Cavies flute player

I think he meant something more along the lines of "I would like to hit a saxophone with mallets."

Well, that's certainly what I was thinking.

that, or

hitting two saxophones together like cymbals. :tongue:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I HAVE to go check the fan network!

edit: >_> Cruel joke! cruel joke! (although yes, that does sound similar.)

Edited by crazymello

Why would you laugh? Either I'm missing something (entirely possible) or you are in that bowing things is very common.

So is the arguement that all uses of slide whistle, and there were a couple last year in DCI alone and numerous through the years (Almost every show I've been in since 2002 actually....) should be illegal? Or is the eyebrow only being raised because Cavies found someone extremely talented with the thing and found a way to work it very well into their show? I know a rack player in another top 12 corps who was almost killed many times during pit rehearsals for trying to imititate the Cavies slide whistle player...poorly. That was talent on a percussion instrument. Sorry purists, but effects like calls, crank sirens, and such, are recognized as percussion instruments. And yes, I too know what the basic definition of a percussion instrument is. I also know some of the many things that are considered in the percussion family that don't neccesarily fit into the definition.

My bad. I was thinking synth-keyboard. The pitch bender that they all have. My brain was nowhere near 'concert keyboards.'

I've been brainwashed by electronics?

Edited by PhantomRPhan

A police whistle could qualify this way as it contains a small ball that rattles when you blow the whistle.

Wow, that's stretching a bit, isn't it? That little ball will sit there, mute and unresponding, from now till doomsday unless someone blows into that thing. It's a wind instrument! Call out the rulebook tribunal! Retroactive disqualifaction (or at least an asterisk) for every corps that ever blew a police whistle in 'Officer Krupke' or a NYC "traffic jam," or used a siren whistle in some circus show, or blew a noisemaker in some Happy New Year production. It's got to stop, right here, right now!

OK, tongue removed from cheek, sarcasm off. I don't think a slide whistle, or a samba whistle, or a police whistle, or a siren whistle is a step down the path to the end of drum corps as we know/knew it. A little leeway, your honors?

all in good fun - happy new year to all,

Fred O.

Retroactive disqualification to 1980 Guardsmen for the snare line using duck calls in the drum solo. Add one more consecutive appearance for Blue Stars to their record.

Sheesh. A slidewhistle and other mouth activated effects instruments performed by the percussion section are not wind instruments. Get over it.

Garry in Vegas