Cavies flute player

I apologize for this being another woodwind thread, but I am curious. During Samurai, the pit features a flute and a stringed instrument. I don't know the technical names of either instrument.

My question is, is that really a flute and how did it get approved? Maybe it's considered a whistle of some kind?

Edited by bersurkman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for this being another woodwind thread, but I am curious. During Samurai, the pit features a flute and a stringed instrument. I don't know the technical names of either instrument.

My question is, is that really a flute and how did it get approved? Maybe it's considered a whistle of some kind?

It was a slide whistle and it is a percussion instrument

A slide whistle without a slide?

If I remember correctly, the metal tube was taken out and the performer just blew across the top like a glass bottle.

Mega points for innovation and added an amazing texture and atmosphere to the show.

but wasnt he moving his fingers? I havent watched the show much because i didnt care for it.

First of all, anyone who things a slide whistle is a percussion instrument and not a wind instrument needs to have their head examined. I could care less what the "actual" classification is. A percussion instrument by definition is an instrument that is struck by an object of some kind to create its sound ie. drums, marimbas, vibes, etc. It was a flute plain and simple.

First of all, anyone who things a slide whistle is a percussion instrument and not a wind instrument needs to have their head examined. I could care less what the "actual" classification is. A percussion instrument by definition is an instrument that is struck by an object of some kind to create its sound ie. drums, marimbas, vibes, etc. It was a flute plain and simple.

Agree.

Just becuase percussionists are the ones who usually play slide whistles in bands and orchestras does not make the instrument itself a percussion instrument.

If he blew across it as in a "pop bottle" as described by an above poster that then it's most definately a flute; that's exactly HOW you produce the sound on a flute.

There was a discussion about this during the season and it didn't seem there was much disagreement about the slide whistle being a legal part of the front ensemble arsenal. What DIDN'T generate much discussion was the huge amount of IMO illegal signal processing used in the amplification to create the reverb effect for the whistle and the dulcimer. I don't think this was a gray area, because my recollection is that a lesser corps was told by the officials to stop doing this same thing a couple of years before. So it comes back to the officials being incapable, unqualified, and/or unwilling to enforce their own rules, or worse, doing it selectively.

Edited by corps-mudgeon