Cadets Opener Clip

FTNK

The biggest thing I have gotten from this thread is that The Cadets can do know right for some people. They do really "non-traditional" drum corps shows from 2005-2008 and pretty much get flamed for it from a whole lot of people. Now in 2009 they are going back to a more "traditional" type of drum corps show and are now getting flamed for doing the "same ole same ole."

The thing is, while some people may have such black-and-white opinions, I am looking at things in a more nuanced way. I absolutely loved and still love 2005 because of its artistic use of story, surrealism, subtle music, and performance level. 2006 was a good idea but not well executed, but it still had that sense of being bold and reinventing the drum corps idiom. 2007 and 2008, from a purely design standpoint, felt to me like a retreat from what I had liked so much about 2005 and 2006. Instead of being a fearless wholesale redefinition of drum corps, full of risk-taking, artistry and subtly, they were basically very straightforward traditional drum corps with one new element layered on top, the narration. 2007 is pretty ###### as a drum corps show but it just doesn't grab me on an artistic and intellectual level like 2005. So, I don't put 2005-2008 into one box and say "non-traditional drum corps."

I see 2009 as a further retreat from the creative paradigm that made me like The Cadets so much in 2005. I guess what I want to see is a program that provides entertainment and excellence while bringing something fresh and creative to the activity. The Cadets could have done that in 2009 (and 2008 for that matter) but chose not to.

Do I look forward to The Cadets' show? Yes. Do I support the corps? Yes. Do I hope that time commitments allow me to see the corps perform in person multiple times this summer? Yes. Do I want them to take a 10th DCI World Championship this season? Yes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest thing I have gotten from this thread is that The Cadets can do know right for some people. They do really "non-traditional" drum corps shows from 2005-2008 and pretty much get flamed for it from a whole lot of people. Now in 2009 they are going back to a more "traditional" type of drum corps show and are now getting flamed for doing the "same ole same ole."

Lesson learned:

You can't please everyone, so why even try?

I don't care what anybody says about the frequency of West Side Story in drum corps repetoires, that music is delicious enough to be served often. I got chills listening to strains of Tonight, Maria, Somewhere, etc., and am sure I will get them again this summer.

Agreed.

I don't know about some people, but I'm really digging the old-school vibe, considering I wasn't alive during that old-school era. :thumbup: If Spartacus was an "old-school" feel, then I'm all for corps polishing off an old piece or two. It helps that I never tire of hearing WSS, too.