Youtube Policy needs to GO AWAY!

SCVsopAaron

Youtube Ban  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of banning youtube links on DCP?

• Yes
    • No

John....as the OWNER of DCP...has spoken...it's his site...his rules...end of discussion.

Don't like it....as they say in Old Soviet Union....toughki ####ski....go to YouTube all you want and put in your own search parameters....period, stop, end of discussion.

Cyberplace: Defining a Right to Internet Access Through Public Accommodation Law (Temple Law Review, Vol. 76, pp. 225-276, Summer 2003 )

This isn't the Soviet Union ... Hell, even the Soviet Union isn't the Soviet Union any more. Even more on-point, the Soviet Union collapsed because its business model failed.

Maybe that is a good analogy for DCP.

(Oh, and I'd check that language filter circumvention ... It's in violation of the TOS, you know.)

Edited by MikeN

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the bottom line is that the attorney that I trust to advise me on these issues (and on whose E&O insurance I rely) has advised that the best route is to not permit the links - especially since we've specifically been asked by people that may/do have claim to copyrights and other IP rights in the materials.

-john

How antiquated of you to listen to your lawyer with regard to the site you own. It would be best for you to listen to some of the truly great minds on this site in all things instead. You have much to learn, young padawan.

:whip:

How antiquated of you to listen to your lawyer with regard to the site you own. It would be best for you to listen to some of the truly great minds on this site in all things instead. You have much to learn, young padawan.

:whip:

"Young"??

*ducks and runs* :whip:

I don't know what you are getting at, but ultimately it just sounds homophobic.

Don't gay chubby guys need lovin' too? Is it wrong if some agency wants to help them find it?

What does this have to do with DCP's YouTube policy?

It doesn't, it has to do with you saying you refuse to have google ads on your site, yet that is a lie since your forums are hosted on a site that does have them.

Sorry, John, but not being up-to-date in current business standards and practices regarding new media publishing are showing in this thought process. I'll agree with Whitedawn, and say your policies are completely outdated.

Yeah John how dare you do what you want with your own site. :whip:

Now think I'll go drink a beer at my "on the wagon" relatives house. When they complain I'll just say it's legal and they should allow what I want. Of course when the deer rifle comes out I might reconsider.

John....as the OWNER of DCP...has spoken...it's his site...his rules...end of discussion.

Don't like it....as they say in Old Soviet Union....toughki shitski....go to YouTube all you want and put in your own search parameters....period, stop, end of discussion.

Well, no. NOT end of discussion. We can voice our opinions, ideas, and concerns until this thread is closed. I'm kinda of the opinion that dcihasbeen has stated. I understand that DCI and the corps have asked them to remove links... BUT, if it's not illegal, then what? I dunno, something seems amiss. If the policy doesn't change, I'm not going to cry about it.

AND - although it is HIS site, he relies on the community to provide content, revenue, and relevance. If we get angry and go away or create an alternative, methinks it's not in his best interest.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

It doesn't, it has to do with you saying you refuse to have google ads on your site, yet that is a lie since your forums are hosted on a site that does have them.

No, I said google banner ads, which are graphic in content. You won't see banner ads on any of my sites.

But your comment still sounds homophobic.

Well, no. NOT end of discussion. We can voice our opinions, ideas, and concerns until this thread is closed. I'm kinda of the opinion that dcihasbeen has stated. I understand that DCI and the corps have asked them to remove links... BUT, if it's not illegal, then what? I dunno, something seems amiss. If the policy doesn't change, I'm not going to cry about it.

AND - although it is HIS site, he relies on the community to provide content, revenue, and relevance. If we get angry and go away or create an alternative, methinks it's not in his best interest.

Your last paragraph is completely on point ... Not only that, but there is an implied covenant where users come to this site and are consumers of its advertising in exchange for use.

"Take it or leave it" very rarely works in business, especially in American business. It's more like, take it, and if you're dissatisfied with it, negotiate until a middle ground is reached. The users of the DCP community have created a working partnership with the administrator of this site ... Something that needs to be recognized and valued, not continually quashed.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

i may have been a little tipsy last night when i wrote what i wrote.

john's decision is, in my professional opinion, overly cautious, but it is his decision to make. dcp is not liable for bootleggers on youtube under 99% of colorable legal theories. there might be one crackpot court who would buy that dcp should pay up, but i doubt it.

anyway, i'm not tipsy now, and i still think the policy is a bit restrictive. but i accept it.

Your last paragraph is completely on point ... Not only that, but there is an implied covenant where users come to this site and are consumers of its advertising in exchange for use.

"Take it or leave it" very rarely works in business, especially in American business. It's more like, take it, and if you're dissatisfied with it, negotiate until a middle ground is reached. The users of the DCP community have created a working partnership with the administrator of this site ... Something that needs to be recognized and valued, not continually quashed.

No one ever said you weren't free to create your own site if you're not satisfied with the way things run here . . .it's how DCP was borne of RAMD, after all.

Competition is always healthy; just don't expect to get free advertising for it on here like you already do for the misadventures of Michael Boo. :whip:

In this "sue first, think things through later" age we live in now, being cautious is better than just seeing what happens if we open the floodgates.