Cavies flute player

If the flute was in a cathedral or a grotto or even a shower room, that would be good ol' fashioned echo. What the Cavies used was good ol' fashioned electronic reverb, which is an electronic effect outside the bounds of simple amplification sanctioned in the DCI rules as of 2008.

Well the best way to deal with any sort of rule violation is to just allow for the effects to be legal.

Lookin forward to hearing what the corps end up doing with the synths :cool::cool::cool:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the best way to deal with any sort of rule violation is to just allow for the effects to be legal.

Lookin forward to hearing what the corps end up doing with the synths :cool::cool::cool:

I'm not aware of any provisions in the 2009 rules that would allow the output of a slide whistle to be picked up by a microphone and then have the signal electronically distorted to mimic an echoey space. There will of course be other less musician-driven options that can probably be used to a similar effect that will be legal. Somewhat inconsistent, but that's what happens with less than perfectly thought out rules.

Why would you laugh? Either I'm missing something (entirely possible) or you are in that bowing things is very common.

So is the arguement that all uses of slide whistle, and there were a couple last year in DCI alone and numerous through the years (Almost every show I've been in since 2002 actually....) should be illegal? Or is the eyebrow only being raised because Cavies found someone extremely talented with the thing and found a way to work it very well into their show? I know a rack player in another top 12 corps who was almost killed many times during pit rehearsals for trying to imititate the Cavies slide whistle player...poorly. That was talent on a percussion instrument. Sorry purists, but effects like calls, crank sirens, and such, are recognized as percussion instruments. And yes, I too know what the basic definition of a percussion instrument is. I also know some of the many things that are considered in the percussion family that don't neccesarily fit into the definition.

I couldn't care less that Cavies actually used it, I just take exception to it being called a percussion instrument. The bottom line is that they got away with playing a flute because it was one person, and it was in the front line. Do you think they would have gotten away with it had it been a line of ten people actually marching with the instrument like a mello line or something? No way.

Edited by BozzlyB

I couldn't care less that Cavies actually used it, I just take exception to it being called a percussion instrument. The bottom line is that they got away with playing a flute because it was one person, and it was in the front line. Do you think they would have gotten away with it had it been a line of ten people actually marching with the instrument like a mello line or something? No way.

Considering a full horn line has played kazoos on the field...

The bottom line is that they got away with playing a flute because it was one person, and it was in the front line. Do you think they would have gotten away with it had it been a line of ten people actually marching with the instrument like a mello line or something?

Hey guys ...

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Bring it!

I have yet to see a slide whistle written on a flute part...but I have seen and played one many times on a percussion part.