Schiller Marching Brass

QuebecSOP

I don't think I would ever buy an instrument that makes something that looks like

fsfrenchh1m.jpg

Ahh, the "Frumpet".

Schiller horns are built in China by a company that builds them and sells them out to different retailers. If you look on ebay, you'll find lots of people selling the same stuff. I own a couple Chinese trumpets that were donated to an organization I coordinated, and I would vouch that they are good enough for a small, local, beginning group that is just getting started. I don't think they could handle the abuse of a typical drum and bugle corps, and the sound would probably not reach the press box intact.

I believe they are a Jin Bao product, at least the concert tubas that are copies of the Miraphone are. They just stencil them or do minor finishing and call them "made in ...". Almost all the top manufacturers are doing this for their "less expensive" lines. And quite honestly, the tubas they are putting out are pretty darn good too. Trumpets and trombones too, at least for the beginner/ intermediate player.

Here is a picture of one of my MN friends, very satisfied with his new Schiller copy of the Hirsbrunner.

Tuba.jpg

Here is another picture of the same horn, $1790.

schiller_4valve_bbbrotary_tuba1.jpg

Their marching tuba, which sells for $1097:

schiller_fs_marching_tuba1.jpg

Heh, $1700 for a copy of a $14,000 (depending on which way the wind is blowing) horn. I wonder if they're just breaking into the factory at night and grinding "Hirshbrunner" off the bell.

Heh, $1700 for a copy of a $14,000 (depending on which way the wind is blowing) horn. I wonder if they're just breaking into the factory at night and grinding "Hirshbrunner" off the bell.

It was talked all over on Tubenet. They are closer to the HB 192 than the Miraphone 191, supposedly. HBs are really expensive too, but this copy seems to be a good playing one. If I did not already have a :thumbup: Cerveny 603 that plays like butter, I would check it out closer myself.

I believe they are a Jin Bao product, at least the concert tubas that are copies of the Miraphone are. They just stencil them or do minor finishing and call them "made in ...". Almost all the top manufacturers are doing this for their "less expensive" lines. And quite honestly, the tubas they are putting out are pretty darn good too. Trumpets and trombones too, at least for the beginner/ intermediate player.

Here is a picture of one of my MN friends, very satisfied with his new Schiller copy of the Hirsbrunner.

Tuba.jpg

Here is another picture of the same horn, $1790.

schiller_4valve_bbbrotary_tuba1.jpg

Their marching tuba, which sells for $1097:

schiller_fs_marching_tuba1.jpg

The concert horn certainly is beautiful to look at. BigDale, is there any chance you could get your friend do a recording with that horn and post it at least on youtube? It would be really cool if we could hear how it plays.

Edited by Penn State

Thank goodness Pepe didn't live to see that horn.

If Pepe had played this, it would have been 6' long after about 2 hours!!!

Not sure who would have welded the Parduba 5 Star on the lead pipe though...

The concert horn certainly is beautiful to look at. BigDale, is there any chance you could get your friend do a recording with that horn and post it at least on youtube? It would be really cool if we could hear how it plays.

He won't put a sound bite on the internet. Unless you have some sort of really uber software, you really can't hear it off the pc anyway. You have to hear it live. I had great doubts, but it has turned out to be very positive.

How's the construction of the horn?

How's the construction of the horn?

He said it was pretty good. Stiff linkages, but as he played them more, they loosened up nicely. His tuba was right out of the crate too, so no tweaking by the tech. I think he should have let the brass tech pick one out and take out any odd kinks from the factory, but that's just me. I got a good deal on my 603 and the brass guy was right there when I play tested it against the tuner, fixed any little odd things (too tight valve caps and one noisy linkage). The rose brass leadpipe on the Schiller is a nice addition, as it will help with red rot.

Is it well finished like a Euro? No. But for the budding amatuer or every day player, it is a fine horn for a good price. Remember when No One would touch a Miraphone, as they were considered cheapo and substandard? Look how that has changed now and how their intonation is impeccable. I even had that stigma back in college and did NOT like the sound of the Miraphone CC they gave me to use. The Cerveny was a much better horn and really not at all that expensive. I played an old Alexander Kaiser, first horn I ever owned and now have a very nice 603 and a little Jupiter 378 to beat around on with my blaskapell.

Dale "thinking I might drive to Stevens Point and try it out myself" Riebesehl

• 2 weeks later...

The tuba exchange is selling these horns as a store brand:

http://www.tubaexchange.com/product-detail...ng%20BBb%20tuba (4/4 tuba, appears to bethe same as the 'Schiller' model)

and they even have a 5/4! at least that's what they call it...

http://www.tubaexchange.com/product-detail...ng%20BBb%20tuba

Edited by Penn State