What was the best all-around year of Drum Corps in the 90's?

Just saw Colts 1993 for the first time. Damn good stuff. I don't think I can watch a single drum corps show from the early '90s and not be blown away by the energy/excitement of it all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw Colts 1993 for the first time. Damn good stuff. I don't think I can watch a single drum corps show from the early '90s and not be blown away by the energy/excitement of it all.

Yeah, great show . . . Colts 94 is a little rough around the edges, but I suspect you'd like that (and Colts 1997) as well.

I don't think I can watch a single drum corps show from the early '90s and not be blown away by the energy/excitement of it all.

Amen. A- #######- men.

I think this applies to all 90's drum corps.

To me, this is what is missing in today's drum corps. Man, I marched in the wrong decade.

Everyone's making strong cases -- but I still have to go with 1990. A quick recap (in placement order) for you youngsters:

1. Cadets - Bernstein's Greatest Hits. What else can you say? (DCE/DCI East Champion)

2. Cavaliers - Church/Choral Music. The Gloria opener/hit was amazing live. (DCI Midwest Champion)

3. Star of Indiana - Belshazzar's Feast. One of my favorite drum corps shows of all time. (DCI Mid-America Champion)

4. Blue Devils - Tommy by The Who. A rock opera in your face, with some jazz on the side. (DCI Canada Champion)

5. Phantom Regiment - Organ Symphony/Bacchanale. An underrated Phantom show. (DC Midwest Champion)

6. Santa Clara Vanguard - Carmen. My last favorite SCV show until the 2000s. (DCI South Champion)

7. Crossmen - Baroque Samba/Caravan. Classic jazz tunes and the emergence of a great drumline.

8. Bluecoats - Duke Ellington. Great big band music played by a BIG, extended hornline.

9. Madison Scouts - Lemon Squeeze/I Can Cook Too. These guys were the ultimate showmen.

10. Velvet Knights - School's Out/Summertime. VK doing their schtick. Before it got old.

11. Spirit of Atlanta - Gone With the Wind/Color Purple. The corps returns to it's roots.

12. Dutch Boy - Frank Sinatra. A Vegas show on the field powered by a strong hornline and beautiful guard.

If you haven't seen videos from this year, check it out! The ENTIRE top-12 arguably at the top of their game. Every corps has their own strong visual/musical personality -- doing their thing. A great year.

Edited by Glad To Be Hear

"Best Of";

I'd say 1964, with MANY different 'National Champions' (Kilties, Royal Airs, Cavaliers, St Kevins, Garfield & Crusaders), followed by 1966, with, again, several different 'Champs' (Crusaders, Troopers, Blessed Sacrament & Cavaliers). :thumbup:

Oh, wait, he said the 1990's.... :thumbup:

Elphaba

"Best Of";

I'd say 1964, with MANY different 'National Champions' (Kilties, Royal Airs, Cavaliers, St Kevins, Garfield & Crusaders), followed by 1966, with, again, several different 'Champs' (Crusaders, Troopers, Blessed Sacrament & Cavaliers). :thumbup:

Oh, wait, he said the 1990's.... :thumbup:

Elphaba

I would have loved to have seen these shows (and any shows from the '70s, '80s, and '90s). Being born in 1988 was like the worst thing that ever happened to me. :tongue:

Edited by Hrothgar15

After much thought, I would have to give it to 1992. 95 was a close second with so many great shows, but 92

had so much entertainment and variety in styles top to bottom. I was thoroughly entertained by the entire

top 12. I don't think there was a weak show at all among the Finalists...and I got to see it LIVE! :thumbup:

Went through some old VHS tape I had, and found a treat. I had the 1-800 Video Express VHS's of 1990, 1991, 1993. The PBS broadcasts of 1990, 1991, and the Finals broacast of 1993, were on those tapes. Really cool to see all the segments between the corps, particualrly the 1993 BD with Wayne Downey. There is a part in this where notes to "Open Wide" are on the screen, while each section plays their part in the arc. Love it.

Out of revisiiting those tapes, 1993 is my top choice or favortie year. With 1991 coming in a very close second.

Highlights of 1993:

1. Madison Scouts performing in the rain- Classic.

2. Steve Rondinaro remarking after the BD performance, "that hornline was cooking tonight"-

BD hornline that year. and the way they played the Don Ellis and Hank Levy music- Incredible.

3. Star of Indiana..for so many reasons, that have already beem remarked upon, and continue to be remarked upon, year after year.

4. Phantom...The whole suite of the first part of the show, ending with the wedge and crabwalk- Classic. Then we get Fire of Eternal Glory -More classic. Ending with Death Hunt- 3 standing ovations from the crowd with that show.

5. Cadets- The intensity of this show...The movement and drill are incredibly fast and The ballad of "In the Springtime when Kings Go to War", is I think, one of those great Cadets moments. My favorite Cadets show.

Completely stole my THUNDER.....Everything said DITTO.