Where have all the audio and video extras gone?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was researching this, and it seems that wide screen video takes more room on the dvd...hence, they had to omit certain things. :tongue:

Did the price of the DVD's drop dramatically to cover for such a difference in the overall quality and package that they presented? According to my AMEX statement, no. Similar price. Less offerings.

Anamorphic widescreen and high camera for all corps. Sounds like more offerings to me. And I'll take that over the commentary tracks any day.

Perhaps the corps could post something on the DCI Fan Network. That might be an interestesting way for that to be used (and in my opinion a much better alternative than the DVD's).

Anamorphic widescreen and high camera for all corps. Sounds like more offerings to me. And I'll take that over the commentary tracks any day.

Perhaps the corps could post something on the DCI Fan Network. That might be an interestesting way for that to be used (and in my opinion a much better alternative than the DVD's).

I am enjoying the wide screen, but i seriously love those percussion judge tapes!!! Watching it right along with the corps performance is awesome!

Everyone has answered my questions.....'I think i made the right choice'.

This thread is kind of redundant to one or two others that ran at the time the 2008 DVDs were first released in November. At first, what's being repeated here is what we thought in those threads as well, that it was space considerations because of the adoption of anamorphic widescreen that forced the elimination of the extras such as percussion judge commentary for the top six. But as we delved deeper into it, it became apparent that really wasn't the reason, because they still had space for many, most, or all of the extras of previous recent DVD sets even with anamorphic widescreen, if they'd stayed in a four-disc format. To support this claim, see this thread and in particular post 89 in there if you don't want to spend a lot of time reading the whole thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=119846

DCI never released a statement or interview comment addressing the reasons for the cuts that I read, but reading between the lines, it's obvious that what they were doing was saving money. They needed to cut their production costs for producing the DVD set. So why charge the same amount? By inference, they need the money. It needed to be more profitable. It's quite likely that simple. They got squeezed this year, and next year isn't looking much better, and they want to be around after that. And we want them around after that, yesno?

I posted this earlier on " The new phone books are here" thread.

It's great that the DVDs are in Anamophic Widescreen but, After watching drumcorps all summer. I loved the DVD's for what I couldn't get during the summer. A look on the inside.

- I loved the directors/ program staff comments ( this I miss most )

- I loved the judges comments

- I loved the guard cam and drum cam

- I always catch new things from the different angles

- I give this years DVD's a C

And...

After watching DVDs ,I am very disappointed. ( I gave it a C but, now D)The corps are great. But, I really miss the extras.

One excellent part! The drum judge that got caught in the Cadets drill at the end of their show. thumbup.gif

yeah i just got to check out the DVDs on a 52 inch 1080p w/ bluray player and all...

and it was great to watch once through on mixed cam, then once through on high cam...

now i'm bored.

i'd pay an extra 20 for the extras on my age out DVD.

i feel bad for those bluecoats cats who've never had a drum cam. finally made 6th...

and now there's no drum cam...

I tend to say this every year, so allow to add my yearly comments on this topic:

DCI, and its member corps are missing the boat with these DVD's/extras. I love that they put in high scam and anamorphic wide screen on the DVD's this year. Now what needs to happen, is for corps design teams, and/or staffers record a commentary track to put on Fan Network. They can charge the same price as a regular APD, and probably make decent money for what would amount to little-to-no work/cost. They can post judges' tapes as well. It seems odd that DCI hasn't thought of this over the past few years, but I think now is a good time to push for this (since there is NONE of that on the DVD's).

Perhaps this is coming in down the pipe during the off season, but it's definitely something DCI should think about doing sooner rather than later.

Disc Room for Wide Screen! Total Crap!

Look through your non drum corps DVD collection. I just watched a DVD with two, two hour version of the movie, plus three languages, Directors comments and extras! Oh, Merry Christmas.

Edited by boxingfred

This thread is kind of redundant to one or two others that ran at the time the 2008 DVDs were first released in November. At first, what's being repeated here is what we thought in those threads as well, that it was space considerations because of the adoption of anamorphic widescreen that forced the elimination of the extras such as percussion judge commentary for the top six. But as we delved deeper into it, it became apparent that really wasn't the reason, because they still had space for many, most, or all of the extras of previous recent DVD sets even with anamorphic widescreen, if they'd stayed in a four-disc format. To support this claim, see this thread and in particular post 89 in there if you don't want to spend a lot of time reading the whole thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=119846

DCI never released a statement or interview comment addressing the reasons for the cuts that I read, but reading between the lines, it's obvious that what they were doing was saving money. They needed to cut their production costs for producing the DVD set. So why charge the same amount? By inference, they need the money. It needed to be more profitable. It's quite likely that simple. They got squeezed this year, and next year isn't looking much better, and they want to be around after that. And we want them around after that, yesno?

Just thought that everyone should read this post yet again. :blink::tongue: