, because this is ridiculous.

PS: THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION! NOT THE CORPS I'M AFFILIATED WITH!

It is actually possible with the current forum system, it's just turned off by the admins.

Possibly a good thing ... Site admins might have to spend a lot of time policing video content, or even worse, inappropriate embedded ads that are not under direct control. DCP has already had some issues with inappropriate Google banner ads popping up (one of the reasons I won't put banner ads on my sites.)

Yet you host forums on a site that does so, with the leading ad being for GayChubbyDating.com.