Yelling's affect on corps memebers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year at a regional, I distinctly remember hearing someone to my left yell "Show me some crisp direction changes" as Devils waited to start.

Was it at Stanford? Was sitting right near him, "Show me ridiculous direction changes" was the actual statement. Got a few chuckles from the crowd, don't know if they could hear it from the field though.

I'm one to scream my head off at friends on the field before and after the show. During the show I just applaud and go crazy just like any "normal" fan :worthy:

I do hate it when a beautiful moment is ruined by rude crowd members. Such a shame...

But WOW I can't wait for the season to start!

I had friends this year just about embarrass the hell out of me coming off the field. It was in a small HS stadium... so everyone could hear them, and they were trying to break me... while I was on the field marching off... blah, it was cool though having them there... there weren't many shows where I had friends and family.. I had a sign in the crowd at West Chester... and in Allentown I had a lot of friends. Clifton show earlier in the season I had some friends.... they always yelled before and after..... I always yell before and after, I know I loved it on the field... especially when the staff would yell their things (mainly guard staff though)

let's just say i completely freaked out on some random guy for yelling in the middle of a ballade at DCI east one year... usually that crowd is pretty good.. but you get jerks everywhere.

I think its great!

Makes me almost nostalgic to hear young people yelling for thier friends on the field!

Yelling "Go Joey"! or "Get it Guard" and things like that. Its one of the distinctive things about what we do!

There are times where it just borders on obnoxious.

My favorite example is the 1992 Crossmen. Thier show was winding down nice and soft,

they had just really hit a "Grand Slam" with that performance and were really creating a phenomenally beautiful moment and then someone starts screaming just before the last note. I even remember peoples concentration just being completely broken and the focus going from the kids on the field to scanning the stands wondering who the jerk was yelling. Shame on that person. Someone told me it was a staff member once (dont know if its true) but thats even worse!

I really hoped they would edit it from my tapes (yes... i just said "Tapes").

I got the whole top 25 tapes that year and i really wanted that to be gone when i popped it in but sadly, there it was.

Maybe they can reissue? lol

jm

I used to be annoyed by that moment, but now I actually like it. I listen to 92 Crossmen probably 2 times a week. That yell is from caption head Mark Thurston who is screaming at the top of his lungs "CROSSMEN DRUM LIIIIIIIINE!" I've read a few posts about that year and that yell is full of love. Makes me smile every time.

1985, Finals. The pit had just finished our circle where we would think through our show. At that point we would stand in a line, backs to the field so we can focus on our show and not get drawn into watching the preceding show. Before our section leader called us to attention the crowd started going NUTS. They had gotten a glimpse of our drum major bringing in the rest of the corps and people were on their feet. That gave me goose bumps in a major way. We placed 9th that year, and some of the electricity I felt on the field was definitely a result of that amazing moment before we had played a single note.

Edited by TerriTroop