Schiller Marching Brass

QuebecSOP

and they even have a 5/4! at least that's what they call it...

http://www.tubaexchange.com/product-detail...ng%20BBb%20tuba

That just screams Kanstul at me.

The Tuba Exchange also pushed St. Petersburgs on everyone and their mother no matter what you came to them seeking. I remember asking them about gig bags and the message came back, "We'll have to see if we have that size, but meanwhile have you thought about a St. Petersburg?!" So, take that for what it's worth. That one horn looks like something from 1965.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering the same thing because i came across some schiller marching euphs and i thought it was peculiar that they are so cheap

They're cheap because 1) they're made with much lower manufacturing costs both in material and labor, and 2) Jim Laabs is both retailer and distributor--a classic "we've cut out the middleman" scenario. My company does the same thing, we sell Schmidt brass instruments that we both distribute and retail, which means both the ability to sell much cheaper and a much higher profit margin.

*shrug* I've never messed with their stuff. I believe it's Chinese-made, which means YMMV depending on how well you take care of it. My company has its own line of Chinese-made marching brass, which has done decently for us. Everyone's familiar with the typical problems of those horns--quality of materials, attention to detail in the workmanship, etc. A Google search should give you an idea of experiences people have had with those horns.

The infamous Smith bugles were made in Germany.

Look at the specs. A .488 bore mello, humongous. A .527 bore euph, dinky. I'd be very suspicious.

just gave me a good yuck...

The Smith bugle was so bad it was like the mythic Mr & Mrs Smith checking into the No Tell Motel.

So embarrassed they wouldn't sign their real names...

Always wondered what the idiot who built that horn's real name was...